Alan Shearer

Weznufc

I might have made this up but I seem to remember on one of the end of season DVDs that Shearer's daughter was mascot against Villa so he thought "I'll have to do something special for her" and then he did that.

The fact its against Schmeichel too makes it so wonderful

It's my favourite Shearer goal too. It's a class hit, from an audacious angle against a goal keeping legend, on a volley and in a position your not really ever expected to score. It's outrageous to try it and to score it. It's not a typical Shearer goal either.

There was definitely a good 3-4 years towards the end of his career when he was still taking free kicks and every single one of them went straight into the wall :lol:

The last one that immediately comes to mind of him scoring is an indirect free-kick against Sunderland. I think we went 2-0 within the first 3 minutes or so.

I can remember hearing about the Everton goal on the radio. Commentators saying that it was something "you're going to want to see", and probably Alan's best ever goal.

Which was some statement at that point in his career. Didn't disappoint.

I like that he had those three screamers in consecutive seasons near the end of his career. Villa, Everton and the Chelsea/Desailly goal.

Consider that Chelsea goal as the last we saw of the real Shearer.

The hit was great, but the backing in and subsequent shrugging off of Desailly before hand made it even sweeter. Also love it when the keeper simply watches it, knowing he is powerless to get anywhere near it.

Consider that Chelsea goal as the last we saw of the real Shearer.

I'd say his goal against Man U the following season when he was pretty finished. Absolutely ragdolled West Brown before slipping it under Carroll.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

One of my fave Shearer goals is one he scored in a 7-1 win at home to Spurs, a ball over the top he chased down and out muscled several defenders before smashing it past Walker I think.

As a finisher, Shearer could do the lot. There isn't a goal he couldn't score. When he was at Blackburn he even dribbled/junked past players to score. Technically his finishing was of the highest standard possible. Left or right foot, side foot, laces, volley, half volley, free kicks, curlers, blasters, toe pokes.

He connected with that ball so well, the Spurs semi-final goal a prime example.

I can't quite remember who said it but it basically went along the lines of 'you look at Shearer and he looks old and slow, but he is quicker than anyone to a ball in the box or with his head.' This was in his final few years.

I also remember a quote from Maldini in the build-up to France 98 in a Shoot interview type thing that asked him which striker in world football he feared the most and he said Ronaldo and Shearer, the two finest centre-forwards of that generation for me.

Everton one for me.

Just such an utterly brilliant hit. The fucking power of it man, felt bad for the net.

The time it came at in the game makes it all the more special too IMO.

We had battered Everton all game yet they were leading, Dyer had went close before Shearer scored. There was only a few minutes left of the match when Shearer scored that goal, we went on to win it with Bellamy scoring an identical goal to the one he scored against Feyenoord, and in stoppage time as well.

The second wasn't long before half time. Nearly right, though.:lol:

With the shout on the Villa goal. My favourite too.

Was it, wow I thought it was pretty early on.

Anyway I think the first goal was scored within 90 seconds.

The second wasn't long before half time. Nearly right, though.:lol:

With the shout on the Villa goal. My favourite too.

Was it, wow I thought it was pretty early on.

Anyway I think the first goal was scored within 90 seconds.

Yep, it was really early. A lot missed it getting to their seats.

Guest firetotheworks

Just saw his best 11. I know it's his personal selection, but I was disappointed to not see many Newcastle players in there.  :undecided:

You can tell that he's gone purely for the best individual players that he's played with there, but it's canny insulting that Nobby Solano isn't in there considering the staggering amount of goals he put on a plate for him.