The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

He's a good manager who will always win stuff but his record with bringing young players through and building anything that lasts beyond 3 years or so is poor.  He's obsessed with trophies and his own record in that regard.  Plus he's been deeply unpleasant when in a management role for quite a long time now.  Also his obsession with trophies and nullifying tactics lead to loads of dead rubber borefests whenever he's involved.  Maybe he'll mature/mellow with age, otherwise I think most have had their fill of him.

No idea what happened in his last half season at Chelsea but that Man United job seems like a poisoned chalice to anyone atm. The guy is still the most successful manager in world football in the last 15 years alongside Pep Guardiola. After this break he needs to do a Rafa and go to a smaller club than those at the very top imo.

Sarri hasn't done a bad job at Chelsea this season.

:thup: quietly getting them to 3rd in the league with a shot at winning the EL. Very good season.

Yes it is. He's transforming the way they play, which is always going to take time. 4 goals and 4 assists for Kante this year, so pushing him further forward might not be as crazy as it initially sounded.

Know this will make the idiots fume but to add to that Chelsea underperformed their expected goals by 14 points which shows that they would have done way better if they had a better striker too

Know this will make the idiots fume but to add to that Chelsea underperformed their expected goals by 14 points which shows that they would have done way better if they had a better striker too

Where are you getting this from? Their xG was 63.97 and they scored 63 goals.

Sorry expected points I meant

Sorry expected points I meant

Hmm.

Wonder what the different methodologies are used as this one has Chelsea getting more than their xP.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

He's more ruthless than Rafa (and that's saying something) but Rafa's a good, kind man underneath all that who wants to bring others up. Jose's bitter, angry and doesn't help anyone but himself long term. Buys himself short term success then buzzes off. That's great if a team can follow up with something that lasts after him. Not sure he'd do much good for a smaller team though.

People using the term "Invest in the club" when they really mean "spend money on the club without getting a return".

I don't think people really understand what "Investing" means, compared to Spending. 

RTG is a prime example of wanting to "Invest" £50M to produce a more entertaining team but it would only raise the value of the club by £20M

• 4 months later...

I don’t particularly rate Jack Wilshere’s/Arsenal team ‘goal of the season’. Aye it was decent but for me it was overrated. One or two of the passes were improvised (one where I think it’s slightly behind Wilshere and he has to throw his leg up for it to bounce back for another 1-2).

I don’t know man, it was good but not as amazing as it was cracked up to be.

• 1 year later...

Gary Speed wasn't very good. Brilliant bloke, brilliant professional attitude, excellent in the air. Crap at passing, second touch was a header.

Shay Given was average. Shortest 6'0 man I've ever seen. Couldn't take crosses, atrocious at kicking, would shit his pants on the back pass, didn't communicate very well, didn't command his area. Decent shot stopper but still way over rated.