James Milner

Alberto2005

If HTT cant see why pace is invaluable then he needs to start watching another sport. Is it the be all and end all? Probably not. Is it handy? Very. Seriously. Senseless argument.

I recognise pace is important though Pie, I just don't regard it as very important so long as a player has other tools at his disposal which Milner obviously does, and despite his lack of pace he's not doing too bad. My argument isn't with you or the debate about Milner being good enough or not anyway, but with the mentality within the game that pace is a must have and the effects that's having on youth football, or rather the detrimental effect it's having.

He doesn't though. That is the point. Solano clearly did. Milner clearly doesn't. If he did have then there wouldn't be a debate. Pace has always been useful by the way. Its not a new thing. JET Milburn springs to mind.

If pace wasnt necessary then ask Bobby Robson why he always bought it/used it. From Alan Brazil to Gary Lineker (yes he was lightning in his prime) to Ronaldo to Craig Bellamy. Same applies to Alex Ferguson and Wenger. Would you say they were successful managers?

Of course other things are useful. However, it is daft to suggest it is a new phenomenon. The game is more physical and way faster. Without pace, people struggle nowadays. Particularly in the Prem.

However, its nothing new. Ask Kevin Keegan why he retired.

Didn't Sir Bob buy Milner ??  :coolsmiley:

Look i know you don't like Milner whilst i really rate the lad. I can't see your point of view at all really. Milner is a credit to our club and is a good talent as is Zoggy and Taylor imo. I don't think i'll be able to change your mind so i'm not going to bother.

You are quite right.

Apart from people who are a credit to the club are those who do well for it by making a significant difference. Therein lies the rub.

Freddie Shepherd bought him by the way. SBR signed Fumaca, he wasnt infallible!  :razz:

SBR also signed Ronaldo etc

Pie you don't half talk alot of shit Freddy bought him because SBR wanted him. SBR didn't buy him cause he's shit.

I've also seen Waddle play plenty of times and Milner is probably at least as fast as him possibly faster. Milner isn't as quick as lennon SWP Dyer etc that doesn't make him slow, they are all just very quick. Viduka would be my idea of slow.

If HTT cant see why pace is invaluable then he needs to start watching another sport. Is it the be all and end all? Probably not. Is it handy? Very. Seriously. Senseless argument.

I recognise pace is important though Pie, I just don't regard it as very important so long as a player has other tools at his disposal which Milner obviously does, and despite his lack of pace he's not doing too bad. My argument isn't with you or the debate about Milner being good enough or not anyway, but with the mentality within the game that pace is a must have and the effects that's having on youth football, or rather the detrimental effect it's having.

He doesn't though. That is the point. Solano clearly did. Milner clearly doesn't. If he did have then there wouldn't be a debate. Pace has always been useful by the way. Its not a new thing. JET Milburn springs to mind.

If pace wasnt necessary then ask Bobby Robson why he always bought it/used it. From Alan Brazil to Gary Lineker (yes he was lightning in his prime) to Ronaldo to Craig Bellamy. Same applies to Alex Ferguson and Wenger. Would you say they were successful managers?

Of course other things are useful. However, it is daft to suggest it is a new phenomenon. The game is more physical and way faster. Without pace, people struggle nowadays. Particularly in the Prem.

Look i know you don't like Milner whilst i really rate the lad. I can't see your point of view at all really. Milner is a credit to our club and is a good talent as is Zoggy and Taylor imo. I don't think i'll be able to change your mind so i'm not going to bother.

You are quite right.

Apart from people who are a credit to the club are those who do well for it by making a significant difference. Therein lies the rub.

Freddie Shepherd bought him by the way. SBR signed Fumaca, he wasnt infallible!  :razz:

Pie you don't half talk alot of s*** Freddy bought him because SBR wanted him. SBR didn't buy him cause he's s***.

I've also seen Waddle play plenty of times and Milner is probably at least as fast as him possibly faster. Milner isn't as quick as lennon SWP Dyer etc that doesn't make him slow, they are all just very quick. Viduka would be my idea of slow.

viana would be my idea of slow. who signed him ?

You are quite right.

Pie you don't half talk alot of s*** Freddy bought him because SBR wanted him. SBR didn't buy him cause he's s***.

Hence the  :razz: You seem to have proven that you didnt see him in his stint at St James. Utter nonsense tbh

Unfortunately you fail to see how many times Waddler could simply outpace teams from the half way line. Something Milner simply isnt capable of. Example? Aston Villa in 1984 comes to mind. He did John Anderson for pace when he was at Tottenham too and despite Andos flaws he was the quickest in the squad at the time. To suggest that Milner is possibly faster is like saying Freddie Mercury was heterosexual tbh

It would be an interesting race between Viana and Milner. Certainly both lacked pace. Certainly Viana had a way more productive spell out wide in 2003 than Milner has ever had. He was pretty average out there as well as well mind. The difference is that Viana isnt at his best out wide. Not that he was much cop elsewhere.

You are quite right.

Hence the  :razz: You seem to have proven that you didnt see him in his stint at St James. Utter nonsense tbh

Unfortunately you fail to see how many times Waddler could simply outpace teams from the half way line. Something Milner simply isnt capable of. Example? Aston Villa in 1984 comes to mind. He did John Anderson for pace when he was at Tottenham too and despite Andos flaws he was the quickest in the squad at the time. To suggest that Milner is possibly faster is like saying Freddie Mercury was heterosexual tbh

It would be an interesting race between Viana and Milner. Certainly both lacked pace. Certainly Viana had a way more productive spell out wide in 2003 than Milner has ever had. He was pretty average out there as well as well mind. The difference is that Viana isnt at his best out wide. Not that he was much cop elsewhere.

i saw waddle at SJP (for and against) and he WAS NOT a speedster he had technique and nouse but never had the pace to just take someone on for pace. anderson quickest in our squad ?? as for vianas being more productive then milner in that position you have convinced me you'll lie to win an argument.

Guest LucasUnger

i really don't want to discuss the meaning of slow or fast. i really like milner always did and always will. he's a very important player for us atm and he's still young. if he can develop then we'll have an excellent player in the near future.

You are quite right.

i saw waddle at SJP (for and against) and he WAS NOT a speedster he had technique and nouse but never had the pace to just take someone on for pace. anderson quickest in our squad ?? as for vianas being more productive then milner in that position you have convinced me you'll lie to win an argument.

Waddle was way way quicker than you give him credit for. Anderson was indeed being the quickest in the sqaud at the time. I am sure you knew that though. PM me if youre interested in more info. From your description of Waddle I am doubting you saw him from 1982 -85. Were you at the those games or just making it up? Terry Mac makes some very intersting comments about Waddlers pace too. He looked knackered but even at 30 odd but he still managed to outpace people for Wednesday.

As for Viana? His productive spell at the beginning of 2003 was ok. Nothing that Milner has done will convince even the most myopic that there is any real difference.

I am sure you can make a direct comparison between Waddle vs Villa in 1984 (at home, we won 3-0) and Milner versus who? Even Waddles England debut goal puts Milners lack of pace into perspective.

i really don't want to discuss the meaning of slow or fast. i really like milner always did and always will. he's a very important player for us atm and he's still young. if he can develop then we'll have an excellent player in the near future.

Pretty sure you'll be disappointed.

Chrissy Waddle was fast, as Pie has said. He was also far better in front of goal. Milner is sort of like a poor man's Waddle, but in his defence, he does work far harder than Waddle did. he did well yesterday as part of a team, and it is a team game after all.

You are quite right.

Waddle was way way quicker than you give him credit for. Anderson was indeed being the quickest in the sqaud at the time. I am sure you knew that though. PM me if youre interested in more info. From your description of Waddle I am doubting you saw him from 1982 -85. Were you at the those games or just making it up? Terry Mac makes some very intersting comments about Waddlers pace too. He looked knackered but even at 30 odd but he still managed to outpace people for Wednesday.

As for Viana? His productive spell at the beginning of 2003 was ok. Nothing that Milner has done will convince even the most myopic that there is any real difference.

I am sure you can make a direct comparison between Waddle vs Villa in 1984 (at home, we won 3-0) and Milner versus who? Even Waddles England debut goal puts Milners lack of pace into perspective.

yup i was there those seasons so don't doubt it and i stand by what i said. he relied vastly on technique and very parely pace. he was quicker than he looked but not a speedster.(in fact i'm struggling to remember waddle over taking anyone or standing level with someone and beating them purely for pace)

as for viana if you can't see the difference then it's because you don't want to.

for the last bit at what point did i compare waddle as a player to milner ? waddle was one of the most underrated players england has produced in my lifetime

Waddle's trickery, at that time, always gave him the ability to make a yard of space for himself to get a cross in. He was a great dribbler and a very fast carrier of the ball, close control at speed. He loved to run at players too which kept defenders on the back foot. He always looked lazy because of the slouch and jog he used to do but he could show a fleet foot when needed. 

One of our most important players at the moment, Seems to me that he's really matured as a player, obviously hasn't got the natural pace to knock it past a player and rely on his pace to get it but his technique is good and has a trick or two if he needs to use it. I think if he's to go to the next level he needs to start scoring a few more goals but i've been very impressed by him so far, what do you think? How important do you think he's to our team atm?

I seconded that 100% and also I think he is the first one to be included when you right the best eleven. I really like his attitude too. I can see the lad be a world class player when he turns 25 and 26.

Guest elbee909

Milner is a young attacking utility player who chips in with the odd goal and pass.  He's not world class but he's useful and every team needs those players.  So he's not Cristiano Ronaldo - big deal.  The likes of Stephen Carr are probably on a lot more money and do a fuck of a lot less.  Were the Milner haters directing any ire at Dyer when he was claiming his shitload of money for his one or two 'moments' per seasion?

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is backing winger James Milner to go from strength to strength as he continues his top-flight education.

The 21-year-old was the star of the show as the Magpies left it late to see off Birmingham at St James' Park last weekend.

His makeshift partnership with emergency left-back Charles N'Zogbia has proved a major bonus for Allardyce so far this season, and the manager is confident there is even more to come as he heads for Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday evening.

Allardyce said: "James is a hugely experienced Premier League player now at 21 - and he can only get better from here.

"Energy is massive in the Premier League today - and with the energy and experienced quality he has got, he really caused most of the problems for Birmingham.

"Charles N'Zogbia linking up with him was a very strong partnership from our point of view, in terms of creating a lot of opportunities."

Allardyce will hope for more of the same as Newcastle attempt to secure their first away win since the opening day of the season at Bolton.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7562806

Potent left side aye but what about the right?!?!?! You've got Beye busting a gut to try and get forward as much as possible but with no-one really ahead of him. Personally think Milner will shine even more on the right with Beye and Charlie on the left whilst also helping Enrique out.

I'm a big fan of Milner, and he is still so young... 21! - Feels like he's been about for years, and I suppose he has since it's been 5 years from his Premiership debut  :kasper:

He's still learning, but he has a great work rate.  He has ability to put in good crosses and long range shots, just need him  to be more consistient with assists and goals.

Look forward to seeing what kind of player Milner will be in another 5 years time.

The few times i have seen bentley play he looks better class than milner, certainly his finishing and pace. Milner might be slightly better at dribbling(on his own chin).  Not sure about bentley as a crosser, but milner is ave crosser, often delivers it to the wrong area......or maybe its our chicken heeded strikers running to the wrong area of the box that makes him look bad!