Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm surprised Rafa stuck it out for 3 years tbh, he must have known deep down that he was being taken for a ride. I think he just didn't want to ditch the fans otherwise he'd have packed in within a year.

I’m still more surprised that he ever contacted us to sign up to this shitfest. It’s not like Ashley has done to Rafa something he didn’t do to other managers before. I love Rafa as much as the next fan, but in an odd way his presence possibly set the club back by taking the pressure right off Ashley. Fans might have given up on their season tickets by now, after three more years of the likes of Carver, McClaren and Bruce. I don’t blame Rafa obviously, but he can’t claim he didn’t know how Ashley operates before he joined and if he thought he might persuade him to change his ways he was sadly mistaken. I’m sure the likes of Keegan and Shearer would have been happy to explain that to him beforehand if he didn’t. Sadly I will always look back at the Rafa era with some regret for that reason, as brilliant a manager and a man as he is. I’m certain Ashley will have loved playing with his and the fans’ emotions.

Tbf I fell for it as well. I was convinced that agreeing to hire Rafa was Ashley finally conceding his methods weren't working. But he really couldn't give a toss about the football, I think he'd rather watch the club burn than admit he is wrong. We saw it with Keegan when we were riding high, and we have seen it again with Rafa. When it all goes tits up as it must do, then he'll hold a press conference again saying he has made mistakes but will learn from them, and blah blah blah. Rinse and repeat.

I'm surprised Rafa stuck it out for 3 years tbh, he must have known deep down that he was being taken for a ride. I think he just didn't want to ditch the fans otherwise he'd have packed in within a year.

I’m still more surprised that he ever contacted us to sign up to this shitfest. It’s not like Ashley has done to Rafa something he didn’t do to other managers before. I love Rafa as much as the next fan, but in an odd way his presence possibly set the club back by taking the pressure right off Ashley. Fans might have given up on their season tickets by now, after three more years of the likes of Carver, McClaren and Bruce. I don’t blame Rafa obviously, but he can’t claim he didn’t know how Ashley operates before he joined and if he thought he might persuade him to change his ways he was sadly mistaken. I’m sure the likes of Keegan and Shearer would have been happy to explain that to him beforehand if he didn’t. Sadly I will always look back at the Rafa era with some regret for that reason, as brilliant a manager and a man as he is. I’m certain Ashley will have loved playing with his and the fans’ emotions.

Tbf I fell for it as well. I was convinced that agreeing to hire Rafa was Ashley finally conceding his methods weren't working. But he really couldn't give a toss about the football, I think he'd rather watch the club burn than admit he is wrong. We saw it with Keegan when we were riding high, and we have seen it again with Rafa. When it all goes tits up as it must do, then he'll hold a press conference again saying he has made mistakes but will learn from them, and blah blah blah. Rinse and repeat.

The signs weren't bad to begin with - talk of "what Rafa wants, Rafa gets" behind the scenes.  That lasted one transfer window, where we made a substantial profit in net spend terms :lol: But players were signed that fit the needs of the squad in the manager's view.

Whether that changed because Ashley wasn't happy with a few of the signings, or it was always the plan to play nice to give the best chance of promotion then pull the rug from under Rafa and revert to type, only Ashley knows.

The signs weren't bad to begin with - talk of "what Rafa wants, Rafa gets" behind the scenes.  That lasted one transfer window, where we made a substantial profit in net spend terms :lol: But players were signed that fit the needs of the squad in the manager's view.

Whether that changed because Ashley wasn't happy with a few of the signings, or it was always the plan to play nice to give the best chance of promotion then pull the rug from under Rafa and revert to type, only Ashley knows.

I think Ashley agreed to go along with it for a while, but was never really comfortable with Rafa's insistence you need quality and experience. One or two iffy signings and he was probably "I was right all along". When Bruce takes us down or gets sacked, he'll probably be full of regret again, but only because relegation will cost him more than any profits he makes from these 24yr old signings.

Is there a reliable figure for how much relegation actually costs? More specifically, when we come straight back up.

Too many variables surely? I would think the only way to realistically work it would be to compare TV and Commercial revenues. Costs like wages and player sales should be ignored.

What would an 18-year-old Newcastle supporter think about his club now?

Think it's fucking shit, mate.

Jesus, when I was 18 we were in the Champions League with Sir Bobby in charge, taking us to the Nou Camp and San Siro. We had some limited players, some great ones, but I could really dream as a young fan. Must be so fucking grim for young fans now, there is literally no hope, no dreaming allowed at Ashley's version of the club.

Same here. I remember having long conversations about our title chances the season we ended 3rd under Sir Bobby with my accounting teacher who was a Man Utd fan. I was so optimistic and hopeful back then and genuinely thought we had a good chance of winning. In some way since we ended up not winning anything during the good times I do wonder what is worse - to have nearly experienced it and getting all your hope squashed once Ashley went full retard or for full retard mode to be modus operandi.

I think Ashley agreed to go along with it for a while, but was never really comfortable with Rafa's insistence you need quality and experience. One or two iffy signings and he was probably "I was right all along". When Bruce takes us down or gets sacked, he'll probably be full of regret again, but only because relegation will cost him more than any profits he makes from these 24yr old signings.

Iffy signings read little roi and the dangerous desire of Benitez to push might’ve had us in Europe once again.

I’m not sure why some people can’t figure this shit out.

He wants us in the prem, ideally. Wants to sign young players and sell them on for a profit while advertising his businesses on the world stage. We are a profitable business to prop up the rest of his shite, if we go down he’ll stick it back on the debt.

Why anyone would pay to watch that shite is incredible.

Ashley probably figured by spending big money on players he could stave off any relegation threat. He did the same the year we hired McClaren. In his mind a £40m striker supported by a couple of wide players who cost a total in the same region should probably buy you insurance against the drop. Then he could turn round and high five with his pals and say "who needs Rafa! Fuck him and his 29yr old duds!"

Rafa signed Koulibaly & Jorginho both at 22 at Napoli he believes in a balance of young and old not one or the other.

We saw with the impact of Rondon the importance of balance when recruiting.

I think measuring any financial impact purely in NUFCs finances as a way to see how hard it hits Ashley is missing the point. It's like thinking boycotts will annoy him because of the missed gate revenue (which has invariably already been collected by the ST payment anyway). Its about damaging the SD brand by associating it with a fanbase who refuse to sit next to SD branding and empty stadia.

NUFC finances are nothing to him other than a nice cash generator. It's the exposure of SD in the global market by being in the Premier League that makes his millions by indirectly building the SD brand.

But if things keep going the way they are for SD with it basically becoming the Pound Land of clothing, the perceived brand exposure might be worth less and less to the value of the club itself.

When SD goes under, I don't see him selling NUFC to keep it going. I think he'll double down and become an Oyston-esque-owner.

God help us.

Now I kind of wish Rafa had never come. Very cruel to get a little reminder of how big we could be, and then to back to Ashleyland. Some good times though I suppose.

It's the connection Rafa has with the club, fans and area that's the main thing I'll take from it.

If Ashley ever did sell  :lol: then any sane new owners would surely move heaven and earth to bring him back. And he would gladly come if contracts etc allowed.

Back to BZG: as if they wanted to buy the club but didn't want Rafa  :lol:

It was all a load of smoke.

Now I kind of wish Rafa had never come. Very cruel to get a little reminder of how big we could be, and then to back to Ashleyland. Some good times though I suppose.

It's the connection Rafa has with the club, fans and area that's the main thing I'll take from it.

If Ashley ever did sell  :lol: then any sane new owners would surely move heaven and earth to bring him back. And he would gladly come if contracts etc allowed.

Back to BZG: as if they wanted to buy the club but didn't want Rafa  :lol:

It was all a load of smoke.

It was all a load of money wasted on PR.

Ashley should've just came out and said "I'm not keeping Rafa because Geordies are cretins and I've urinated on all the seats". Wouldn't stop the superfans.

Rafa man  :love:

More love for the club than the spineless b******s that have allowed Ashley to rebrand it as Ashley FC which is now complete.

So-called supporters.

Aye right.

Cheers c***s for paying Ashley to let Rafa leave for China replaced by Steve f***ing Bruce.

You’d cry I’d you didn’t laugh :lol:

I did actually shed a tear when Rafa left.

Propa fan me.

Rafa coming out quoting Confucius whereas Bruce asking 'What the fuck is going on?'.

Has there ever been a better demonstration of what we had to what we now have?

It's like going from a professor of sports studies to some clueless chav with 1 CSE