Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

When Rafa left my love for the club left with him and after 70+ years I never thought that would be possible

Makes for sad reading. I feel exactly the same (well not the 70 years part).

Merry Christmas Rafa.

I mean to quote rafa in that article

Some people criticize the fans and say, 'Oh they want too much'. No. They just want to be at a level they deserve.

On the other side:

'If you're a club like ours that expects to be in the bottom half of the Premier League, it's always tough,'

• 3 weeks later...

Man ... we were so close to building the club up to something worthwhile again. So close.

It’s a travesty!

Coming back on the train after Fulham, everyone and everything seemed so positive - all the talk was Rafa was going to re-sign, Rondon permanent and go from there! I think Perez would have stayed and Rafa could have spent the other £50m which this clown spent on what he wanted.

But of course, Ashley, the stupid twat, knows best  :rant:

To think we let him walk away and paid £3m to hire this useless bastard  :rant:

It’s absolutely absurd

Man ... we were so close to building the club up to something worthwhile again. So close.

It’s a travesty!

Coming back on the train after Fulham, everyone and everything seemed so positive - all the talk was Rafa was going to re-sign, Rondon permanent and go from there! I think Perez would have stayed and Rafa could have spent the other £50m which this clown spent on what he wanted.

But of course, Ashley, the stupid twat, knows best  :rant:

To think we let him walk away and paid £3m to hire this useless bastard  :rant:

It’s absolutely absurd

I was thinking about this myself last night.

During Ashley's time here he's adopted this policy of looking to sign unknown foreign players on the cheap, with minimal English signings (with PL experience) sprinkled in. Meanwhile we never look to the continent for hidden gems in terms of managerial appointments, and worse, we'll actually pay a compensation fee for an English manager that the game passed by in the 00's. Ashley's entire philosophy has been arse backwards.

We really weren't. The sort of infrastructure Rafa was talking about building requires investment, and Ashley was never interested in infrastructure as there's no obvious quick gains to be made. Rafa knew by the end that he was never going to be on the same wavelength as the owner and that was never going to change. In hindsight even fighting to sign Rondon was a ridiculous state of affairs for a manager of his pedigree. He wouldn't even be looking at those players if he was at Liverpool or Tottenham.