Sam Allardyce

Thespence

Former Chelsea and England striker Chris Sutton said: "I think Allardyce has clout. He's proved himself. He gets the job done.

"If this tournament [Euro 2016] has taught us anything, it's about learning how to win football matches and Sam Allardyce is the master.

"How he kept Sunderland up this season, I don't know, but it was an incredible achievement.

"He studies opposition's weaknesses, he knows his team's strengths and he plays to them. It's all about winning."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36766990

Sam would be a good choice for a developing football nation as he makes teams hard to beat but he'd be disastrous for the England job. He may employ loads of the "right type" of staff and he may use OPTA stats and get very detailed reports on the opposition but he uses all of this to play defensive, often long ball tactics with the sole aim of pinching victories.

If the FA believe this is the man to lead us to glory then God help us. It'd be more like an appointment to avoid embarrassment and acceptance of getting out of group stages and judging success by getting to the odd quarter or semi final stage. In fact, no, any manager worth his salt wouldn't lose to a Sam side at quarter final stage.

Former Chelsea and England striker Chris Sutton said: "I think Allardyce has clout. He's proved himself. He gets the job done.

"If this tournament [Euro 2016] has taught us anything, it's about learning how to win football matches and Sam Allardyce is the master.

"How he kept Sunderland up this season, I don't know, but it was an incredible achievement.

"He studies opposition's weaknesses, he knows his team's strengths and he plays to them. It's all about winning."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36766990

I too wonder how he kept them up, Chris. After all, he was only their manager for 30 of the 38 games - a phenomenal achievement in such a short space of time.

Just saw HanoiToon tweet that both McClaren and Pardle have higher win percentages over their careers. Is this true?  :lol:

I heard some "expert" on the radio yesterday say that Allardyce had done a better job than Rafa because he kept Sunderland up and that was an incredible achievement considering where they were when he arrived.

They seem to overlook that he had most of the season and only just managed to keep them up and Rafa had very few games in comparison.  I am sure if Rafa had as many games we would not have been anywhere near the relegation zone by the end of the season.

I heard some "expert" on the radio yesterday say that Allardyce had done a better job than Rafa because he kept Sunderland up and that was an incredible achievement considering where they were when he arrived.

They seem to overlook that he had most of the season and only just managed to keep them up and Rafa had very few games in comparison.  I am sure if Rafa had as many games we would not have been anywhere near the relegation zone by the end of the season.

Also Di Canio, Poyet and Advocaat kept them up while they were keeping PFMs out of English jobs.

The manager the England players deserve (sans maybe Dier & Lallana). Will get on well with the Man City variant of Captain Fistpumps.

http://i.imgur.com/PCfTKu0.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c-SdRdjwSpA/UFaHN4nLJAI/AAAAAAAABW0/cHD-dt-CPK8/s320/vlcsnap-2012-09-16-21h06m04s47.png

A simple Photoshopping of the h for a c on the very top headline would make it far more accurate