Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't see how that's fair like. The rules should be the same for everyone.

Interpretation of rules seem to change from game to game, and from ref to ref anyway, so I don't think it particularly matters that VAR will be used in some games and not others. If anything it will help to show how glaringly necessary it is, and how the games it will be used in will be more enjoyable knowing more correct decisions are being made.

Can't see how that's fair like. The rules should be the same for everyone.

Yep - bollocks that - it has to be the same for every match in the competition - I said the same last week about it being used only for Premier League ground-held League Cups ties - shite!

• 1 month later...

Australia had VAR last season, and it was woeful - in the news almost weekly because of some bad call or another.

First week of the new season, and an outrageous decision is made. Enjoy Mark Bosnich ranting about how appalling Australia is doing VAR (coked up, judging by his near-hysteria):

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/1348902467958/bosnich-launches-half-time-var-tirade?playlist=

(Link includes footage of the penalty. Just, wow).

• 4 weeks later...

Unless they use it for every match one weekend, but even then the fixture list will obviously mean it's inherently different for each club.

Don't suppose it's any different for when they use it for certain cup games, but not all the games for whatever round it is.

I guess points are at stake mind in the league, can of worms if that happens.

Really don't get how VAR can be implemented in anything other than a positive manner. Video assistants have been wildly successful in almost every other major sport.  It can't be that hard to look at how it's been done elsewhere and take those models forward.

Although on the other hand, football referees are so ball-shrinkingly poor across the board, if FIFA/UEFA/The FA can't even get some referees who aren't comically incompetent and/or manifestly bent, then there is no hope for anything other than free penalties for 'Big' clubs for ever more.

Guest firetotheworks

Unless they use it for every match one weekend, but even then the fixture list will obviously mean it's inherently different for each club.

Not saying that two wrongs make a right, but it's the same with Goal Line Technology I suppose.

Anyway, good-ish news I think.

FINALLY. Fabulous news. We finally may start getting some decisions in our favour, after suffering for decades.

Having said that, people need to be patient. I'm sure the naysayers will be in full-force at the beginning, holding up the initial jitters with the new process and tech like Luddites hellbent on destroying machines. We need to give VAR time, and deal with all its inherent issues that will surface right away, and refine it over the years so that it works seamlessly and flawlessly. But this will take time, I just hope patience is something that's implemented along with it.

It was good in the WC, a few absolute howlers aside. But what makes me sceptical is our shite refs: when it was trialled in the FA Cup last season it was absolutely awful. The Liverpool v West Brom comes to mind where there was up to 10 minutes of stoppage in the first half alone.