Gateshead FC

geordiedean

Guest Howaythetoon

Canny, didn’t know that. Gonna try and get to more of their games. I’m not going to suddenly become a die hard, but the football is good, atmosphere decent even at the GIS and it’s cheap enough and also a good place to catch up with some mates.

Absolutely amazing what Steve Watson is doing there mind. To have them battling for promotion with the budget he has and having to throw together almost an entire new squad is brilliant. Hope they can keep hold of him if a League 2 club comes calling. Was half expecting him to go back to Macclesfield as their manager before Sol Campbell took over.

Went today, canny game, they won 2-1. 7th in the table and a few points off a play off place. First half they cruised to a comfortable 2-0 lead and looked dominant. Second half Hartlepool come out the best side and got one back through a pen and could have grabbed a draw after another pen was awarded which they missed. Gateshead also had a man sent off. Overall they dseved the win.

They play some good stuff and seem to have a few extra gears they can go up, but played within themselves from what I gathered and regulars commented on. Over 2k there, I went with 4 others but ended up sneaking into corporate to see some mates and ended up staying with them. Basically got in for nowt. Good to see some really good friends. Ended up not staying long afterwards though, I’m on a huge drinking cut down. Not stopped yet, but cut way way down.

1 pound for a hotdog in a bap as they ran out of buns and after the match leftover sausage rolls and pies were dished out for free. My mate’s nephew is now coaching their under 19s as well after coaching roles at Man City and Burnley, lad has talent so hopefully he will go far in coaching.

Really pleased for Watson, seems to be doing a cracking job. Relegation faves at the start of the season and they play some good stuff. Very good to watch.

They are in the play offs as it's a new system this season.

Was the new system last season Boreham Wood finished 7th and ended up getting to the final

For Gateshead to only be 8 points off top after 25 games is unbelievable and for all the money Salford have spent they are a whopping 4 points ahead having played 1 more game.

Such a shame the Stadium is as shit as it is.

Holds them back so much as it is the reason a lot of people don't bother. Pretty sure that with a small neat non league/ lower league stadium they'd pull in a decent gate and have a good atmosphere.

Makes it even more remarkable how well Watson and his squad are doing against the odds.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised at that one, as York are way off the pace in the Conference North. :???:

Big club, big fanbase, moving into a new stadium next season. He's clearly looking more long term because despite their relative league positions I'd still back York to be a football league club before Gateshead are. Far more potential there.

• 1 month later...
Guest Howaythetoon

The owner is right though. They punch above their weight on the crowds they get. Unless they get 1500-2000 they’ll never survive at that level without huge losses.

The last decade they have shown they can more than survive when managed right and everyone is pulling in the right direction, but your right they have been punching above their weight and that will show eventually as seems to be e case because there is no real prospect of growing any further. Not while they remain at the International Stadium anyway.

It would be a shame if they drop or go under, but there are clubs lower down than them in the region wit much more scope to grow and be self sufficient. I’ve always thought NUFC and Gateshead could benefit each other mutually with the ‘Heed maintaining their inependance, but friendlies aside, ex Troon academy players ending up there periodically and a number of NUFC fans attending some games, there is no real ties between the two clubs.

I do know Mike Ashley has been ap-proached to invest in/buy Gateshead in the past, they badly need someone who will invest in building a stadium first. Someone who doesn’t want to make money from Gateshead itself being a football club nor saddle the costs and debts of a stadium onto the club.

If not they will have to all decide just what kind of club they will all be happy to accept which may well be an amateur social club type team playing to a few hundred on a Sunday or cease existing full stop.

What’s happening now with the owners is bad though and seems like they would rather get what they can while they can than walk away because at this level there is no money to be made and no return on any investment and no owner should be there for those purposes.

Maybe it’s time for fan ownership? I’d certainly get involved in such a scheme because I do like the club and try and support it whenever I can, however I can.

The owner is right though. They punch above their weight on the crowds they get. Unless they get 1500-2000 they’ll never survive at that level without huge losses.

The last decade they have shown they can more than survive when managed right and everyone is pulling in the right direction, but your right they have been punching above their weight and that will show eventually as seems to be e case because there is no real prospect of growing any further. Not while they remain at the International Stadium anyway.

It would be a shame if they drop or go under, but there are clubs lower down than them in the region wit much more scope to grow and be self sufficient. I’ve always thought NUFC and Gateshead could benefit each other mutually with the ‘Heed maintaining their inependance, but friendlies aside, ex Troon academy players ending up there periodically and a number of NUFC fans attending some games, there is no real ties between the two clubs.

I do know Mike Ashley has been ap-proached to invest in/buy Gateshead in the past, they badly need someone who will invest in building a stadium first. Someone who doesn’t want to make money from Gateshead itself being a football club nor saddle the costs and debts of a stadium onto the club.

If not they will have to all decide just what kind of club they will all be happy to accept which may well be an amateur social club type team playing to a few hundred on a Sunday or cease existing full stop.

What’s happening now with the owners is bad though and seems like they would rather get what they can while they can than walk away because at this level there is no money to be made and no return on any investment and no owner should be there for those purposes.

Maybe it’s time for fan ownership? I’d certainly get involved in such a scheme because I do like the club and try and support it whenever I can, however I can.

A few years ago the FA proposed an idea where bigger clubs like Newcastle could buy a 10% share in smaller local clubs like Gatehead. With it they could use the smaller club as a semi-sort of academy and have strong ties with the club. Something like this would have been ideal for Gateshead. I dare say a promising youngster from the academy playing for them would draw a few more supporters in.

Gateshead having a stadium that also doubled up as our academy/reserves stadium and possible shared training facilities would lessen a financial burden from the likes of Gateshead and other clubs around the UK.

Ashley would never get involved in Gateshead because there is no money to be made out of the relationship, not in the short or medium term in anyway. He will also see 1,000 fans going to see Gateshead play as 1,000 fans who should be coming to SJP. Additionally the current rules would prevent him from doing so, even if he did suddenly decide to stop being a cunt.