Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

People who act like it is some horrible disgrace that footballers sometimes become angry with one another. You'd think it was some horrible crime when footballers argue, push each other, have small fights, or question the referees. These people must have never played sport at any point in their lives. It's competitve and emotional. The things that happen on the pitch are no worse than what happens at the gym or the training pitch every day in your local area.

in all my years playing competitive sport i never went after a ref the way man utd players did and its strange how the accept the refs decision in other sports.

Guest Chubby Jason

People who act like it is some horrible disgrace that footballers sometimes become angry with one another. You'd think it was some horrible crime when footballers argue, push each other, have small fights, or question the referees. These people must have never played sport at any point in their lives. It's competitve and emotional. The things that happen on the pitch are no worse than what happens at the gym or the training pitch every day in your local area.

Screaming at referees is pathetic and doesn't happen in sports like rugby and cricket, it's reprehensible and there's no need in it.

in all my years playing competitive sport i never went after a ref the way man utd players did and its strange how the accept the refs decision in other sports.

Maybe we are watching different sports, but I don't see anything worse in football than any of the other sports I watch and/or play.

I don't football much any more as its not my best game, but when I play my other sports there are often fights and arguments. Referees are often question. It is not reprehensible. It is a result of the high pressure environment.

Maybe we are watching different sports, but I don't see anything worse in football than any of the other sports I watch and/or play.

I don't football much any more as its not my best game, but when I play my other sports there are often fights and arguments. Referees are often question. It is not reprehensible. It is a result of the high pressure environment.

players certainly dont go after the ref that way in rugby (either codes), hockey,aussie rules.

You mustn't watch rugby or cricket then.

You mustn't watch rugby or cricket then.

I don't. They were not exactly big sports when I was growing up. Rugby is nonexistant and cricket is only really played in school and by old people who remember when we were a colony.

Guest Chubby Jason

I've never seen players get away with screaming and swearing at officials in any sport other than football. Is football a more high pressure environment than any other sport? No, it's just that players have been allowed to get away with behaving like spoilt children, if they stared sending players off every time they screamed at a ref then it would be stamped out immediately. I really don't understand why this hasn't been implemented yet, the only ones who advocate such behaviour are loathsome bullies such as Andy Grey, anyone remember this argument with Jamie Redknapp after the Mascherano red card a few years back.

Also remember the "Respect" campaign? What happened to that? Do we really need a "campaign" to stop this nonsense? Why not just make it a rule and stamp it out all together? Just another stupid FA gimmick responding to a little bit of media pressure with a nothing gesture.

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get fucked off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

Maybe if they communicated a bit more they'd get the respect they crave.

Football is by far the worst sport I've seen for lack of respect for opponents and officials... it's disgraceful at times.

I would love the referees to properly enforce the dissent laws and give many more yellow cards for it.

The problem is that the worst culprits play for the biggest teams.  Therefore it won't happen.

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get f***ed off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

and footballs different to rugby union,rugby league,aussie rules in that respect because.............?

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get f***ed off and ask questions.

and footballs different to rugby union,rugby league,aussie rules in that respect because.............?

It's no different at all.

Imo, the whole "it doesn't happen in this or that sport.." is just cliched nonsense.

It just gets more attention in football because football is 100 times more popular.

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get fucked off and ask questions.

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

It's no different at all.

Imo, the whole "it doesn't happen in this or that sport.." is just cliched nonsense.

It just gets more attention in football because football is 100 times more popular.

i watch a fair bit of rugby union and i've never seen a ref had a go at like i see in nearly every game in the prem.

Hitting the first man at a corner and shit throw ins. 2 things we are experts at!

Never understood why people get annoyed at the corners one, the margin of error is obviously tiny because players are trying to whip it in with power.

I know they could play it safe and go for a big looping one, but I can understand why it happens.

Guest jonnyameobi

Hitting the first man at a corner and s*** throw ins. 2 things we are experts at!

Never understood why people get annoyed at the corners one, the margin of error is obviously tiny because players are trying to whip it in with power.

I know they could play it safe and go for a big looping one, but I can understand why it happens.

It not difficult to get the ball into a decent area tho without hitting the first man or playing a loopy one over, whenever we hit the first man its not as if theres someone making a decent run to the front post. really gets on my wick :(

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

Some of us actually have emotion though and don't go through life trying to be the most PC person on earth.

You're so wrong, sorry.

Some of us actually have emotion though and don't go through life trying to be the most PC person on earth.

True, but some of us can behave with a bit of self control.

I'm not saying there should be no emotion in sport... but I'm mystified how a rugby player can spend 80 minutes smashing into an 18-stone bloke, getting stamped on, then get up and smile and shake hands. As well as listening to every word the ref says and calling him 'sir'.

But David Moyes can run on the pitch and scream in the ref's face because he blows the final whistle at slightly the wrong time.

It's childish and embarrassing IMO, professional players and managers should be ashamed that they treat officials with so much disrespect.