Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rafael Benitez speaks passionately about why Newcastle are the ideal Premier League club to buy

Rafael Benitez has spoken passionately about why Newcastle United are the ideal Premier League team to buy, as owner Mike Ashley edges closer to agreeing a deal to sell the club.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that confidence is growing behind the scenes that a takeover will go through in the coming weeks, despite cynicism on Tyneside regarding Ashley’s willingness to end his 11-year reign.

Takeover talks involving Ashley and at least two potential buyers will continue this week and Benitez believes Newcastle could be the last Premier League club worth buying for anyone who wishes to challenge for silverware in England.

“I understand 100 per cent why someone would want to buy Newcastle United,” said Benitez, ahead of Sunday’s home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers. “It’s very clear, it has the potential to be one of the top sides. For me, it has to be in the top six or top eight clubs, easily.

“I’ve seen some people criticising the North East, but it’s an area with great potential. This club is the only one here in this region, which is so big, you can attract anyone.

“They have asked me about my experience in different countries and different big cities. You go to Madrid, you have four or five teams at the maximum level, you go to Milan and it’s the same. Napoli is similar to Newcastle in terms of everyone supporting one club in the city. It’s positive and unique when you have that. I see what Newcastle can be, that is why I am here.

“It is a club with the clear potential to play in Europe again and do well. If you are in the Premier League and you finish in the top eight, you can play in Europe, in any competition, in the Europa League, in the Champions League [and do well].

“Obviously, you have to go one step at a time, but with the right investment it will help you get there. Doing the right things at the right time, I think Newcastle could be a top six club.”

In 11 years under Ashley, Newcastle have been relegated twice and have secured just one top-five finish. Before 2007, Newcastle’s average league finish in the Premier League was eighth and they qualified for European competitions 11 times, which supports Benitez’s argument.

“We are already at 99 per cent capacity for home games [without success],” Benitez said. “That is extremely rare. Everybody here loves football. I can see the potential, this is a wonderful opportunity for someone [to buy it], but that does not depend on me.”

Benitez is out of contract at the end of the season and has twice refused to sign an extension, as he is not convinced Ashley shares the same ambition to challenge for a top-eight finish.

Should new owners take control, one of their first priorities will be to persuade Benitez to remain as manager, and the Spaniard will hope he will also be given more freedom to spend in the transfer market if the takeover goes through before the January transfer window opens.

Rafael Benitez speaks passionately about why Newcastle are the ideal Premier League club to buy

Rafael Benitez has spoken passionately about why Newcastle United are the ideal Premier League team to buy, as owner Mike Ashley edges closer to agreeing a deal to sell the club.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that confidence is growing behind the scenes that a takeover will go through in the coming weeks, despite cynicism on Tyneside regarding Ashley’s willingness to end his 11-year reign.

Takeover talks involving Ashley and at least two potential buyers will continue this week and Benitez believes Newcastle could be the last Premier League club worth buying for anyone who wishes to challenge for silverware in England.

“I understand 100 per cent why someone would want to buy Newcastle United,” said Benitez, ahead of Sunday’s home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers. “It’s very clear, it has the potential to be one of the top sides. For me, it has to be in the top six or top eight clubs, easily.

“I’ve seen some people criticising the North East, but it’s an area with great potential. This club is the only one here in this region, which is so big, you can attract anyone.

“They have asked me about my experience in different countries and different big cities. You go to Madrid, you have four or five teams at the maximum level, you go to Milan and it’s the same. Napoli is similar to Newcastle in terms of everyone supporting one club in the city. It’s positive and unique when you have that. I see what Newcastle can be, that is why I am here.

“It is a club with the clear potential to play in Europe again and do well. If you are in the Premier League and you finish in the top eight, you can play in Europe, in any competition, in the Europa League, in the Champions League [and do well].

“Obviously, you have to go one step at a time, but with the right investment it will help you get there. Doing the right things at the right time, I think Newcastle could be a top six club.”

In 11 years under Ashley, Newcastle have been relegated twice and have secured just one top-five finish. Before 2007, Newcastle’s average league finish in the Premier League was eighth and they qualified for European competitions 11 times, which supports Benitez’s argument.

“We are already at 99 per cent capacity for home games [without success],” Benitez said. “That is extremely rare. Everybody here loves football. I can see the potential, this is a wonderful opportunity for someone [to buy it], but that does not depend on me.”

Benitez is out of contract at the end of the season and has twice refused to sign an extension, as he is not convinced Ashley shares the same ambition to challenge for a top-eight finish.

Should new owners take control, one of their first priorities will be to persuade Benitez to remain as manager, and the Spaniard will hope he will also be given more freedom to spend in the transfer market if the takeover goes through before the January transfer window opens.

Please. Please. Someone.

Please. Please. Someone.

Hmmm...not like Rafa to start waxing lyrical, he must be starting to get his hopes up. I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to hope as well... :-X

I'm told it's on but the emergency servives have begged those involved not to make it official on a home game weekend as they don't have the manpower to supervise such a large party. Also they may need a week or so to stockpile enough alcohol.

Edit...just thought if this comes off it could be a hellish testing time for Interpolic and Jill.( Just teasing and I'm sure they knowit)