Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get f***ed off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

Maybe if they communicated a bit more they'd get the respect they crave.

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

Some of us actually have emotion though and don't go through life trying to be the most PC person on earth.

What a crock of shit. Most pedantic answer ever

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get f***ed off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

Some of us actually have emotion though and don't go through life trying to be the most PC person on earth.

Play a football match then get back to me.

Referees can't be treated as some super human being that never make mistakes and can never be questioned, that's fucking ludicrous.

Likewise football players can't turn into robots and just accept every decision and get on with the game all smiles when they know that a lot of the time the referee is wrong.

If someone thought you were doing your job badly you'd have have to answer questions, why should referees be different?

You're so wrong, sorry.

Referees can't be treated as some super human being that never make mistakes and can never be questioned, that's fucking ludicrous.

Likewise football players can't turn into robots and just accept every decision and get on with the game all smiles when they know that a lot of the time the referee is wrong.

If someone thought you were doing your job badly you'd have have to answer questions, why should referees be different?

Aye, but if I think someone is wrong at work I can have a quiet word with them outside the meeting, not scream obscenities in their face during it.

Nobody is pretending that referees are perfect, that's exactly the point. They're human, and when they make mistakes it should be accepted. It seems that some people expect referees to get everything right, which is mental (and is part of the game).

Yes, referees should have to answer questions, to the appropriate people, after the game has finished and everything has calmed down. That's what the assessments are for.

But no way should players be allowed to behave like 5 year-olds and throw their toys out of the pram whenever a decision goes against them.

Actually, it's even worse for managers, who are in their 40s-70s and really should know better.

You're so wrong, sorry.

What a crock of s***. Most pedantic answer ever

Referees can't be treated as some super human being that never make mistakes and can never be questioned, that's f***ing ludicrous.

Aye, but if I think someone is wrong at work I can have a quiet word with them outside the meeting, not scream obscenities in their face during it.

Nobody is pretending that referees are perfect, that's exactly the point. They're human, and when they make mistakes it should be accepted. It seems that some people expect referees to get everything right, which is mental (and is part of the game).

Yes, referees should have to answer questions, to the appropriate people, after the game has finished and everything has calmed down. That's what the assessments are for.

But no way should players be allowed to behave like 5 year-olds and throw their toys out of the pram whenever a decision goes against them.

Actually, it's even worse for managers, who are in their 40s-70s and really should know better.

Great post.

Guest neesy111

Isn't it time though that Referee's got some home truth's about some of the shocking decisions they've made.  I think referee's should be made to explain their decisions to managers reguarly 3 times every season perhaps, where the managers can openly be critical of them.  Might actually make them realise how bad they can be at times.

I also think referees should be made to come out and explain their decisions on a more regular basis. There is a lot of hiding behind the camera often from referees and i think if they came out and said what they think saw etc it would take a lot of the abuse away.

Isn't it time though that Referee's got some home truth's about some of the shocking decisions they've made.  I think referee's should be made to explain their decisions to managers reguarly 3 times every season perhaps, where the managers can openly be critical of them.  Might actually make them realise how bad they can be at times.

Are they really that bad though? IMO they do a pretty good job with such a fast moving game.

It would be interesting to investigate the number of mistakes that people would find acceptable versus the amount that actually happen.

I'm a massive supporter of referees TBH, I don't think it's possible to improve them that much.

All I would do is make it a proper career for younger people, so that it's an alternative to playing for people of a similar age. I would like to see the average age of Premiership refs come down to 25-30.

get some players up aswell then when they've had a shitter. what can they say beyond "saoory i got it wrong" after watching it again.....what would it really serve ?

would be intersting viewing, "so andy , you've turned on it and basically just hit it straight along the ground,srainght at the keeper, pretty shite wouldn't you say, there it is on the screen, talk us through it"

You're so wrong, sorry.

Referees can't be treated as some super human being that never make mistakes and can never be questioned, that's f***ing ludicrous.

i played for 25 years and hardly anyone went on like a lot of pros do now. yes people would disagree with decisions "what the fuck for ref" but calling the ref and telling him to fuck off was a no-no and balling at him from a foot away wouldn't happen. as has been pointed out loads of times and you wont reply to it is why do players in other adrenalin heavy sports accept the decision and get on with things ?

face it man, it's just the spoilt gets in football.

You're so wrong, sorry.

i played for 25 years and hardly anyone went on like a lot of pros do now. yes people would disagree with decisions "what the fuck for ref" but calling the ref and telling him to fuck off was a no-no and balling at him from a foot away wouldn't happen. as has been pointed out loads of times and you wont reply to it is why do players in other adrenalin heavy sports accept the decision and get on with things ?

face it man, it's just the spoilt gets in football.

Ref's are very rarely held accountable for their actions and decisions, which is fair enough at amateur level, they are given up their free time so you can play a proper game of football, but at Pro level where they get a massive wage then they should be imo, and where a lot of frustration stems from. A ref gets it wrong a team gets relegated (worse case)  the ref gets to ref again the following week with no come back. Only in very high profile extreme cases does something happen to them, but really games at the bottom of the league are just as if not more important than at the top or in high profile tournaments like the world cup.

I think a points system and pay scale with huge bonuses should be set up so refs think twice about booking the likes of Joey Barton for one minor tackle yet let him be fouled 7-8 times all worthy of a yellow cards and do nothing about it. If it costs him the big games and the big money they might stop trying to influence the game and be star of the show like so many refs try to do these days.

As for amateur refs, they should all be rewarded with medals the amount of shit they take, its disgusting.

Are they really that bad though? IMO they do a pretty good job with such a fast moving game.

It would be interesting to investigate the number of mistakes that people would find acceptable versus the amount that actually happen.

I'm a massive supporter of referees TBH, I don't think it's possible to improve them that much.

All I would do is make it a proper career for younger people, so that it's an alternative to playing for people of a similar age. I would like to see the average age of Premiership refs come down to 25-30.

Respect for referees would have to be brought up drastically first. Could you imagine the older payers taking decisions from a 25 year old? They'd be in his face attempting to intimidate him the whole game. Moreso than now. And managers for that matter.

I used to think referees got quite a hard time, but they've really been shown up this season.

The standard of refereeing in the first four weeks of the season has been ridiculous - too many mistakes, too many intimidated referees.

Just like managers and players are forced to explain mistakes and decisions on the TV, referees should be too - the stick they get is no different to any other figure in the game.

Yes, it's a fast moving game and yes it's incredibly difficult to call decisions at times, but some assistants can't even tell what's offside, what's over the line and what's a penalty when facing it head on, whilst people sat at home, watching in real time, can clearly spot the same decisions.

There are some brilliant referees in the Premiership and some terrible ones too, the gap in quality really shouldn't be as apparent as it currently is.

You're so wrong, sorry.

Great post.

:thup: Emotion doesn't substitute reason in my book. Depends on peoples individual temperment I suppose but I've never felt the need to do it myself having played both football and rugby all my life.

And bringing the average age down would be a terrible decision. There's no coincidence that the better referees are older - more experience and less likely to be intimidated.

I'm not so sure, I think there might be some benefits of the referees being closer in age to the players. Respect-wise, and also for fitness.

It will never happen anyway, but I would give it a try.

I'm gonna get shot down here, but here goes.....

When I started refereeing, I was told that referee were expected to start out perfect, and then get better.

So if a referee is expected to be perfect and answer to the media for every mistake, then shouldn't players also.

Everytime a player makes a mistake doesn't clear the first defender with a cross, mis controlls a pass, skys a shot - what happens "hand up- soz lads" and then move on.

Referees make a fraction of the number of mistakes in a game that players make - I don't see how there should be such a different level of expectations.

ok - tin hat on - I know I'm gonna get it.

And bringing the average age down would be a terrible decision. There's no coincidence that the better referees are older - more experience and less likely to be intimidated.

I'm not so sure, I think there might be some benefits of the referees being closer in age to the players. Respect-wise, and also for fitness.

It will never happen anyway, but I would give it a try.

jonny's right and wrong. if they start younger they'll be more experienced earlier.

I'm gonna get shot down here, but here goes.....

When I started refereeing, I was told that referee were expected to start out perfect, and then get better.

So if a referee is expected to be perfect and answer to the media for every mistake, then shouldn't players also.

Everytime a player makes a mistake doesn't clear the first defender with a cross, mis controlls a pass, skys a shot - what happens "hand up- soz lads" and then move on.

Referees make a fraction of the number of mistakes in a game that players make - I don't see how there should be such a different level of expectations.

ok - tin hat on - I know I'm gonna get it.

Most referees have my highest respect tbh - to decide in front of thousand of people plus the millions watching on TV, and all that in a couple of seconds, to keep concentration for 90 + minutes, they definetly deserve more credit than they usually get.