Players wages

jackyboy

Imagine falling hook, line and sinker for an answer of "why footballers, of course!" to the question "what group of people need to get called out for their avarice and relative inaction in this time of need?"

They're in the public eye. That's the nature of their employment. And a few do lead a flash lifestyle. So they make a perfect distraction and great first choice whipping boy whenever someone starts asking about what the wealthy are doing in times of crisis. But their sums are (relative) loose change in the sofa cushions of the mega millionaires and billionaires that no one talks about and it's infuriating.

Do you lot go after anyone at these times? Black athletes for example.

There aren’t really that many attempts at public shaming or scolding that I’ve seen tbh. The easy mega rich targets like Bezos, Gates, Tim Cook and the like were smart enough to start positive pr spin from the get go.

there are other people to call out before footballers:

Actors

FL drivers ( yes you Hamilton you tax dodging twat)

Golfers

Bankers

etc etc

Actors won't be getting paid for doing nowt. Neither will golfers, I expect.

It's a really dumb inclusion in that list, which in itself is rather stupid as a whole.

Guest neesy111

Would help if could spell F1 as well.  Also Hamilton has donated quite a lot of money and his vegan food brand is delivering free food for key workers.

I see the Footballers argument, even if it just an intelligent piece of PR.

What's the highest marginal tax rate in the UK - 45%? A fair compromise to me sounds like that if the players should agree to a pay cut, 45% of every dollar saved by the clubs on wages goes to recognised relief efforts and the clubs also promise to not stand down the minions working in the front lines and back offices.

What's the highest marginal tax rate in the UK - 45%? A fair compromise to me sounds like that if the players should agree to a pay cut, 45% of every dollar saved by the clubs on wages goes to recognised relief efforts and the clubs also promise to not stand down the minions working in the front lines and back offices.

Why apply that to footballers and not say companies where the execs get paid millions each year?

Why trust one drug and not the other?

Why apply that to footballers and not say companies where the execs get paid millions each year?

That's politics, innit.

Because we're on a Football forum in a thread talking about football players?

Also many CEOs and boards have already reduced or stopped taking their salaries.

Also many CEOs and boards have already reduced or stopped taking their salaries.

Many footballers may have given money to help, the point is making them. See what happens if CEOs etc HAVE to forego some of their salary if they want to or not.

Many footballers may have given money to help, the point is making them. See what happens if CEOs etc HAVE to forego some of their salary if they want to or not.

The CEOs didn't need to as such, they all did it proactively - it was a PR thing so they avoid the sticky situation the players association now finds themselves in with an ugly, awkward public stand off.  I know both the Qantas CEO and Qantas Loyalty CEO where I work aren't getting paid and have made their various donations still.

I'm not saying force the players either, especially with who generally owns these clubs and how they have behaved re: standing down ordinary staff - but there is a middle ground to be reached where they can help the club, the football pyramid and in their own way contribute financially to the fight, but not just give up money for the sake of it so Mike Ashley and Levy/his tax dodging backers can trouser it which will be the outcome if the "Put them all on minimum wage lol" crowd get their way. 

I really struggle to imagine too many players complaining about an enforced pay cut.

Matty Longstaff

Paid 'peanuts', no performance bonuses, no new contract etc etc

Not every premier league player is earning massive money (albeit most are)

I really struggle to imagine too many players complaining about an enforced pay cut.

Matty Longstaff

I believe Matty earns little enough to qualify for the govt's £2500 cap.

Matty Longstaff

I believe Matty earns little enough to qualify for the govt's £2500 cap.

But he hasnt been furloughed and is being pressurised to hand over part of his salary

It's like footballers are a different species. It's okay that unemployment is rising faster than ever, because these creatures can go straight back to their shitty £7.50 p/h jobs, once it's all over. But dare to suggest that somebody on a couple of hundred grand a week, goes without for a while and you're inhumane.