Newcastle United 2-1 Everton - 01/11/20

Disco

If is was under Rafa, I think we would have said Rafa outsmarted their manager. Was a solid performance especially in the second half. Think this formation suits us.

3 at the back with 2 sitting midfields and utilising the pace of the from 3 of Wilson, ASM and Miggy.

The wing backs seem to be settling well also.

Definitely not, its ruined ASM in the fact he's constantly lost and dropping of to get a touch. He thrives on having the ball regularly, and out wide he is getting the ball much more and cutting in to central positions. For me behind Wilson has to be ASM Miggy Fraser.

I said earlier with Fraser and ASM on the pitch we will get lots of free kicks, set plays, they both get fouled a lot.

People says it is good performance  :knuppel2:

Unbelievable how many fans we have who know zilch about the game of football.  A huge part of football now is formation and tactics.  Years ago we old ones would have scoffed at that.  This manager is one of us old one's.  He knows nothing at all about tactics ( yes samp, I know we won today).

People says it is good performance  :knuppel2:

Unbelievable how many fans we have who know zilch about the game of football.  A huge part of football now is formation and tactics.  Years ago we old ones would have scoffed at that.  This manager is one of us old one's.  He knows nothing at all about tactics ( yes samp, I know we won today).

We played decent 2nd half. Lucky to play Everton with so many of their best players out.

so much more movement without shelvey and joelinton on the pitch.

first game joelinton's missed?

still needs to take ASM out of the centre.

miggy was fucking everywhere again.

but just for the bants ......

Miguel Almiron 6

Not his day as he struggled to make an impact and didn't manage a shot or a cross.

(Ryder - and that's Lee sober not Shaun off his tits)

Second half was the best I've seen us play this season. Not saying much I know,  but we seem to have found the right combinations.

Hendrick - nothing great, but a different player from the frightened rabbit of the first few games.

Longstaff - looks much more relaxed and coming back to his best form.

Almiron - adds so much energy to the midfield.

Murphy - seems to have solved our right back problem, hitherto our weakest position.

And I'd agree that, whatever Shelvey's abilities, we can't afford to have anyone that slow in centre mid.

Its full circle though isnt it, Rafa worked out a long time ago that Shelvey doesnt actually contribute enough to midfield, and basically gave Schar in back 3 the job of spreading play. No doubt shelvey will be back though

First half was so tedious, thankfully the second half we were more positive.

Having a striker that actually wants to score goals helps. Joelinton doesn't have that instinct and if he'd been on the pitch for that second goal he'd have watched it go out for a corner. Ironically the system today probably would have suited him playing off Wilson but Bruce hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of a pretty decent set of players.

I know ASM wants to play number 10 but he's not very good at it. Maybe he would be in another team but he's totally ineffective there. Fraser came on and did more of what I'd expect - running channels, dragging defenders out of position - maybe unfair to make a straight comparison as Fraser was up against tired legs but I was impressed by him, we should definitely be able to get ASM, Fraser and Almiron in the team behind Wilson and not in the way we did at Wolves last week.

Almiron is so underappreciated it's crazy. He covers so much ground and is being nullified by an idiot. Didn't see Bruce shake his hand when he came off but I might be reading too much into that. I'd love to see how he would have developed if Rafa was still here.

Fernandez is our best centre hald by a mile, though all three were decent today. Murphy has been very good too, even if we've seen basically nothing of him going forward bar the free kick last week. I think this was Lewis' best game for us as well after an underwhelming start.

Darlow was fine after a ridiculous start with his distribution. He was horrific in his last run at PL level so well done for being better. Hendrick was fine if unspectacular and Longstaff did pretty well but was absolutely gassed by about 75 minutes.

We were lucky Everton were short of 4 key players, they were very average without them.

Nice to see such a positive assessment of our performance, some of which I agree with, but Lewis must have had some second half (I missed it) if that was his best performance for us. I thought he was very poor in the first half.

Nice to see such a positive assessment of our performance, some of which I agree with, but Lewis must have had some second half (I missed it) if that was his best performance for us. I thought he was very poor in the first half.

Yeah, he was much better in the second.

First half was so tedious, thankfully the second half we were more positive.

Having a striker that actually wants to score goals helps. Joelinton doesn't have that instinct and if he'd been on the pitch for that second goal he'd have watched it go out for a corner. Ironically the system today probably would have suited him playing off Wilson but Bruce hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of a pretty decent set of players.

I know ASM wants to play number 10 but he's not very good at it. Maybe he would be in another team but he's totally ineffective there. Fraser came on and did more of what I'd expect - running channels, dragging defenders out of position - maybe unfair to make a straight comparison as Fraser was up against tired legs but I was impressed by him, we should definitely be able to get ASM, Fraser and Almiron in the team behind Wilson and not in the way we did at Wolves last week.

Almiron is so underappreciated it's crazy. He covers so much ground and is being nullified by an idiot. Didn't see Bruce shake his hand when he came off but I might be reading too much into that. I'd love to see how he would have developed if Rafa was still here.

Fernandez is our best centre hald by a mile, though all three were decent today. Murphy has been very good too, even if we've seen basically nothing of him going forward bar the free kick last week. I think this was Lewis' best game for us as well after an underwhelming start.

Darlow was fine after a ridiculous start with his distribution. He was horrific in his last run at PL level so well done for being better. Hendrick was fine if unspectacular and Longstaff did pretty well but was absolutely gassed by about 75 minutes.

We were lucky Everton were short of 4 key players, they were very average without them.

Agree with pretty much most of that. You can tell Rafa have the back 3 well drilled as each one knew their jobs although Everton made it easy for us with so many of their key players injured or suspended.

Joelinton's 44 consecutive games in the PL for us ended today

fucking hell why the hell has he had that run? :lol:

Justify his transfer fee?

to desperately try and save ashley and nickson the shame of admitting they completely fucked up on this one and should've listened to Rafa.

Guest neesy111

6 points better off, at the same stage, than last season.

Oh do f#ck off!

We are 1 point worse off across the same set of fixtures mind.

Joelinton's 44 consecutive games in the PL for us ended today

fucking hell why the hell has he had that run? :lol:

Justify his transfer fee?

Aye. Ashley’s fat as fuck mate in the dugout will have been desperate to do him a favour and justify the money spent.

Best match we have played by a country mile. There was no player to really moan about today, every one of them gave a decent/good/great performance.

The back three and wing backs is very defensive but it works for the style Bruce seems to want to play.

It could be so much better if we moved slightly further up the pitch (as a block) rather than sit in an area covering fifty yards from goal.