Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basic statistics need to be taught more and at an earlier age in high school. Thomas is right, and F 1-0 F is wrong.

:lol: Again, read what I put properly and you’ll see thomas and I agree on the stat I was discussing.

We’re discussing and disagree on the interpretation of the data though.

Fair enough, but I think your overall tone was unnecessarily aggressive when discussing a tech that's been used and nearly perfected across other sports. "VAR IS CRAP!" is an unnecessarily general statement that's nowhere near true.

Basic statistics need to be taught more and at an earlier age in high school. Thomas is right, and F 1-0 F is wrong.

:lol: Again, read what I put properly and you’ll see thomas and I agree on the stat I was discussing.

Fair enough, but I think your overall tone was unnecessarily aggressive when discussing a tech that's been used and nearly perfected across other sports. "VAR IS CRAP!" is an unnecessarily general statement that's nowhere near true.

It can be perfected in those sports, because they are suitable for it. Football isn’t.

It can be perfected in those sports, because they are suitable for it. Football isn’t.

They used the same arguments for gay marriage and abortion. Just sayin'. ;)

Tonight's match would have definitely been much more exciting if they'd stopped to check every goal, offside and the penalty decision IMO.

Agreed, a good and pure technological improvement would definitely worsen the game if it was misapplied in a heavy handed manner that no one is advocating for :thup:

[emoji38] Again, read what I put properly and you’ll see thomas and I agree on the stat I was discussing.

It is. You just need a designated VAR ref that communicates with the on-pitch ref when called upon rather than the on-pitch ref taking ages looking at the videos. That's the main issue. If you had a designated VAR ref constantly looking at the replays it'd take seconds to solve something.

As it's now being used it's absolutely abhorrent and fucking shit up, though. Don't want VAR in its current form.

Tonight's match would have definitely been much more exciting if they'd stopped to check every goal, offside and the penalty decision IMO.

Agreed, a good and pure technological improvement would definitely worsen the game if it was misapplied in a heavy handed manner that no one is fundamentally capable of avoiding :thup:

Right on, brother.

Agreed, a good and pure technological improvement would definitely worsen the game if it was misapplied in a heavy handed manner that no one is advocating for :thup:

Dave's dangling the bait. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this forum that there are already fucking tons of stoppages in a regular football game, many of them needless, so it's not like VAR is going to be disrupting some 90-min non-stop game of pingpong. People are just afraid of change, it seems. And that's fine. I just think it's the wrong position to hold. Once, and if, perfected, or fine-tuned, VAR in football can be an awesome addition. Like cricket, tennis, rugby and American football, we need to create a custom usage for it that works within the parameters of football, so it doesn't hinder the game we love, and instead enhances it.

:thup: You can't just bring something so radical in and expect it to work perfectly straight away

But then we still have a pointless VAR system that isn't necessary and hasn't been necessary since the games inception.

I think the lack of VAR prior to the last two years is why football is so unpopular across the world.

if you'd tolt the oldtimers of football's beginnings that one day a magic motion picture box could reduce the error of officiating to under 1%, their well lubricated monocles would have comically flown off their faces so hard they'd still be in orbit

I'm afraid of change when it's pointless like. VAR doesn't improve the sport. It doesn't make it any more entertaining, it just adds further pointless caveats and distances it even further from what you can play yourself on a Sunday.

Just let the ref do what referees have been doing for over a century and let us call them cunts when they fuck up. It's all good. Genuinely cannot see how any football fan would want this shite implemented like.

if you'd tolt the oldtimers of football's beginnings that one day a magic motion picture box could reduce the error of officiating to under 1%, their well lubricated monocles would have comically flown off their faces so hard they'd still be in orbit

I think it boils down to two groups: those that long for accurate, reality and data-based outcomes of football games, and those that are okay with a high error rate as long as the game doesn't change at all. I fall into the former category as I've spent far too long as a football fan depressed about what might have been had a particular call gone our way.

I think it boils down to two groups: those that long for accurate, reality and data-based outcomes of football games*, and those that are okay with a high error rate as long as the game doesn't change at all. I fall into the former category as I've spent far too long as a football fan depressed about what might have been had a particular call gone our way.

*in top flight leagues, because fuck everyone else playing the game in the literally thousands of other leagues, let's have our own rules :thup:

I think it boils down to two groups: those that long for accurate, reality and data-based outcomes of football games, and those that are okay with a high error rate as long as the game doesn't change at all. I fall into the former category as I've spent far too long as a football fan depressed about what might have been had a particular call gone our way.

I get the impression the schism is (generally, not exclusively) between people who experience football mainly in person and those who experience it mainly via television.

[emoji38] Again, read what I put properly and you’ll see thomas and I agree on the stat I was discussing.

It is. You just need a designated VAR ref that communicates with the on-pitch ref when called upon rather than the on-pitch ref taking ages looking at the videos. That's the main issue. If you had a designated VAR ref constantly looking at the replays it'd take seconds to solve something.

This is what we've had in the trail in England and it has taken a lot longer than seconds.

I get the impression the schism is (generally, not exclusively) between people who experience football mainly in person and those who experience it mainly via television.

Possibly, and this is a good point. I'm a foreigner so I've only experienced footie, and most sports, via the telly.

I think it boils down to two groups: those that long for accurate, reality and data-based outcomes of football games*, and those that are okay with a high error rate as long as the game doesn't change at all. I fall into the former category as I've spent far too long as a football fan depressed about what might have been had a particular call gone our way.

*in top flight leagues, because fuck everyone else playing the game in the literally thousands of other leagues, let's have our own rules :thup:

This argument doesn't hold water for me because the top flight leagues are already different from thousands of other leagues. We already treat the summit of sports differently from their grassroot levels. This longing to keep the game the absolute same from Sunday leagues to the EPL seems to be unique to football fans, as I don't hear this from tennis, cricket, rugby, etc., sports where VAR has been implemented for years. It hasn't diminished enrollment into those sports, in fact those sports have only grown in popularity. Again, even though I disagree, I do understand where this argument is coming from.

I'll give you goal-line technology, but I can just about accept that one given that it's undeniably 100% based upon fact and will never be anything but.

But aye, even that is fundamentally unfair to everyone else.

This is what we've had in the trail in England and it has taken a lot longer than seconds.

The on-pitch ref always watches the replays in the matches I've seen.