Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest reefatoon

Hayden's run continues  :lol:

Poor Hayden. All he wants to do is go back to planet soft cock, but he has had his sentence extended in the disgusting wastelands of the North East.

• 2 months later...

It's a shame he's such a liability defensively and he's a bit thick because technically he's still one of our best players. He'd have a fucking field day with Almiron's pace and ability to run in behind. In fact, if him and Almiron played for 90 mins against any team outside of the top 6 together I'd bet my house he'd (Almiron) score a goal.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't think he did much wrong on Saturday personally, the momentum of the game changed after the penalty unfortunately.

With that being said, I don't think he should be in the team as he simply hasn't performed well enough to warrant starting.

He was pretty poor, missing quite a few pretty simple passes - including a ten yard pass to Schar that missed by about fifteen yards. He was also charging around like he wanted to do it all himself. Can’t blame him for wanting to take his chance, but the way he went about it wouldn’t have impressed Rafa at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Jonjo Shelvey opens up on life in Newcastle limbo after first start for 6 months

Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey admits getting "very, very down" waiting to be recalled by boss Rafa Benitez

Jonjo Shelvey admits he feared he wouldn't start another game for Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez gave the former England midfielder his first start for six months against Brighton at the weekend.

Shelvey says he's never had so many touches in a game as the visitors dominated their relegation-threatened hosts, though had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Ahead of a potential decisive match in the title race at home to his — and the manager's — former club Liverpool this weekend, the 27-year-old said: “Hand on my heart, I didn’t think I’d start this season.

"That’s the impression I was getting because the team were doing so well and it’s hard to get in; I haven’t really been given the opportunities.

“I was glad to start at Brighton. I found out the team on Friday and spoke to the family straight away to tell them I was going to be playing.

“Six months is a long time without starting a game. It’s hard to start a game after six months — it’s not as easy as people think. But I think I did reasonably well. I just want to try and maintain my place for the following week.

“I have been very, very down, because you want to play football. You can take all the money away, because at the end of the day all you want to do is play football.”

Shelvey hadn't started since November 3 and has been tipped as a possible £20m departure this summer.

He added: “I know what I can do, the club know what I can do and the manager knows what I can do. We will see what happens. People say and that I have not got a future at this football club, I don't listen to it.

“We just have to keep pushing now, go back to the training pitch and work on what we’ve done wrong today and prepare for a massive game against Liverpool.

“We felt totally in control in the first half – I’ve never had so many touches of a football in a game in my life, to be fair, so it was a good game to come back into but one that we’re coming away disappointed from.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jonjo-shelvey-opens-up-life-14970360

I like him but it’s hard to see him staying given he’s a top earner and is in and out the team. I’d like to see what he could do if he started a few games with Almiron, Perez and Rondon in front of him. That said It’s been years since I’ve watched us close down and move the ball as well with both Hayden and Longstaff in those two holding roles.

Would be delighted if we got £20m for him. The sort of side Rafa's been picking you need players with the ability to press off the ball. As much as I like seeing him ping passes and the potential for him to link up with Almiron, unless we have a really tactical re-think over the summer (aka Rafa leaving or serious money being invested) I think he's nearly done for us now.

brutal truth is we don't really need him at the moment but the summer could be a cunt if Hayden leaves and of course we'll be getting rid of Diame, should we replace those two directly (:yao:) i think you can let shelvey go and take a gamble on a youngun to be backup to the other 4

He pings the ball around but to anyone who's in space. He doesn't take the technical ability of the player he's passing to into account. He pinged over a few balls to Manquillo who just isn't good enough to control those sort of balls. Hopefully we get someone from the continent to take his place in the team. He's not reliable enough and the type of football we play just isn't suited to him.

Its not his fault if the player he passes to fucks up :lol:. You ditch Manquillo in that case, not Shelvey

Must remember to buy players that don't kick the ball too hard, as our other players have a shit first touch :lol:

Its not his fault if the player he passes to fucks up :lol:. You ditch Manquillo in that case, not Shelvey

Well that's a good point, too. Is there an example right now in world football of a player in a similar style to his that is doing well? Feel like smaller more mobile midfielders are in vogue and we're not seeing midfielders pinging diagonals as much anymore. You look at City's midfield - Silva, Fernandinho and De Bruyne. Silva's tricky, Fernandinho is tackle minded, De Bruyne is an athelete. Is his style out of date? I think so. We should sell.

The crux of this is since we've got Lejeune and Schar who are both more than capable of playing a quality long pass or long ball, Shelvey is surplus to requirements and a luxury player. He doesn't bring anything else to the table. Push him further forward and you take away the one thing he can do.

If our first choice central defence included players like Dummett and Lascelles then there's an argument for him to play, but they're not, so there isn't.