Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Annoys me that the PL games are still staggered though the day and not free on TV. Absolutely no reason for it now other than to try and fleece more money from the fans

Couldn't disagree more, it's absolutely brilliant :lol:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

Government responded:

We will take the earliest opportunity to look again at getting spectators safely back into stadia but this must clearly be done carefully against the prevailing health conditions.

Football clubs form the bedrock of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. Their importance has been clearly demonstrated throughout the pandemic with clubs at all levels providing incredible support to their area.

That is why the Government is committed to supporting sports clubs up and down the country, with many football clubs benefitting from the Government’s unprecedented financial support to businesses.

The Government is fully aware of the importance of getting spectators back into stadia for many sports, and the financial consequences of the decision not to allow this from 1 October. The evidence received from the Chief Medical Officer was very clear that at a time of rapidly rising infections, and when the Government was considering restrictions elsewhere, it was not the right time to undertake any further easements.

We will continue to work closely with a whole range of sports to understand the latest thinking that might allow spectators to return. This includes the creation of a new Sports Technology Innovation Working Group of sporting bodies and health experts to analyse new technologies which might support this. This will supplement the draft government guidance, and the SGSA supplementary guidance to their Green Guide, which has been internationally welcomed.

We are committed to getting spectators back into stadia as soon as it is safe to do so.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

It’s going to get shut down again isn’t it?

Nah, but international football shouldn’t be allowed to go ahead, madness!

All PL games now included in the usual subscriptions until at least the new year.

Delighted they've fucked themselves over pointlessly for a shitload of terrible PR, and had to abandon the whole idea due to it being an unmitigated disaster. Wankers.

Because you'd have supporters having to travel distances to watch their games at daft times

One of the best things about the English football pyramid is how many fans go to games up and down the league. Where's the incentive to go to the games if all PL games are televised at non-fan friendly times?

Do you know that for certain? How many of them prefer to stay overnight anyway, do you have an idea? Maybe quite few of them do. Maybe it would start becoming more regular, albeit meaning more cash (not sure it would be too much of an issue if it's someone that follows their team regularly around the country anyway).

If people have the choice of having to travel down to Southampton for a Friday evening game (having to take at least 1 day off work and probably at least 1 night in a hotel) or watch it on telly then I think the majority would choose the latter.

If they're having to make a similar choice every other weekend then I think the majority are going to sack it off and watch most games on the telly. Especially with VAR ruining the spectacle for supporters in the ground anyway.

We regularly criticise the PL for only thinking about themselves and the money but by keeping it like this after coronavirus just helps their argument

If people have the choice of having to travel down to Southampton for a Friday evening game (having to take at least 1 day off work and probably at least 1 night in a hotel) or watch it on telly then I think the majority would choose the latter.

If they're having to make a similar choice every other weekend then I think the majority are going to sack it off and watch most games on the telly. Especially with VAR ruining the spectacle for supporters in the ground anyway.

We regularly criticise the PL for only thinking about themselves and the money but by keeping it like this after coronavirus just helps their argument

I think a happy medium should be attained. Long distance games kept at earlier times and shorter travelling can be later nights and all still to be on tv works for me

Guest neesy111

I don't understand why we've had Monday Night Football for so long yet Fridays, an objectively much better time, is so recent.

Isn't it because people usually do stuff on Fridays to start the weekend compared to Mondays?

I used to really enjoy it when all the kick offs were at 3.00pm Saturday and watching or listening as the results came in.  Even at the games you might find someone with a transistor radio picking up the scores from somewhere and telling those around him. Oh and the players played for the shirt and not for money.      Happy days