Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

This squad is probably capable of a solid mid-table finish under the right leadership. Individually, we’ve got no world class players and plenty of error-prone first team players like Dubs. Under the management of a colossal fuckwit, those errors become more frequent, and the best they can probably hope for is to just about stay up.

It’s all going to form, sadly. Nothing unexpected whatsoever.

Think I pointed out Dubravka being a liability ages ago and people did not like it.

It's well known on here that Dubravka NEVER has a poor game.  And you are slated if you say otherwise.

Isn't it strange that under Rafa we had a team playing above themselves. Dubs was class last season and barely put a foot (or hand) wrong. This season he's make a number of mistakes - too many - but to say he's now a crap keeper is rubbish. He's a decent keeper playing under a crap manager who is incapable of lifting the performance of individuals. What and who was good last season is simply the pits this season. I wonder why???

Isn't it strange that under Rafa we had a team playing above themselves. Dubs was class last season and barely put a foot (or hand) wrong. This season he's make a number of mistakes - too many - but to say he's now a crap keeper is rubbish. He's a decent keeper playing under a crap manager who is incapable of lifting the performance of individuals. What and who was good last season is simply the pits this season. I wonder why???

He made plenty of howlers under Rafa, strange angle to take.

Now that the dust has settled, on his error of the previous week. I hope people realise that Dubravka is actually a decent keeper, not perfect, we know he has an error in him from time to time but I feel the criticism is over the top when he makes a mistake.

Man Citys keeper cost them a goal yesterday, because he never held the ball, West Hams keeper made an error coming out for Feds goal yesterday too. Southampton's keeper flapped for the Man City winner. Lloris makes tonnes of mistakes and hes France's no1.

I think my point is, be thankful we dont have an idiot between the sticks, hes pretty decent, if we are honest.

Now that the dust has settled, on his error of the previous week. I hope people realise that Dubravka is actually a decent keeper, not perfect, we know he has an error in him from time to time but I feel the criticism is over the top when he makes a mistake.

Man Citys keeper cost them a goal yesterday, because he never held the ball, West Hams keeper made an error coming out for Feds goal yesterday too. Southampton's keeper flapped for the Man City winner. Lloris makes tonnes of mistakes and hes France's no1.

I think my point is, be thankful we dont have an idiot between the sticks, hes pretty decent, if we are honest.

Pretty much agree with this, he makes the odd mistake but most keepers do, he's easliy in the top 10 keeps in the Premier League currently.

And he's probably the best all round keeper we've had at the club in my lifetime.

Good balanced post.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s a top ‘keeper outside of what I consider a weak elite category of ‘keepers today, but he’s not without his mistakes. In terms of his all-round game he’s more than good enough and easily one of our best and most important players and I feel under Bruce sadly rather than a Rafa, even the very best will be exposed enough to be prone to a few clangers more than most.

That said, I think today, ‘keepers are judged tougher than any other outfield player even more where it’s a case of they have to be 100% error free in order to escape any kind of critique or judgement of their quality or otherwise. I think it’s harder for modern ‘keepers today too. Which gets me to Shay, the likes of him today would be in a league of their own above De Gea and for all his kicking/throwing faults, the game today would enable that side of his game to develop better and more. Back then it wasn’t such a critical part of their game or indeed the game as it is now.

Dubravka is comfortably the best ‘keeper I’ve seen play for us outside of Shay given his all-round game, but nowhere near the calibre he was in the same Ba wasn’t to Sir Les. To consider otherwise is stupid IMO.

He’s a top ‘keeper outside of what I consider a weak elite category of ‘keepers today, but he’s not without his mistakes. In terms of his all-round game he’s more than good enough and easily one of our best and most important players and I feel under Bruce sadly rather than a Rafa, even the very best will be exposed enough to be prone to a few clangers more than most.

That said, I think today, ‘keepers are judged tougher than any other outfield player even more where it’s a case of they have to be 100% error free in order to escape any kind of critique or judgement of their quality or otherwise. I think it’s harder for modern ‘keepers today too. Which gets me to Shay, the likes of him today would be in a league of their own above De Gea and for all his kicking/throwing faults, the game today would enable that side of his game to develop better and more. Back then it wasn’t such a critical part of their game or indeed the game as it is now.

Dubravka is comfortably the best ‘keeper I’ve seen play for us outside of Shay given his all-round game, but nowhere near the calibre he was in the same Ba wasn’t to Sir Les. To consider otherwise is stupid IMO.

There's merit to this, but it overlooks the fact that keeping is a very different role than in Given's time. Most goalkeepers stayed close to their six-yard box (Seaman's chips aside) whereas now every keeper needs to have some level of comfort on the ball and occupy more of his area. It's like comparing Batistuta to Aguero - no one plays like Batistuta anymore and while its ostensibly the same position, time has changed what it means to play in that role

Guest neesy111

Given was a top stopper, but other parts of his game were average to poor.  Command of box especially and distribution was poor.

There's few others I'd prefer between the sticks for a desperate reaction save than Given but other than that his stature made him weak in the box and it seemed like he was aware of that since he rarely came off his line to pick up balls. His distribution wasn't great either, albeit a bit exaggerated on here. All in all above average keeper in his time, and he would still be above average today, in a league below De Gea/Kepa/Allison/Schmeicel.

• 3 weeks later...

Given was a top stopper, but other parts of his game were average to poor.  Command of box especially and distribution was poor.

The amount of times he was beaten from distance with absolute ease was ridiculous and let's not even mention his pathetic record against penalties

The amount of times he was beaten from distance with absolute ease was ridiculous and let's not even mention his pathetic record against penalties

What the hell is this absolute cack?  :lol: 

Given made incredible saves in just about every match, and he seemed to have a knack of making them at vital times aswell.  His positives massively outweighed his negatives man!  He was probably worth about 10 points a season to us from about 2001 onwards.