Alan Shearer

Weznufc

It was an honour for me to play for Newcastle. Not just because I was a local lad and a fan.

It was an honour to play for a set of supporters with so much passion and pride and hope and desire.

I wouldn’t have changed that for more titles and medals.

:love:

Can someone paste that please? I don't want to give The Sun hits.

Ten games to go? Newcastle fans can’t stomach another 90 mins of this rubbish

Alan Shearer runs the rule over the sorry situation on Tyneside

By ALAN SHEARER, SunSport columnist

22:30, 6 Mar 2016

THE MOST shameful slur anyone can possibly aim at a professional player is that they simply don’t care about their club.

But today that can be aimed at 90 per cent of Newcastle’s players.

Their pathetic performance against Bournemouth proved it once and for all.

Was I surprised by it? I shouldn’t have been after the dross that has been served up by the team this season.

But still I expected so much more in a must-win game.

Bournemouth arrived at St James’ Park knowing they were still in a relegation fight — and rolled their sleeves up.

They came with an attitude that they were simply not going to be beaten, not going to go down. They put their bodies on the line with every single player pulling in the same direction.

Not so their opponents. I think in Newcastle’s side only midfielder Jonjo Shelvey can escape criticism.

Then the manager Steve McClaren comes out after the game and tells us the positive is that there are ten games left.

I would suggest that’s actually a negative, because many fans can’t take another 90 minutes of this, never mind ten of them.

They have Leicester up next — and having witnessed another superb display from them on Saturday in winning against Watford — I think boss Claudio Ranieri’s men could rack up a cricket score.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is a very wealthy businessman but surely even he can see that this model is not — and will not — work at the club.

They have spent £80million on players this season and, at the moment, Shelvey looks like the only good investment.

The person who never seems to get a mention in this whole mess is chief scout Graham Carr.

He holds a lot of power in terms of recruiting and selling players — and has quite frankly made a pig’s ear of it.

We keep hearing statements of intent from the club, shame we never get one on the pitch.

Most recently on Saturday the players issued one as to how they were behind their manager.

Well if that was playing for their manager, goodness knows what will happen when they down tools.

Quite simply they are not playing for McClaren or the Newcastle fans.

Steve was very lucky to get this job after overseeing Derby’s implosion last season.

For some time now he has looked powerless to stop a slide into the Championship. Because that is where I am CONVINCED my club is heading now.

And don’t believe that the size of the club means they will be bouncing back any time soon either. They could go right through the Championship as well, because there are barely any characters in this side who would fight to get the club back up. They simply do not care.

They have betrayed a club, a city, a community, with their lacklustre and totally heartless performances.

They may even be responsible for losing a generation of fans.

When I joined this club in 1996, it was everyone’s second-favourite team.

Fans from outside of Newcastle loved the passion around the club, the feeling and the way we played football.

Now everything around it is just negative.

The club even alienates a media that wants them to do well by having unedifying rows and bust-ups.

Quite simply, to save themselves Newcastle are going to have to do better than Sunderland between now and the end of the season.

I don’t see that happening. You watch Sunderland under Sam Allardyce and you see a team that wants to stay in this division.

A team that wants to fight for their club.

They will meet at St James’ Park in a fortnight, in what could be a winner-stays-up clash. It is now five years since Newcastle last beat their local rivals — and Sunderland have won the last six meetings.

I expect them to make that seven.

There is simply no evidence that this Newcastle team are suddenly going to turn the corner and find a performance anywhere near worthy of a shirt graced by so many great players down the years.

It was an honour for me to play for Newcastle. Not just because I was a local lad and a fan.

It was an honour to play for a set of supporters with so much passion and pride and hope and desire.

I wouldn’t have changed that for more titles and medals.

I would have liked to have got some for the club and we came mighty close — but it was still a fantastic time.

A time when the club was the heart of the community and had players who wanted what those fans wanted. Not now, not any more, and that is shameful, just shameful.

Guest Howaythetoon

He looked angry as fuck on MOTD the other night. If only a handful of players had his professionalism and mentality we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

He's let rip there and said the bits I always wondered why he would leave out. Fair play Al!

We need more legends coming out like this giving the whole club a real bashing.

• 1 month later...

I used to say God about Shearer but now that is reserved for Sir Bob. What a legend though. Cannot believe people genuinely put someone like Ben Arfa in that bracket. Sometimes this forum is laughable. #CueCriticismFromEveryone

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk