Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Liverpool’s transfer hits just happen to have developed into some of the best players in the world and are able to consistently perform at every stage. That’s the difference. They couple that with a world class manager and the ground swell picks up. Add in they don’t settle and continue to push.

It’s about time people stop pointing fingers and just accept it for what it is. Liverpool were purchased by highly intelligent and ambitious people and over several years they’ve learned from their mistakes, built up incredible revenue streams to fund investment on and off pitch and are fully deserved in where they are today. Simple as that.

Still twats though, fuck em.

Mike[/member]

People forget that Liverpool had £200m of debt in 2010 which was magically wiped out overnight when Hicks & Gillett were forced out. Why is that so much more different to Man City?

wasn't the purchase price pretty low though, so you could argue the debt payment was part of the ownership process much like it will be when ashley sells (:yao:)

People forget that Liverpool had £200m of debt in 2010 which was magically wiped out overnight when Hicks & Gillett were forced out. Why is that so much more different to Man City?

Wiped out? What do you mean, exactly? Was it not paid off as part of the sale? Surely there aren't people out thee wiping out £200M  debts? If there are I want a lend of a tenner.

Wiped out? What do you mean, exactly? Was it not paid off as part of the sale? Surely there aren't people out thee wiping out £200M  debts? If there are I want a lend of £200M.

fyp

really hard to work out what if anything they paid gillett & hicks looking back at the articles, from what i can see they agreed to pay off the debt the club owed RBS and that gave them ownership - somewhere between 2-300m - so the other yanks didn't seem to get anything as they were suing fenway over it

can't see any issue with that myself

Wiped out? What do you mean, exactly? Was it not paid off as part of the sale? Surely there aren't people out thee wiping out £200M  debts? If there are I want a lend of £200M.

fyp

I only need a tenner.

Issue is they were slipping away from the top 6 with the likes of Spearing, Shelvey, Poulsen & Carroll and in debt, then a takeover wiped out their debt overnight and gave them a platform to challenge again.

Seems like perfectly normal business practice, to me. You could say the same of Man City, of course, except breaking rules put in place to maintain a balanced playing field... is general business practice.

But this is why I don’t think there should be rules around this which is my original point. If it’s unfair on the established top 3 for City to spend what they want, then it was unfair on the teams who normally battle for 5th-7th or whatever for Liverpool to suddenly go from £200m of debt to being able to spend what they fancied again.

Liverpool’s transfer hits just happen to have developed into some of the best players in the world and are able to consistently perform at every stage. That’s the difference. They couple that with a world class manager and the ground swell picks up. Add in they don’t settle and continue to push.

It’s about time people stop pointing fingers and just accept it for what it is. Liverpool were purchased by highly intelligent and ambitious people and over several years they’ve learned from their mistakes, built up incredible revenue streams to fund investment on and off pitch and are fully deserved in where they are today. Simple as that.

Hiring a world class manager and backing him with funds is what separates Liverpool from anything we would ever do with Ashley, even if he had an extra £200m to spend. Klopp didn't spend a huge amount on players like Mane and Sala, but they were the right players, and he got them because he was the right manager. This is something that our massive bell end of an owner refuses to countenance. He deliberately picks shit managers so he can continue with his bent transfer policy where he probably takes a cut of the agents fees in a paper bag.

Maybe we'll get banned from Europe for a couple of years when they investigate Mikes overspend on NUFC

I think were already banned from Europe, by the owner, on account of it being a benefit to the club but not to him. (a double jeopardy as far as he's concerned)

Amazing how many times what's right for the club and right for Ashley clash. Europe, the club losing land - the Ashley family getting richer etc. The two are in direct competition with each other and nothing is said. He benefits to the exact tune the club is damaged.

I can totally see Ashley fucking off the richest man in the world so he can borrow Peter Kenyon £350 million at an outrageous interest rate and allow himself a 10% stake with unlimited free advertising and control of the club shop.