Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

I don't really understand HTT's point. Both are good to very good passers based on limited showing and both have a great shot. Extremely small sample size so at least I wouldn't be able to have an opinion on flair, drive and instinct so far. They won't be massive dribblers but I don't think anyone expects that and at least Sean has been really good with the ball (at least last season) in very tight spots.

I think it would suit them to be the two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 system.

Only problem with that is we've not played well with 4 at the back for a few seasons now. Maybe that could be solved with a new RB and a new LB.

Would like us to line up like this:

Dubravka

New RB - Schar - Lejuene - New LB

Shortstaff - Longstaff

Bowen - Almiron - ASM

Joelinton/New Striker

• 1 month later...
Guest The Little Waster

Another great goal and performance from him yesterday. Bright spot in an ugly mess. Think he will sign a new contract or walk away?

Run ... i think if hes got any sense he will run ...

• 3 weeks later...

Out of contract in the summer and on less than a grand a week apparently. Seems a bit mad we haven't offered him a new contract yet

Because every week that saves 10k/20k/30k* (*delete as applicable).....that’s the penny pinching slime-bucket operation Fat Ash has us working as

Out of contract in the summer and on less than a grand a week apparently. Seems a bit mad we haven't offered him a new contract yet

Isn’t it just Sean who’s out of contract? Pretty sure it’s been reported that his deal is longer, though they want to renew it in anyway.

Guest neesy111

Isn’t it just Sean who’s out of contract? Pretty sure it’s been reported that his deal is longer, though they want to renew it in anyway.

No.  It's matty who is out of contract.

It's true he lacks pace, but how many great midfielders could that have been said about - eg Scholes, Lampard? Everything else seems to be there, including a certain aggression in his game. It's been good to see him get into a few confrontations with opponents and stand up for himself. We could do with seeing a bit more of that from his brother.

In fact, he does remind me a bit of Scholes. I gather he has been offered a new contract, and it'll be a big boost if both the Longstaffs can be secured on longer contracts.

There are mixed feelings on here about his emergence. Obviously if you're pinning your hopes for the future on the team doing badly and Ashley being forced out as a result, then it isn't good news.

It's true he lacks pace, but how many great midfielders could that have been said about - eg Scholes, Lampard? Everything else seems to be there, including a certain aggression in his game. It's been good to see him get into a few confrontations with opponents and stand up for himself. We could do with seeing a bit more of that from his brother.

In fact, he does remind me a bit of Scholes. I gather he has been offered a new contract, and it'll be a big boost if both the Longstaffs can be secured on longer contracts.

There are mixed feelings on here about his emergence. Obviously if you're pinning your hopes for the future on the team doing badly and Ashley being forced out as a result, then it isn't good news.

Agree on the point about pace, which is the only doubt I have expressed about him, but he has so many other qualities maybe we shouldn't obsess about pace so much. I really do like him as a player, looks like he'll always have a goal in him as well, which is priceless in any team let alone ours.