West Ham United vs Newcastle United | Saturday 12th September | 8pm (Sky Sports)

Infinitely Content

That's an attacking left back with Hendrick tucking into cover the overlap, with ASM on the right, Manq doesn't need to overlap.

Looks quite sensible on paper, but it isn't if you don't fecking attack.

Going forward that might work out okay.

How do we lineup defensively though? Shelvey will be exposed in a midfield pairing.

Fraser can’t be fit and you have to imagine we’ll be booting it up for Carroll to knock on to Wilson. Miggy will come on for Carroll at around 60, play off Wilson and Fraser will come on as well. I’ll not criticise the line up, first game, away from home never going to be too attacking a line up.

That's an attacking left back with Hendrick tucking into cover the overlap, with ASM on the right, Manq doesn't need to overlap.

How do we lineup defensively though? Shelvey will be exposed in a midfield pairing.

Yep, his lack of mobility might hurt us in a 4-4-2.

Not totally disappointed with the line up. Hendrick and Hayden will have to keep their midfield quiet, get Shelvey on the ball to bring ASM and Wilson into things.

Carroll will know their back line inside out.. he’ll know exactly where chances will come.

Fraser can’t be fit and you have to imagine we’ll be booting it up for Carroll to knock on to Wilson. Miggy will come on for Carroll at around 60, play off Wilson and Fraser will come on as well. I’ll not criticise the line up, first game, away from home never going to be too attacking a line up.

Problem is, it isn't exactly a defensive line up either. Not convinced that midfield offers enough protection to the back four.

You've had since Newcastle signed these players to get over the fact that Bruce will not use the formation or set of players that makes most sense to 99% of people that follows Newcastle and football in general. This was completely predictable and will be what you will have to live with if you watch/follow this team this season. That being said, the opponent is West Ham so there's always the chance of a jammy win or boring draw.

I did say we would be vulnerable at the back.

Problem is, it isn't exactly a defensive line up either. Not convinced that midfield offers enough protection to the back four.

That’ll be Hayden’s role. Was it 2 seasons ago it was S Longstaff v Rice down there & we made Rice look like Mattaus. ASM ruined them last season, I can’t see them playing such a high line this time.