Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Mindless Center Back passing.   You see it all the time....CB passes to CM, but they are facing the CM and pass right back to the CB.  CB then passes to other CM who is also facing the CB and passes right back to them . CB then passes out to outside mid, who passes right back to him.

Not sure if it crappy decision making by the CB who passes to players who are already being closed down, or bad skill by the Midfielders who cannot take posession.

And then to make it worse....the commentator Ooohs and Ahhhh over the fabulous string of passes. Meanwhile they have made no progress up the field, haven't beaten anyone and then hoof it up field as they are out of ideas.

It was worse in the days before keepers were banned from picking up back passes. The keeper would roll the ball out to a centre back who was standing just outside the area. The CB would look thoughtfully forward, as if contemplating - shall I go on a mazy run down the centre, drawing out the defence before slipping a pass to one of our strikers, or shall I play an inch perfect 40 yard ball to the wing?

Invariably, the big lug would eventually decide - no, I'll just give it back to the keeper. (Who would then punt it aimlessly forward)

It was worse in the days before keepers were banned from picking up back passes. The keeper would roll the ball out to a centre back who was standing just outside the area. The CB would look thoughtfully forward, as if contemplating - shall I go on a mazy run down the centre, drawing out the defence before slipping a pass to one of our strikers, or shall I play an inch perfect 40 yard ball to the wing?

Invariably, the big lug would eventually decide - no, I'll just give it back to the keeper. (Who would then punt it aimlessly forward)

Always seem to remember Alan Hansen for that although I am sure everyone did it.

Always seem to remember Alan Hansen for that although I am sure everyone did it.

Hansen to Grobbelar back to Hansen. To Nicol back to Hansen, who shifts it to Lawrenson back to Hansen. To Whelan back to Hansen and back to Grobbelar. Who rolls it ouzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mindless Center Back passing.   You see it all the time....CB passes to CM, but they are facing the CM and pass right back to the CB.  CB then passes to other CM who is also facing the CB and passes right back to them . CB then passes out to outside mid, who passes right back to him.

Not sure if it crappy decision making by the CB who passes to players who are already being closed down, or bad skill by the Midfielders who cannot take posession.

And then to make it worse....the commentator Ooohs and Ahhhh over the fabulous string of passes. Meanwhile they have made no progress up the field, haven't beaten anyone and then hoof it up field as they are out of ideas.

it's neither. it's a standard tactic that all the good teams do. play the ball to players, who if there is no better low risk option, will hopefully drag the defending teams player into a position where he leaves a gap for another attacking teams players to exploit. it's called possession. it's unspectacular and only the best teams can do it well.

the mindless passing reminds me of the pre season bayern munchen friendly a few years back. the 2 blokes in front of me were wanking themselves over their play "patient, brilliant....thats the way it should be...controlled...why can't we do that" etc

then when we got the ball and knocked it about "get it up man....we'll not score from back there.....get it in the box...we need to get it forward quicker"

the unfortunate truth is that nufc fans like football direct and whilst slagging off the long ball it's what the majority want for the most part or the ball lumped into the box at the earliest opportunity.

the mindless passing reminds me of the pre season bayern munchen friendly a few years back. the 2 blokes in front of me were wanking themselves over their play "patient, brilliant....thats the way it should be...controlled...why can't we do that" etc

then when we got the ball and knocked it about "get it up man....we'll not score from back there.....get it in the box...we need to get it forward quicker"

the unfortunate truth is that nufc fans like football direct and whilst slagging off the long ball it's what the majority want for the most part or the ball lumped into the box at the earliest opportunity.

You've got a point like.  The moaners in the ground get dead restless when we keep the ball, influencing the midfielder to try to thread it through the eye of a needle and then when it doesn't come off the moaners go absolutely mental.

You've got a point like.  The moaners in the ground get dead restless when we keep the ball, influencing the midfielder to try to thread it through the eye of a needle and then when it doesn't come off the moaners go absolutely mental.

It's exactly the same with the England team. The Wembley wankers that initially booed Capello's new patient approach to the game are the same Wembley wankers who booed the previous 'force an impossible ball forward instead of passing it backwards' tactics used by the previous 3 managers.

Moaning cockney fuckwits!

I hate it when Man Utd are referred to as simply "UNITED"

I always ask what Rotherham have to do with it - they were the first.

Particularly annoying is its use when another United are playing them and the commentator blithely refers to the c***s.

My ex-boss was an Irish Liverpool fan and it took me about 5 years of working with him but I did teach him to change the habit of a lifetime and start referring to them as Man United - I didn't get him to go as far as I do and refer to them as the Manc c***s though.

I'd also like to add that there are too many recent fans who don't harbour a deep enough hatred for both them and Liverpool with all this s*** about people hating Chelsea and Spurs more really pisses me off - you must have short memories or don't appreciate where Man Utd and Liverpool stand in the scheme of things.

The "United" thing doesn't bother me one bit. I doubt Notts County fans are particularly bothered when we get called The Magpies claiming, "Which Magpies? We were first blah blah".

I hate it when Man Utd are referred to as simply "UNITED"

I always ask what Rotherham have to do with it - they were the first.

Particularly annoying is its use when another United are playing them and the commentator blithely refers to the c***s.

My ex-boss was an Irish Liverpool fan and it took me about 5 years of working with him but I did teach him to change the habit of a lifetime and start referring to them as Man United - I didn't get him to go as far as I do and refer to them as the Manc c***s though.

I'd also like to add that there are too many recent fans who don't harbour a deep enough hatred for both them and Liverpool with all this s*** about people hating Chelsea and Spurs more really pisses me off - you must have short memories or don't appreciate where Man Utd and Liverpool stand in the scheme of things.

The "United" thing doesn't bother me one bit. I doubt Notts County fans are particularly bothered when we get called The Magpies claiming, "Which Magpies? We were first blah blah".

it bothers me as it is symptomatic of the media creeping agenda of "top 4 and fuck all else" which is a self fulfilling prophecy. in days gone by MotD would show them most but not as the feature game every week. same with radio commentary. it would have been  rather 5th Verses 6th as opposed to top verses 14th or even a top clash from the next league down...that wouldn't happen now.

Players getting interviewed with their headphones around their neck

:lol: I was just about to put this in the 'things you think are great but you're supposed to hate' thread. Then again I loved it when Ljunberg used to do his interviews in fancy dress.

Guest firetotheworks

Our fans hating or stereotyping southerners and then kicking off when some do it to us.

What did you leeeaaaarn?

music played during goal celebrations...fuck off Forest!

After we played them I went for a meal with some Forest fans and they swore blind that they don't play music after they score. I was like err... well you did, because I heard it. :lol: