Gateshead FC

geordiedean

Am I looking into this in too much depth but does it say something about our Academy coaching that two lads cast aside about 5 years ago have managed to develop at a fooking non-league club to forge careers in the Scottish Premier and now probably League One?

Aye, lower level Scottish Premier is League 1/2 at best. They've been playing regular football so have improved as players I don't think it shows anything about our coaching set up.

Maddison was a funny case. His name always seemed to crop up a fair bit on reserve team match reports for goals and assists, and then he was released early with some of the crapper ones in his clutch.

Am I looking into this in too much depth but does it say something about our Academy coaching that two lads cast aside about 5 years ago have managed to develop at a fooking non-league club to forge careers in the Scottish Premier and now probably League One?

Aye, lower level Scottish Premier is League 1/2 at best. They've been playing regular football so have improved as players I don't think it shows anything about our coaching set up.

The main thing I notice at Gateshead about youngsters from premier league academies who play for us, is that in the majority it takes 2+ months of regular playing time for them to adapt to the physicality of senior football, and only then do they start to look like match winners.

Obviously there are one or two exceptions to that rule, but it basically highlights a big problem with the physically weak nature of reserve team football. I don't agree with that daft B team idea, but something needs to be done to progress young homegrown talent through, or the future will only become bleaker for the England National Team.

Marcus Maddison has signed for Peterborough.

Newcastle's academy is shocking. It's taken a few months for Gary Mills to sit the lad down, talk to him and make him realise how good he can be. When he arrived at Gateshead he was a big time Charlie who was a decent individual with a very dodgy temperament.

Marcus Maddison has signed for Peterborough.

Newcastle's academy is shocking. It's taken a few months for Gary Mills to sit the lad down, talk to him and make him realise how good he can be. When he arrived at Gateshead he was a big time Charlie who was a decent individual with a very dodgy temperament.

Hope they get a decent fee.

Looks like they've done well out of it.

Gateshead forward Marcus Maddison has signed for League One club Peterborough United on a permanent deal.

The 20-year-old leaves the International Stadium for a club record fee, and the sizeable six-figure sum is likely to rise due to various add ons.

The Heed also have a 20% sell-on clause for Maddison, who has agreed a four-year contract with The Posh.

Looks like they've done well out of it.

Gateshead forward Marcus Maddison has signed for League One club Peterborough United on a permanent deal.

The 20-year-old leaves the International Stadium for a club record fee, and the sizeable six-figure sum is likely to rise due to various add ons.

The Heed also have a 20% sell-on clause for Maddison, who has agreed a four-year contract with The Posh.

£250,000 rising to £500,000 I saw on Twitter. :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

A mate of mine has just signed a one year deal – Carl Finnigan. He was on NUFC’s books when younger and had spells at Falkirk and Dundee and was over in South Africa last season! Cracking lad and player and hopefully the full summer of playing 7 a side with us a few times a week has kept him in good shape and nick  :D