U23s & Academy

Skirge

Just thinking about our most notable Academy graduates... they've all been injury prone.

Andy Carroll

Paul Dummett

Steven Taylor

Shola Ameobi (played through crippling hip injury)

Would it be fair to say James Tavernier is our most successful active Academy product? How is his injury record since leaving the club?

Paul Gascoigne?

Clubs do it already don’t they? Sure I remember reading Southampton do, or did.

Probably. I mean Manchester United managed to take Shola Shoretire from under our noses.

They took him directly from the academy, by giving his dad a 'job' so they'd move to Manchester. And it was Man City.

Reading about it here.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2198709/2021/01/13/man-city-soccer-football/

Probably. I mean Manchester United managed to take Shola Shoretire from under our noses.

They took him directly from the academy, by giving his dad a 'job' so they'd move to Manchester. And it was Man City.

Reading about it here.

How has he had such a shite career after being so highly rated?

Reading about it here.

Yeah that seems very familiar.

Reading about it here.

Yeah that seems very familiar.

Usual story of just signing a player so others couldn't get him

• 1 month later...

Is an academy more or less a waste of time when you've got a really bad manager of the first team? Could just be a cliché but I'd assume that an academy functions better when there's a defined ethos throughout the club, which is obviously led by the first team. That might not be the case so much any more when you consider the lifespan of a management team regardless of how talented they might be, or their application of a philosophy (ironic how we give the most time to managers without a defined vision or plan).

Off the top of my head, lets look at the last decade of players that made their league debut for Newcastle from the Academy (and where the ultimately ended up)

Shane Ferguson (Championship)

Haris Vuckic (Championship/Scottish Premier/Injured forever)

Andy Carroll (EPL/Injured forever)

Paul Dummett (EPL/Injured forever)

Sean Longstaff (EPL)

Matty Longstaff (EPL)

Tamas Kadar (Ukraine PL/forever injured)

Rolando Aarons (Championship/forever injured)

Adam Armstrong (Championship)

Sammy Ameobi (Championship)

Jak Alnwick (League One/Scottish Premier)

James Tavernier (Scottish Premier)

Elliot Anderson (EPL)

Adam Campbell (League Two/National League)

Jamie Sterry (League Two)

15 'graduates' (and I might have missed some) over 10 years isn't terrible. Although, I guess all that matters to some is their actual ability, which seems to be around Championship level.

Outside of those that made a debut for us, there's the following players that came through our Academy but we allowed to leave:

Fraser Forster (Scottish Premier/forever injured)

Freddie Woodman (Championship)

Lewis Gibson (Everton/Championship)

Dan Barlasr (Championship)

Brad Inman (League One)

Aaron Spear (Icelandic Premier)

Jeff Henderson (Irish Premier)

Ben Sayer (Morpeth FA Trophy winner)

Conor Newton (St. Mirran League Cup winner/injured/semi-pro)

If you go back further:

Steven Taylor (EPL/Forever Injured)

Paul Huntington (Championship)

David Edgar (Championship)

Kazenga LuaLua (Championship)

Peter Ramage (Championship/Injured)

Shola Ameobi (Championship/Champions League/INJURIES)

So, aye, while we might not be developing the next Shearer, Waddle, Beardsley, Watson, Clark, Gazza or whatever, I wouldn't say the Academy has been terrible or a waste of time. If I could be bothered, I'd sort it by year and the manager that gave the debut. But no.

The academy was infamous for originally recruiting physicallity over technique with an unwritten 'no under 6ft' rule. That changed probably around 10 years ago, strangely enough. Where the academy started to recruit footballers they could coach, rather trying to teach big kids how to play football (Andy Mogwo). The adoption of Coever coaching can be seen with the development of both the Longstaffs, who were pretty much poster childs for the program at one point.

Hard to give youngsters a chance when the club is barely hanging on to PL football every season. When those youngsters and reserves have gotten chances in the league cup, they've failed miserably.

Not slagging Victor or even Rafa's time here but the academy itself is a shambles, and the players produced have 1) not cut it or 2) don't get the chance when in form and the team is playing well because 3) we are always fucking struggling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Nice to see the club is up with last months news. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9305279/Newcastle-United-academy-director-Joe-Joyce-stood-wife-raises-dispute-club.html 

Just clearing the decks for Alex Bruce. 

So much irony in this, considering all the untreated and unrecognised injuries that have happned to children under Joe Joyce's watch. Daniel Leadbitter was playing with a fractured spine at one point...