England

Yorkie

Still a big call to leave your best player out of an international side due to disciplinary reasons.

True, but the same disciplinary rules have to apply to everyone. No player is bigger than the team.

Southgate is a man of principle, and it's good that he hasn't ducked the issue.

Guest neesy111

Gomez played up to the crowd during the game as well. He clearly did something to antagonize Sterling and I find it incredible that Southgate / The FA would choose to punish just one and not the other.

:thup:

Gomez played up to the crowd during the game as well. He clearly did something to antagonize Sterling and I find it incredible that Southgate / The FA would choose to punish just one and not the other.

Yeah, Gomez needs to be spoken to, but I don't think he's done anything that is punishable, in any book.

Dropping your most important player for behaviour that you want to eliminate, sends a powerful message. And it's not like it matters for this game.

Depends what Gomez did to spark it off really, from what I just read he started laughing at him when he walked in. He’s gonna react

From what I read, Gomez was laughing with his teammates, not laughing at Sterling

I'm not sure he's a great manager but I think Southgate is a very wise man and I strongly doubt he'd just punish Sterling if Gomez was equally at fault

Who was it in the video of the England players having an argument in training and deciding it by one of them hitting the crossbar from about 60 yards? Was that TAA? Seem to recall all of the Liverpool players coming across as massive bellends in that video.

Sterling had a good game on Sunday, but by the end of it he looked way too pumped up. His manager probably didn't help in that respect, ranting and raving on the touchline. It looks like he still hadn't completely calmed down by the time the squad got together.

Think it was a good call from Southgate. You can't have club rivalries spilling over into international duty, especially in the canteen. It'd be one thing if it was in training, that's expected.

From what I read Sterling said something first then Gomez laughed thinking it was a joke. Either way, just can't let anything from the pitch spill over like that with an international teammate and not punish it.