On this day...

Tooj

37 years ago - the great Tony Green was forced to retire due to injury.

According to many that witnessed him play - the best they've ever seen in a black & white shirt.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7804/7895151879751257978619.jpg

We got Tudor from Sheffield and Hibbitt from Leeds, MacDonald from luton and Smith Aberdeen, but we've got the greatest the world's ever seen, we bought him from Blackpool, his name's Tony Green...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Find it quite astonishing that folk can say that based on 33 games. How come it took 14 months post-injury to announce his retirement?

With similar figures, many still say Woodgate was the best defender we had in the modern era.

Find it quite astonishing that folk can say that based on 33 games. How come it took 14 months post-injury to announce his retirement?

With similar figures, many still say Woodgate was the best defender we had in the modern era.

That's a fair point to some extent. I don't agree with them, like. Albert gets the nod from me. And there's a big difference between best defender of the modern era, and best player ever.

Of course, the fans of that era could only have seen Green play a maximum of 33 games, but probably far less. We all saw Woodgate star at Leeds, and then do OK after leaving us, which contributes to his reputation.

What strikes my mind is that he tried to come back, but got setbacks, eventually found out he would'nt be able to come back. Seems like reason many players who retire early has.

edit: seems likely hargreaves might be added to that list at some point  :undecided:

edit2: fellow norwegians Haaland and Heggem might be other, not to old, examples of the same!

The treatment of knee injuries then was nowhere near as sophisticated as it is now. Hence the long period of failed rehab. In all probablity, Tony Green would have recovered if he'd been playing now.

But I'd say he was the best I've seen in a Newcastle shirt. He could absolutely dominate a game.

Incidentally Woodgates defending was far superior to Alberts.

I thought Albert was the glue that held our defence together in an awful lot of games. I was young, though.

Steve Howey was the main man for me. Albert was the boisterous exotic sweeper type (when fit), but if you wanted blood and thunder Howey provided it (when fit). Never forget his late late goal against Blackburn.

Albert was a decent defender but nothing compared to Woodgate.

You wouldn't say that to his face.

Shut it, or you're getting clipped next. :)

never saw him but everyone i know who saw him raves about him.  My old man reckons he was out of this world and tells me that all the time!!    He may only have played 33 games but still plenty time to make an impression,  look at the impression we have of the likes of Tiote and Ben Arfa and they've hardly played 10 games between them.

He would never have had his career cut short if he played now,  players recover from thoses injuries nearly all the time these days or even ten years ago.