FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

UEFA + CONMEBOL + USA & Mexico... and the rest can just f*** off. They are s*** anyway.

Lets never have a surprise result in football ever again

There would be other teams to make surprises, for example Peru, Venezuela, Slovakia or Slovenia in semi final. That would be surprise.

Just playing devil's advocate here but what happens if FIFA collapses and a new governing body is formed? What are they going to do to stop corruption? Prevent poorer countries from having a say in decisions? Its not as easy as to just start a new organisation and corruption will stop

A better voting system would sort out a lot of the corruption issues tbh. As well as full transparency, which they should have as they are a non-profit.

It's actually quite easy. Not saying all corruption would be gone. But compared to the current FIFA with shit voting system and no transparency whatsoever... I mean, yeah...

What would be your proposed voting system?

As discussed earlier, weighted voting tied to either FIFA ranking or the amount of clubs precided over by an FA.

Guest chicken little

I'd have the power of your vote tied to your FIFA ranking.  It's absolutely ludicrous that Africa have more voting power than Europe.

weapons grade horseshit

Guest axel

Blatter is embarrassing but you have to give him credit for what he can get away with, he's got football stitched up and in his pocket.

Should we give credit to Mengele aswell just because he got away with it? :lol: I don't see the logic.

UEFA + CONMEBOL + USA & Mexico... and the rest can just f*** off. They are s*** anyway.

CONMEBOL would just bring corruption with them to the new organization :lol:

I'd have the power of your vote tied to your FIFA ranking.  It's absolutely ludicrous that Africa have more voting power than Europe.

weapons grade horseshit

I repeat, this is the terriblest idea ever. Europe would immediately cut all funds for football development projects in Africa/Asia. What's the point of making them better when that just means they'll get more votes.

weapons grade horseshit

I repeat, this is the terriblest idea ever. Europe would immediately cut all funds for football development projects in Africa/Asia. What's the point of making them better when that just means they'll get more votes.

There's no reason to assume that. There's no reason to assume that funding for football development even needs to voted on. If you're building something from scratch there's no reason why you couldn't write something on division of funds into a founding charter or similar. It's just a massive assumption you're making. If you're trying to level the field in FIFA there's no reason why you couldn't make those sort of arrangements too.

weapons grade horseshit

There's no reason to assume that. There's no reason to assume that funding for football development even needs to voted on. If you're building something from scratch there's no reason why you couldn't write something on division of funds into a founding charter or similar. It's just a massive assumption you're making. If you're trying to level the field in FIFA there's no reason why you couldn't make those sort of arrangements too.

Of course you could implement revenue-sharing or other equalizing measures prior to giving them more votes, but in a hypothetical environment that is sufficiently pro-UEFA to institutionalize weighted voting for these countries, how would those unamendable revenue-sharing measures pass in the first place?

Also, from a purely normative perspective, why must Africa and Asia be reliant on the goodwill of the UEFA countries to represent their interests? We don't deserve an equal voice just because we're shit at football? Africa is now providing the top European leagues with a significant portion of their star players and Asia is providing a significant portion of their fans. We're all part of this enterprise and have no interest in being relegated to junior partner status just because other parts of the world happened to start kicking balls earlier than we did.

Sad that after all this shit, this man is re-elected tells you all you need to know about that organisation.

the sad thing is how deep it goes, from fifa right down to almost certainly 90% of the national FA's even if got rid of the head of every single fa and all the major players in fifa the guys replacing them would be just as corrupt because they'd just be stepping up in rank and have been part of the whole crooked enterprise all along.

weapons grade horseshit

Of course you could implement revenue-sharing or other equalizing measures prior to giving them more votes, but in a hypothetical environment that is sufficiently pro-UEFA to institutionalize weighted voting for these countries, how would those unamendable revenue-sharing measures pass in the first place?

Also, from a purely normative perspective, why must Africa and Asia be reliant on the goodwill of the UEFA countries to represent their interests? We don't deserve an equal voice just because we're shit at football? Africa is now providing the top European leagues with a significant portion of their star players and Asia is providing a significant portion of their fans. We're all part of this enterprise and have no interest in being relegated to junior partner status just because other parts of the world happened to start kicking balls earlier than we did.

My main issue is that the fucking Cayman Isles have the same say as South Korea. In no way should the Cayman Isles have as much a say in world football as South Korea, or other "big" FAs. Will the Cayman Isles ever get close to qualifying for a World Cup?  If doing the FIFA ranking thing, one could simply take the top five from each association in the FIFA rankings and give their votes the same power, then take six-ten from the FIFA rankings and so on until you can no longer choose an equal amount from each association. After that you'd just go with the vote counting equally among the remaining nations. That way each association will still have an equal amount of say at the same time as making vote buying a bit harder.

weapons grade horseshit

My main issue is that the fucking Cayman Isles have the same say as South Korea. In no way should the Cayman Isles have as much a say in world football as South Korea, or other "big" FAs. Will the Cayman Isles ever get close to qualifying for a World Cup?  If doing the FIFA ranking thing, one could simply take the top five from each association in the FIFA rankings and give their votes the same power, then take six-ten from the FIFA rankings and so on. That way each association will still have an equal amount of say.

I'd be okay with that for obvious reasons but that's just setting the cutoff point at a different level. Not all countries with low FIFA rankings are jokes like the Cayman Islands, and a lot of them would have legitimate grievances about how they're ever meant to improve if they're not given a voice due to votes weighted by FIFA ranking/# of registered clubs etc.

Just playing devil's advocate here but what happens if FIFA collapses and a new governing body is formed? What are they going to do to stop corruption? Prevent poorer countries from having a say in decisions? Its not as easy as to just start a new organisation and corruption will stop

A better voting system would sort out a lot of the corruption issues tbh. As well as full transparency, which they should have as they are a non-profit.

It's actually quite easy. Not saying all corruption would be gone. But compared to the current FIFA with shit voting system and no transparency whatsoever... I mean, yeah...

What would be your proposed voting system?

As discussed earlier, weighted voting tied to either FIFA ranking or the amount of clubs precided over by an FA.

Sorry should have looked back at your earlier posts. This would just result in whoever the big countries want in charge getting in charge which I don't agree with. Football is the most popular sport in almost every country in the world and IMO all countries should be treated equally

Just boycott the World Cup unless he leaves.  Actually do it. Russia and particularly Qatar will be miserable wastes of time for the fans anyway. 2018 is a de facto endorsement of a tyrant, and 2022 is just a total, cynical affront to the game.

This is the problem with the UEFA nations, including the English FA and British government. Launching a real investigation and trying to get them extradited for an actual criminal trial would never even cross their minds. And they won't even consider withdrawing from the tournament either. It's all sternly worded letters from Culture & Sport Ministers and Parliamentary inquiries followed by Panorama documentaries and public moaning. If you don't like it, do something. Withdraw. The World Cup is s*** now anyway.

To be clear, I have no problem at all with rotating the Cup to Asia or Latin America or Africa, and no problem at all with equal representation for global regions. But this entire FIFA racket - from the corruption to this farce of a vote today - is just propped up by Blatter and fat, rich, blatant crooks from FAs in the developing world that have no interest at all in developing their local game.

weapons grade horseshit

If we're talking hypothetically, then I'd imagine the revenue sharing being a part of the voting weight change. Why would the small nations agree to the change otherwise? Also, as you point out, Europe gets a lot of players from other parts of the world already. Players from outside of Europe and South America are generally pretty cheap, too. It's in their interest to develop the global game already. I don't think it's automatic that a proportionately powerful UEFA would stomp on everyone else.