Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

So much :serious: going on in this thread. Being bothered about attendances as a football fan is prepubescent and suggesting a hierarchy of fans views based on their attendance must be a wind up. Added to the suggestion that if you'd been attending through all the 'thin' and we actually won something, you could hold some sort of smug moral high ground over those that walked away due to Ashley - this thread has turned moronic. Imagine enjoying cup final day, watching Newcastle lift a cup and thinking 'those cunts weren't there through it all', during the elation. I'd genuinely feel sorry for you. This is some sort of talksport drivetime shit man.

Just being into football is a childish pursuit we don't ever grow out of.  Grown men spending our time posting on a football forum would be cringe inducing to the more pompous arsehole.

"Plastics"

"Glory hunters"

"Fairweather"

"Your support is fucking shit"

"Where' d'you park your minibus"

"Sell all your tickets, you couldn't sell..."

Supporters have more ways of baiting each other than eskimos have words for snow.  It's half the fun.

Anyone who takes that stuff seriously is a wanker, but no fan should ever give it the Billy big bollocks that all that shite is beneath them, like they're a more enlightened supporter.

Sorry like. but what has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways mean that we should be bothered about what we think about our attendances. I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

Sorry, I don't understand those sentences.

Irony ?

So much :serious: going on in this thread. Being bothered about attendances as a football fan is prepubescent and suggesting a hierarchy of fans views based on their attendance must be a wind up. Added to the suggestion that if you'd been attending through all the 'thin' and we actually won something, you could hold some sort of smug moral high ground over those that walked away due to Ashley - this thread has turned moronic. Imagine enjoying cup final day, watching Newcastle lift a cup and thinking 'those cunts weren't there through it all', during the elation. I'd genuinely feel sorry for you. This is some sort of talksport drivetime shit man.

Just being into football is a childish pursuit we don't ever grow out of.  Grown men spending our time posting on a football forum would be cringe inducing to the more pompous arsehole.

"Plastics"

"Glory hunters"

"Fairweather"

"Your support is fucking shit"

"Where' d'you park your minibus"

"Sell all your tickets, you couldn't sell..."

Supporters have more ways of baiting each other than eskimos have words for snow.  It's half the fun.

Anyone who takes that stuff seriously is a wanker, but no fan should ever give it the Billy big bollocks that all that shite is beneath them, like they're a more enlightened supporter.

Sorry like. but what has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways mean that we should be bothered about what we think about our attendances. I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

Sorry, I don't understand those sentences.

What has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways got to do with us being bothered about what they think about our attendances? I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

Garbled the first with unrelated clauses. Second one was straight forward enough mind.

What has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways got to do with us being bothered about what they think about our attendances? I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

Garbled the first with unrelated clauses. Second one was straight forward enough mind.

Being bothered by it would be a direct result of (and the primary intention behind) the goading taking place.

The entire debate started from Someone saying it's ok to boycott now, if you don't like the way the chairman is running things.  That supporting your team through thick and thin wouldn't be applicable in those circumstances.  As if the Man U fans that go to old trafford in Green and Gold would get a pass if their attendances dropped to 40k now that Moyes is doing a bit shit.  It's not a stand being made on principal if you decide to take that stand 7 years after the owner arrived, or 3 years after he appointed the manager and sold your other biggest assets.  If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing shit and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

In reality you're  throwing your toys out the pram and going in a huff.  There's no principal to it whatsoever and anyone making out otherwise is a charlatan.

If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing shit and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

In reality you're  throwing your toys out the pram and going in a huff.  There's no principal to it whatsoever and anyone making out otherwise is a charlatan.

A bit strong but I get what you're saying in general. On the other hand, people could argue that they've just finally been worn down.

If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing shit and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

A bit strong but I get what you're saying in general. On the other hand, people could argue that they've just finally been worn down.

Chances are I don't renew whenever my letter gets here.

:laugh:

Eh, I thought we were 8th and doing great? How can both be true?

What a load of fucking shit.

We were 8th at new year and there was no suggestion of a boycott.  Don't think there was after we finished 16th and signed no-one either.

But we've dropped to 17th in the form table and got trounced in a derbysince then, and without any signings that doesn't look like improving.

We were 8th at new year and there was no suggestion of a boycott.  Don't think there was after we finished 16th and signed no-one either.

But we've dropped to 17th in the form table and got trounced in a derbysince then, and without any signings that doesn't look like improving.

Might want to have a look at the thread about renewing or not, noting when it was started. Have a look at the Ashley thread. Have a look at the Kinnear thread, or the one about transfers in the summer. People have been losing the will for some time now. Ask Gemmill what he thinks. Take a look at your own blog.

If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing s*** and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

Don't think there's a blanket rational which applies to all fans who have now decided to cancel their season tickets tbf. Some, I'm sure are leaving out of principle not wanting to put money into a club where as they see it, it is sucked out straight out by an owner who wants to line his pockets without allowing the club to compete. It's fair to see how for many of these fans, who feel they have been patient with the regime, the sale and non-replacement of Cabaye could have been the final straw.

I am sure on the other hand there are also others who have decided to get out now while the going isn't looking so good and the future not so bright. Some will dress it up as principle/self esteem thing, others such as one other opinion I've read, said he had better things to do with his time and some other mug was welcome to take his place if he wanted. In a way it's hard to see why this group of people really got involved with supporting Newcastle in the first place- it's never been about winning things and more often than not has always ended in heartbreak and disappointment.

For some I'd imagine it's probably a mixture of the above, it's a complex issue that isn't really black or white if you'll pardon the pun. As far as I'm concerned I'm not gonna get judgemental about others, don't see it as being my place really and I'm sure I'd have a breaking point where I'd jack it in, just I haven't reached it yet. I am keeping my ticket as I enjoy going to support the team and away games in particular are really good crack. And in the same way I am not judgemental of others if some little jumped up cunt from the internet wants to tell me that continuing to go makes me a bad fan or responsible for the owner's actions they can fucking do one to be honest.

No principle...riiiighto-then. FWIW, I think we gave it a go in the Europa League and as long as we are showing ambition somewhere I'd have no problem. Cups, Europe whatever but the cold light of day suggests we now don't. Tread water until Ashley F's O/dies/has decided to change his tact.

Wraith on Radio Newcastle. Saying this himself, his dad and his brother aren't renewing their season tickets. Picked up on my 'North Korea' comment, which I said on the wireless yesterday morning. Says he's been warned about not criticising the regime on certain media outlets (I would assume Sky)

Moi; 2hrs 22 mins in, yesterday;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01q02lb/Alfie_and_Charlie_at_Breakfast_03_02_2014/

TS just pulled him when he mentioned about the club 'lying in court' over Keegan. It's Martin the mackem hosting again tonight. :D

Fwiw as far as I have heard the only principal in use over jacking it in is it being the final nail in a coffin that looks like it's been riveted. People have been patient, more so than I ever remember, it's not a stand against the Mackem result, against Pardew, Kinnear or Ashley, it's not a stand against a flimsy transfer policy, against sponsorship deals and a transparent business plan. It's the culmination of the above, not being able to stomach the business of Newcastle Direct that we've turned into, not sure who said it but it was pertinent; where there's no ambition, there's no hope, where there's no hope, there's no point.

We as fans have reached the lower depths of no point with this regime and their lack of ambition. What's so difficult about that to comprehend?

Wraith on Radio Newcastle. Saying this himself, his dad and his brother aren't renewing their season tickets. Picked up on my 'North Korea' comment, which I said on the wireless yesterday morning. Says he's been warned about not criticising the regime on certain media outlets (I would assume Sky)

Moi; 2hrs 22 mins in, yesterday;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01q02lb/Alfie_and_Charlie_at_Breakfast_03_02_2014/

TS just pulled him when he mentioned about the club 'lying in court' over Keegan. It's Martin the mackem hosting again tonight. :D

I want to like total sport but its garbage just a bunch of fence sitters who are afraid to to upset the apple cart.

Fair play to harps though, when they were going overboard on us being gready wanting to spend lots he stopped them and talked about the happy medium

Being bothered by it would be a direct result of (and the primary intention behind) the goading taking place.

The entire debate started from Someone saying it's ok to boycott now, if you don't like the way the chairman is running things.  That supporting your team through thick and thin wouldn't be applicable in those circumstances.  As if the Man U fans that go to old trafford in Green and Gold would get a pass if their attendances dropped to 40k now that Moyes is doing a bit s***.  It's not a stand being made on principal if you decide to take that stand 7 years after the owner arrived, or 3 years after he appointed the manager and sold your other biggest assets.  If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing s*** and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

Staggeringly ignorant.

But we've dropped to 17th in the form table and got trounced in a derby since then, and without any signings that doesn't look like improving.

Might want to have a look at the thread about renewing or not, noting when it was started. Have a look at the Ashley thread. Have a look at the Kinnear thread, or the one about transfers in the summer. People have been losing the will for some time now. Ask Gemmill what he thinks. Take a look at your own blog.

Wouldn't the "renew or not?" thread have been started because renewals were due and there's been a lot that's happened since last January, rather than as a concerted effort at kick-starting a boycott across social media?  I don't doubt there's been some individuals that have been advocating a boycott day in and out for years, but It's only in the last couple of days it's caught fire with Wraith and his poxy twitter sycophants jumping on board.

Not sure what my blog or Gemmill cancelling his ticket ages ago has to do with that either.

What grates me, as I said, is that people seem to have found their principals between the Sunderland result and now.  People who didn't see fit to cancel ahead of the well publicised deadline, when we all knew everything we needed to about the owner, but have now taken it upon themselves to partake in a campaign to get everyone to boycott and look down upon those that aren't.

Couple of other posts on the subject from elsewhere which  I found a lot to agree with....

I could not have put this better, exactly my stance on this. The thing that has fucked me off most in the couple of days since the derby is a section of our own fans. If it's not arseholes gloryfying pitch invaders (bans for life - fact) it's attention seeking whinging martyrs telling everyone again and again how they're not going back wah wah wah.

Totally agree with your sentiment, lots of fans claiming they're 'proper' supporters through thick and thin but they're not supporting while Ashley is in charge. You know what? History dictates in football that when you are well run then things tend to go well, when you are badly run then things trend to go tits up and you get the thin wedge. I saw all of this under McKeag, the best players being sold, no investment, being relegated because of it.

It's shite, I fucking hate the owner with a passion, but I was here before him and I'll be here long after the fat cunt has fucked off, which he will, and I won't stop going just like I didn't stop going under McKeag and that rabble of shite.

I respect you if you want to jack it in, and totally understand why, but I wish some supporters would stop using it as some sort of badge of honour ffs.

If youve had a ST since before 2009 then I dont understand sticking with it after the relegation season then jacking in now. Every season since then has been 1000 times better than that fuckin clamity. The only real downer was last season, but that was personally negated by 5 Euro away trips which were fuckin mint (I understand I'm incredibly lucky and this sounds smug and condecending as fuck but if you do throw yourself into it a bit then there are good times to be had following the club on the road)

Ashley does some astonishing shit things off the pitch, Pardew is limited to say the least, but ffs some folk need to get some perpsective. I dont have a lot of time for Leeds as a group of fans, but if we'd had their recent history, not to mention the fuckin ludicrous goings on at the weekend, then I think half of our err "support" would be in the coronary ward of the RVI/Singapore General. Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest spring to mind too. How many would have stuck with NUFC if we'd been down in divi 3 for a few seasons?

I was thinking earlier about when we got beat off the mackems in the playoffs. From that point onwards till Keegan charged into town we were on  dreadful downwards spiral (16k average crowd in 1991, the same season the mackems had jammed their way into divi 1 and they had 22k, last time they averaged more than us) that was directly caused by only one defeat by those fuckers. Its a different scenario now, theres no "all or nothing" play off game, but this hurts nowhere near as much as the early 90s do for me. And I flatly refuse to let them fuckin bother me that much in the first place to the extent that one result did to a lot of us 20 odd years ago. Its out of all proportion to turn tail now just because Ashley's a cunt who'll we'll never realise our potential under.

I was going to mention the Play Off game. That is still the lowest point of supporting the toon for me, lower than any relegation. I was in fucking tears that night, and my old man turned round to me on the way out and said pull yourself to fucking gether, if you let this spoil your week then you're a tit. This is football, get used to it. Never a truer word said. It's not about not caring, it's about perspective. I remember when we were crucifying the mackems during the 19 point season when Murray was running them badly, the fans refused to go, and we were calling them all fickle deserters from our lofty perch. The 'Thin' of 'Thick and Thin' happens when boards and owners make poor decisions. Like I've said, I understand and respect those who want to give it up, I know lots of lads who have in the past, quietly and in a dignified way. It's the fucking shower of knee jerk look-at-mes over the past couple of days that have boiled my piss. Fine, you don't want to go back, now shut the fuck up about it.

The bold bit really rang true with me as well.

Took my nephew to the Hull game for his first visit to SJP and he started getting teary at the final whistle.  Had to tell him to buck his ideas up and get used to it.

I blame Nick Hornby.

If you enjoyed the season where his approach took you to 5th place and then the Europa campaign that followed, but decided to make the stand when you're playing s*** and get beaten in the derby then you are doing the opposite of supporting the team through thick and thin, and you're trying to justify it with high minded footballese. 

Don't think there's a blanket rational which applies to all fans who have now decided to cancel their season tickets tbf. Some, I'm sure are leaving out of principle not wanting to put money into a club where as they see it, it is sucked out straight out by an owner who wants to line his pockets without allowing the club to compete. It's fair to see how for many of these fans, who feel they have been patient with the regime, the sale and non-replacement of Cabaye could have been the final straw.

I am sure on the other hand there are also others who have decided to get out now while the going isn't looking so good and the future not so bright. Some will dress it up as principle/self esteem thing, others such as one other opinion I've read, said he had better things to do with his time and some other mug was welcome to take his place if he wanted. In a way it's hard to see why this group of people really got involved with supporting Newcastle in the first place- it's never been about winning things and more often than not has always ended in heartbreak and disappointment.

For some I'd imagine it's probably a mixture of the above, it's a complex issue that isn't really black or white if you'll pardon the pun. As far as I'm concerned I'm not gonna get judgemental about others, don't see it as being my place really and I'm sure I'd have a breaking point where I'd jack it in, just I haven't reached it yet. I am keeping my ticket as I enjoy going to support the team and away games in particular are really good crack. And in the same way I am not judgemental of others if some little jumped up cunt from the internet wants to tell me that continuing to go makes me a bad fan or responsible for the owner's actions they can fucking do one to be honest.

Spot on.

Fwiw as far as I have heard the only principal in use over jacking it in is it being the final nail in a coffin that looks like it's been riveted. People have been patient, more so than I ever remember, it's not a stand against the Mackem result, against Pardew, Kinnear or Ashley, it's not a stand against a flimsy transfer policy, against sponsorship deals and a transparent business plan. It's the culmination of the above, not being able to stomach the business of Newcastle Direct that we've turned into, not sure who said it but it was pertinent; where there's no ambition, there's no hope, where there's no hope, there's no point.

We as fans have reached the lower depths of no point with this regime and their lack of ambition. What's so difficult about that to comprehend?

I comprehend that.  Fine with it.

Don't want to be told I'm a mug by the people that were happy to go 5 days ago.

Don't want to be told I'm a mug by the people that were happy to go 5 days ago.

is that happening? :lol:

"Match-going fans - deserving of blame?"

Seems I never read the op. I thought it was about pardew saying the fans had got on the players backs. Assumed it had developed from there into this.