Gateshead FC

geordiedean

Guest Heneage

Neil's friend is right. Bit of a turgid affair with lots of hoofball. Darlington did their best to disrupt any kind of football on the ground they never looked like scoring or really tried.

Chants of towns of peedo's rang round and at full-time Darlo invaded the pitch like a Danny Dyer tribute act.

Absolutely gutted, a massive opportunity missed.

Darlington were never gonna let us play football, and just came to spoil and attempt to hit on the break. Fair play to them, but we lost it in that crazy last half hour down their place last week.

Still, little old Gateshead have come a long way in the last 3 years and have a bright future ahead.

Not been following this thread, how's Tavernier getting on?

He's been excellent, we'll be very sad to lose him next month when his loan's up.

He caused Darlington so many problems last week, they detailed their striker Liam Hatch to man mark him as soon as they lost possession today. He's a modern fullback who's great going forward, and is strong defensively. Occasionally overdoes it and gives the ball away, but he's young and that should come with time and experience.

Was impressed with the game yesterday. Two things to note though...

a) That Deasy in goal is possibly the worst professional goalkeeper I've seen in my life. :lol:

b) Adam Rundle looked quality, couldn't understand it when he came off because he seemed to be the one who created problems down the left for Gateshead.

Not been following this thread, how's Tavernier getting on?

He's been excellent, we'll be very sad to lose him next month when his loan's up.

He caused Darlington so many problems last week, they detailed their striker Liam Hatch to man mark him as soon as they lost possession today. He's a modern fullback who's great going forward, and is strong defensively. Occasionally overdoes it and gives the ball away, but he's young and that should come with time and experience.

Was in our school team for a year or two until he moved to Margate or somewhere, couldn't get an outfield place so had to play in goal  :coolsmiley:

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone fancies a match on Tuesday night, admission for tomorrow night's match - Gateshead v Eastbourne Borough has been reduced to £5.

In recognition of the large number of home games in April, and the excellent support this season, admission prices have been slashed for Tuesday's (12th April, 7:45pm) Blue Square Bet Premier game against Eastbourne Borough.

As a one-off gesture the directors have decided to make entry for the game against Eastbourne just £5 across the board, under 16s when accompanied by a paying adult allowed free entry as usual.

Adults: £5

Concessions: £5

Under 16s: free with paying adult.

Kick-off on Tuesday is 7:45pm and chairman Graham Wood hopes many people will take up the generous offer while acknowledging the valued support of the regular fans.

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/3382/gateshead-v-eastbourne-borough-tuesday-12th-april-admission-prices-slashed

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone fancies a match on Saturday, Gateshead conclude our second season back in the Conference with a home game against Newport County. Kick-off is at 5:15pm, due to TV all conference matches must start on the final day at the same time (Tamworth v Forest Green Rovers - relegation battle being live on satellite channel Premier Sports TV).

Not a bad season, it may've tailed away a bit towards the end but comfortably finishing mid-table, making the FA Cup 1st round and FA Trophy Semi-Final shows progress. Hopefully if the manager can add 4 or 5 quality players for next season we can kick-on towards the play-offs.

Gateshead v Newport County - Tomorrow (Sat 30th April), Gateshead International Stadium, kick-off 5:15pm

If anyone fancies a match on Saturday, Gateshead conclude our second season back in the Conference with a home game against Newport County. Kick-off is at 5:15pm, due to TV all conference matches must start on the final day at the same time (Tamworth v Forest Green Rovers - relegation battle being live on satellite channel Premier Sports TV).

Not a bad season, it may've tailed away a bit towards the end but comfortably finishing mid-table, making the FA Cup 1st round and FA Trophy Semi-Final shows progress. Hopefully if the manager can add 4 or 5 quality players for next season we can kick-on towards the play-offs.

Gateshead v Newport County - Tomorrow (Sat 30th April), Gateshead International Stadium, kick-off 5:15pm

We're doing a football double tomorrow. Dunston UTS v Newcastle Benfield at 3pm, then across to Gateshead v Newport followed by a night in the town (that's Newcastle, not Gateshead!)

Guest Heneage

Just seen that Richard Offiong was released today, 27 years old now. Doesn't seem that long ago he was being spoken about in the same mould as Chopra when they were scoring for fun in the U18s and reserves.

My Dad used to take us to watch the youth team if he had the Saturday off work and I remember seeing him about half a dozen times. I must admit compared to Shola who had played a few years prior he never looked that special tbh. You could see despite his shortcomings that Shola would make it, in fact I remember my Dad asking me to check his name on the posted team sheets.

Just seen that Richard Offiong was released today, 27 years old now. Doesn't seem that long ago he was being spoken about in the same mould as Chopra when they were scoring for fun in the U18s and reserves.

My Dad used to take us to watch the youth team if he had the Saturday off work and I remember seeing him about half a dozen times. I must admit compared to Shola who had played a few years prior he never looked that special tbh. You could see despite his shortcomings that Shola would make it, in fact I remember my Dad asking me to check his name on the posted team sheets.

Are you Alan Carr?

Guest Heneage

Are you Alan Carr?

:lol:

Sadly not mate. I remember he played up top with a nippy striker who looked decent, can't for the life of me remember his name tbh. It was quite fun to watch the games actually if I lived closer to the training ground I'd consider going along now I only did it back then as they played at Maiden Castle.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Are you Alan Carr?

:lol:

Sadly not mate. I remember he played up top with a nippy striker who looked decent, can't for the life of me remember his name tbh. It was quite fun to watch the games actually if I lived closer to the training ground I'd consider going along now I only did it back then as they played at Maiden Castle.

Carl Finnigan?

One of those strange players who has ability, but frustratingly rarely shows it. Good luck to the lad though, he was worth a gamble on a month to month deal.

Harrogate Town says thanks for Graeme Armstrong! 22 goals in 39 games. :smug:

I'd take Armstrong back in an instant, shame he didn't want to commit to full time football.

One of those strange players who has ability, but frustratingly rarely shows it. Good luck to the lad though, he was worth a gamble on a month to month deal.

Harrogate Town says thanks for Graeme Armstrong! 22 goals in 39 games. :smug:

I'd take Armstrong back in an instant, shame he didn't want to commit to full time football.

He's the best target man I've seen at semi-pro level. If he got more service he'd be a machine. Doesn't lose a header, doesn't miss a pen, brilliant first touch. :thup:

• 2 months later...

Our 2nd season as a pro-club and Bogie's 5th season as boss begins on Saturday with the first friendly against Lee Clark's Huddersfield Town at the International Stadium.

July - 2011

Sat 09 Huddersfield Town - Home FR 15:00

Wed 13 Harrogate Town - Away FR 19:30

Sat 16 Carlisle United - Home FR 14:00

Tue 19 Kendal Town - Away FR 19:30

Thu 21 Workington - Away FR 19:00

Wed 27 Whitley Bay - Away FR 19:30

Sat 30 Sunderland XI - Home FR 15:00

August - 2011

Tue 02 Newcastle United XI - Home FR 19:30

Sat 06 Guiseley - Away FR 15:00

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/fixtures

At the end of last season we released: Andy Ferrell (MID), Craig Nelthorpe (LW), Paul Heckinbottom (LB), Carl Jones (CD), Steven Baptist (CM), Jonny Allan (FWD), Richard Offiong (FWD), with Ashley Winn (MID) having been transfer listed.

Ian Bogie has so far signed:

Yemi Odubade (FWD) - Nigerian striker from Stevenage, was their leading scorer in their promotion campaign.

Eddie Odhiambo (RB) - Tanzanian defender who was with Stevenage and signed from Newport County.

Sam Rents (LB) - Defender from Crawley, was expected to start last season at Crawley as 1st choice left-back but smashed his cheek bone in pre-season. They then exercised their financial clout.

Micky Cummins (MID) - Experienced midfielder signed from Grimsby Town.

We made a failed bid for ex-Hartlepool midfielder Tommy Miller who signed for Huddersfield, so probably need to add another central midfielder, central defender and left winger to the squad for hopefully an attempt on the play-offs.

This season we've moved training base from the back pitches at the International Stadium to the new Russell Foster Football Centre in Durham. The back pitches were getting ruined from over use with Gateshead College's Football Academy also using them.

So the Gateshead squad so far looks like:

1. Tim Deasy (GK) - Former Stockport, Macclesfield and Barrow keeper.

2. Eddie Odhiambo (RB) - Tanzanian defender who was with Stevenage and signed from Newport County.

3. Sam Rents (LB) - Ex-Brighton left back from Crawley.

4. Kris Gate (MID) - Former Newcastle youth teamer

5. James Curtis (DEF) - Been at the club for nearly 10 years and still arguably looks the best player.

6. Ben Clark (DEF) - Former Hartlepool and Sunderland defender, and club captain.

7. Martin Brittain (RW) - Ex-Newcastle, Yeovil & Kidderminster. Lead the Conference in assists last season.

8. Phil Turnbull (MID) - Him and Gatey have been our leading midfield pair for the last 3 seasons. On his day one of the best passers in the league. Ex-Hartlepool.

9. Jon Shaw (FWD) - Former Sheff Wed striker signed from Mansfield. Formed a nice double act with Brittain. Brittain cross, Shaw headed goal.

10. Yemi Odubade (FWD) - Nigerian striker from Stevenage. Oba Martins type, hopefully with a better 1st touch though.

11. Micky Cummins (MID) - Experienced midfielder signed from Grimsby Town.

12. Nathan Fisher (FWD) - Ex-Boro youth, found his feet in the 2nd half of last season with some explosive performances.

13. Paul Farman (GK) - Former Newcastle youth teamer.

14. Craig Baxter (RB) - Into his 5th season at the club. Attacking right-back, ex-Newcastl youth.

15. Gary Mulligan (FWD) - Irish, old fashioned type forward. Started out at Wolves, more recently with Gillingham and Northampton.

16. Josh Gillies (RW/LW) - Young winger who came through Gateshead College's Football Academy, featured for Whitley Bay in their vase final.

17. James Marwood (RW) - Former Newcastle youth, lightening quick but needs to develop and end product.

Hopefully it'll be an exciting season ahead.