Danny Rose (now a free agent)

Always felt if you get Rose you actually can do a back 4 because he’s a better LB than LWB but then Brucey comes out saying he’s like for like.

FYI I think Jetro would have been more than fine as a LB in a 4. The issue remains at CM.

Guest godzilla

In my opinion Rose has always been more of a defensively minded full back. He won't be getting forward on that left hand side.

Not what I saw when he was playing for Tottenham mind

He's a very good footballer playing in a very poor team, a team with absolutely no identity or aim. Managed by sub standard manager who's only got the job because of his birthplace and not his ability.

This has been said so many times and it's still true, except for the brief interlude that was Rafa, it would be nice to see some of our player managed by a proper manager, never happening under Ashley now like.

• 2 weeks later...

First time since he's been here that he's shown a bit of the quality which obviously he must have to be an England player. Really good in possession, and didn't look like he would rather be somewhere else for a change.

Worst player on the pitch by far.  He is terrified of crossing the half way line.  Only because he is unfit and fat!

I was going to say, I'm not sure he's crossed the halfway line since he signed.

He's not getting forward at all, this is what has surprised me as well, but he defended well, and did actually play the ball out well from the back. I would think his possession stats looked pretty good last night, he seemed very calm when he was getting pressed on the ball.

His experience and anticipation of situations was very apparent last night, but it looked to me like he'd lost his pace, and that was exploited a few times. I assumed that was why he rarely joined the attack.

Based on that performance, I can see why Mourinho felt he was surplus to requirements.

His experience and anticipation of situations was very apparent last night, but it looked to me like he'd lost his pace, and that was exploited a few times. I assumed that was why he rarely joined the attack.

Based on that performance, I can see why Mourinho felt he was surplus to requirements.

I thought he looked slightly overweight the other week v Arsenal.

Looks way off from what he was at his best but he was fine last night. Agree about him not really attacking much, Willems is a much better bet long term (lol, as if there is any long term planning).

Guest Howaythetoon

There is a very good player in there somewhere, but I’m not sure he’s mentally 100% committed to reaching the levels needed for that player in him to break free and especially to remain there week in week out..

And Bruce and this Newcastle won’t help matters further either on that front, if anything maybe have the opposite effect.

Under a Rafa, if he was committed all the way, he’d be capable of a level way above where he’s at now.

He’s better than Dummet though which is where we are at, that and he fits the profile as players we can/will/only sign.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like he wants to stay

First and foremost, I'm playing for my future. I don't think I need a bigger motivation than that. I've settled in very well, I love the lads and members of staff, and the fans. I'm currently staying in a hotel and honestly, you wouldn't believe the things I have to say about how the hotel have treated me throughout all of this

The lengths that they've gone to, it's been surreal how nice people have been. They've tried everything to make sure my stay has been as smooth as possible. For me, I'd love to play for Newcastle for longer than what's on my contract

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/exclusive-danny-rose-interview-in-sundays-free-programme/

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s nowhere near the quality of Willems.

Similar quality IMO, only he is more motivated, but has had his fair share of fitness issues...

Post takeover, neither are (will be) good enough!

Wouldn’t mind Rose and Willems as either of our starting options or competing options assuming there is a takeover. Jetro to me was next level in terms of his attacking ability and skill on ball. Rose is def a better defender IMO.