Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest Stephen927

This is a strange one. When people criticise the style of teams like Stoke and Bolton and say it's not football. It is, it's just another way of playing it to the likes of Arsenal and Barcelona. It might not be pretty to watch but it's an added dimension to football, fair play to them if they can get it to work to a moderate degree as it still takes hard work on the training ground to get it to click.

Wrong,

You go and pay good money to watch that week in week out.

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

I meant, you go and watch that s*** and I'll stick to trying to watch teams attempt to play football.

Wrong.

I have no intentions of going to watch it, I am saying it's an effective tactic for these teams rather than just something which can't be classed as football.

Wrong.

I just wanted to join in.

Correct.

This is a strange one. When people criticise the style of teams like Stoke and Bolton and say it's not football. It is, it's just another way of playing it to the likes of Arsenal and Barcelona. It might not be pretty to watch but it's an added dimension to football, fair play to them if they can get it to work to a moderate degree as it still takes hard work on the training ground to get it to click.

Wrong,

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

I meant, you go and watch that s*** and I'll stick to trying to watch teams attempt to play football.

Wrong.

I have no intentions of going to watch it, I am saying it's an effective tactic for these teams rather than just something which can't be classed as football.

Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong.

Guest Stephen927

Wrong,

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong.

Awesome.

Wrong,

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong.

Awesome.

Banana

Wrong,

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong.

Awesome.

Banana

Orange.

Guest Brummiemag

Here's another.

Travelling to another city to watch your team, getting there nice and early for a few drinks, then spending it is some vile, quarantined shit hole of an "away pub" (the Fernhurst at Blackburn, the Eight Bells at Fulham, the Cape and Gown for you lot at our place) where you are rammed in with pissed up morons, paying inflated prices for shite beer to a backing track of Sky Sports News and general idiocy.

"Oh Fulham was fuckin ace, we went down the Eight Bells, it was fucking rammed with Villa!"

Why? Why on earth do that? I can think of - off the top of my head - 20 really nice places to drink in the environs of Craven Cottage.

Coming to Villa Park for a game? Fancy a drink? Go down Digbeth, or into the Jewellery Quarter, or some of the boozers off Colmore Row where you'll actually get real, proper, nice beer and food. Don't go to the Cap and Gown to wait in a primeval scrum at the bar to get served by some arsey gibbon who has charged you 2 quid to get in the pub in the first place, whilst the Police wait outside in their vans, filming the comings and goings.

Completely agree with you about the Cap and Gown,  a shit hole of the highest order, no decent beer and they have the nerve to charge £2 to get in. The grass outside was covered in shit as well! Quality place!

I seem to remember the Eight Bells in Fulham being ok though when we played them last October - decent pub with real ales and friendly bar staff. There are better pubs near Craven Cottage though, mainly on the other side of the river. 

Wrong,

Wrong. I don't.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong.

Awesome.

Banana

Orange.

Phil Brown^^

Guest Brummiemag

1 The creation of the Premier League

2 The Sky TV bullshit about the Premier League, brainwashing people into thinking they have  a superior product, when in fact its the same old shit only more expensive and less competitive

3 Sky TV when they talk about football as if it didnt exist before 1992, with comments like Burnley have never played in the Premier League before, even though they have spent most of their history in the top division.

4 TV channels who feel that they can't show goal clips or even interviews before a game without playing shitty music in the background - pathetic

5 Pre match atmospheres and banter drowned out by shitty music being blasted out on the PA systems 

Last but not least the fact that some people, even some Newcastle fans, think its acceptable to play weakened teams in the FA Cup - should never happen under any circumstances in my opinion and another reason why I hate the creation of the  Premier League

Players wearing short sleeves and gloves, WTF is that all about

You lose most heat through your extremities, ie hands, feet and head, therefore it doesn't really make much difference what length sleeve you wear since you don't lose much body heat through your forearms

I always thought you lost most heat through your head (etc), because everywhere else was normally covered. Am I an idiot?

Yes, that's true, but then come the hands and feet, and since the hands don't do anything during a football match (unless you're Thierry Henry), then one is often required to wear gloves, sometimes with short sleeves, but it makes no difference with the length of sleeve.

The heat loss through the head thing is a myth.

As a Canadian all things related to keeping warm are pretty high on the list of general interest topics.

The only issue with the gloves is that your fingers will get cold quicker and it is painful. The strange thing is that with activity comes greater blood flow and the conversion of calories to energy has the side effect of creating warmth (hence the sweating). Warmth that is transferred through the body by the greater  blood flow of cardio stimulation = warm hands.

So if you wear gloves while playing sports you are a pussy.

So sayeth the igloo dweller from the centre of Canada...

Well you learn something new everyday, I always assumed the heat loss from the head was true.

However, your hands clearly take a lot longer than anything else to get warm (if they ever get the same level as the rest of your body, therefore wearing gloves is perfectly fine, whether with short sleeves or not...

Players wearing short sleeves and gloves, WTF is that all about

You lose most heat through your extremities, ie hands, feet and head, therefore it doesn't really make much difference what length sleeve you wear since you don't lose much body heat through your forearms

I always thought you lost most heat through your head (etc), because everywhere else was normally covered. Am I an idiot?

Yes, that's true, but then come the hands and feet, and since the hands don't do anything during a football match (unless you're Thierry Henry), then one is often required to wear gloves, sometimes with short sleeves, but it makes no difference with the length of sleeve.

The heat loss through the head thing is a myth.

As a Canadian all things related to keeping warm are pretty high on the list of general interest topics.

The only issue with the gloves is that your fingers will get cold quicker and it is painful. The strange thing is that with activity comes greater blood flow and the conversion of calories to energy has the side effect of creating warmth (hence the sweating). Warmth that is transferred through the body by the greater  blood flow of cardio stimulation = warm hands.

So if you wear gloves while playing sports you are a pussy.

So sayeth the igloo dweller from the centre of Canada...

Well you learn something new everyday, I always assumed the heat loss from the head was true.

However, your hands clearly take a lot longer than anything else to get warm (if they ever get the same level as the rest of your body, therefore wearing gloves is perfectly fine, whether with short sleeves or not...

You lose the same amount over any given exposed area of your body. Your head may lose up to ten percent more due to a higher concentration of blood vessels close to the surface and a lower concentration of body fat. These conditions have been found to vary under the conditions of exercise but once perspiration occurs

The common misconception is that one loses around thirty percent of body heat through ones head. The reasons behind this are two-fold.

Firstly, people seldom wear hats or head-coverings until cold conditions becomes fairly acute. However, we seldom run around without clothes in all but both the hottest weather and liberal surroundings. At most points a person will have the majority of their surface area covered with clothes. If it were bitterly cold you would be unlikely to roll up one sleeve, but this would lose a similar amount of heat.

Secondly, your head contains your brain. Your body protects your brain in the same way as any major organ. It withdraws blood from non-essential extremities to concentrate on the core of the body and, of course, your brain.

You feel the cold in these areas last but more often than not the body will have to work harder to protect the head due to clothing on the torso and limbs as well as socks, shoes and underwear.

It is possible that you lose about thirty percent when moderately clothed through your uncovered head, but then it is also possible that your head loses less than any other area when naked due to the insulative properties of your hair.

Guest firetotheworks

Arrogant English pundits and commentators. It's not the players, its the pundits.

'Chelsea, Job done in Barcelona' being the one that really boiled my blood.

The mistaken belief that football is somehow different to every other sport and that the introduction of technology is an eternal damnation to this sport. Shut up man, it'll make no difference to the fluidity if it's done right. Stop living in the dark ages and pretending it works when it clearly doesnt.

'and all the goals from Saturday' on MOTD2, and they show one of the goals! Dicks! I want it to be a surprise in the actual match.

Non white footballs. Especially darker coloured ones, yellow is tolerable I guess.

Also dark coloured goal nets of course.

Played with a black one the other night in a game of  a side, half 9 at night with dubious floodlights.. could hardly see it. Useless.