Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

I'll admit to being a Ritchie doubter, and I still am to some extent. Part of that is because I've got an inherent bias towards what I think a winger should be (fast, tricky, able to beat players and stretch teams - basically pre-injuries Keith Gillespie :lol:).

I think Ritchie is a decent player generally, if he's adding end product on top of the hard work consistently then he's firmly a "good" player and I'm happy he's in the team. I recognize the importance of having someone with his tenacity and leadership in the team/at the club and how it's a positive influence on those around him, but at the same time I'll always be anticipating a run of form where he produces nothing because I don't think he's talented enough/has enough in his game to keep this level of form up in the long term. Once he gets more attention and is better marked I'm guessing he'll be producing nothing alot of the time, and if/when it happens I'll always want the club to be looking to upgrade. It's almost like having a winger version of Kevin Nolan, as much as you like him and what he brings to the side, and no matter how favourable the stats are you know if there's a Cabaye calibre upgrade out there you'd be daft not to take it.

If it doesn't happen and he keeps the current level of form up, i.e. I'm completely wrong, then even better. We have a good quality player to help drive the team.

I'll admit to being a Ritchie doubter, and I still am to some extent. Part of that is because I've got an inherent bias towards what I think a winger should be (fast, tricky, able to beat players and stretch teams - basically pre-injuries Keith Gillespie :lol:).

I think Ritchie is a decent player generally, if he's adding end product on top of the hard work consistently then he's firmly a "good" player and I'm happy he's in the team. I recognize the importance of having someone with his tenacity and leadership in the team/at the club and how it's a positive influence on those around him, but at the same time I'll always be anticipating a run of form where he produces nothing because I don't think he's talented enough/has enough in his game to keep this level of form up in the long term. Once he gets more attention and is better marked I'm guessing he'll be producing nothing alot of the time, and if/when it happens I'll always want the club to be looking to upgrade. It's almost like having a winger version of Kevin Nolan, as much as you like him and what he brings to the side, and no matter how favourable the stats are you know if there's a Cabaye calibre upgrade out there you'd be daft not to take it.

If it doesn't happen and he keeps the current level of form up, i.e. I'm completely wrong, then even better. We have a good quality player to help drive the team.

Gabriel Obertan?

I was far from convinced when he joined but his signing looks inspired, he encompasses everything NUFC, hard work, desire & a will to win. If he keeps up this form he'll be rivalling de bruyne for top assists. Matt Ritchie a fan favourite who will be here for many years to come.

I was far from convinced when he joined but his signing looks inspired, he encompasses everything NUFC, hard work, desire & a will to win. If he keeps up this form he'll be rivalling de bruyne for top assists. Matt Ritchie a fan favourite who will be here for many years to come.

If we keep up our form Lascalles will be our top scorer :kasper:

People actually wanted us to replace Ritchie? He was the one player I knew would be able to make the step up, mainly as he was excellent for Bournemouth the season before he joined us.

I don't think that entirely true to be honest - pretty sure he had fairly average season for Bournemouth the year before he came to us. Part of the reason they agreed to sell him.

People actually wanted us to replace Ritchie? He was the one player I knew would be able to make the step up, mainly as he was excellent for Bournemouth the season before he joined us.

I don't think that entirely true to be honest - pretty sure he had fairly average season for Bournemouth the year before he came to us. Part of the reason they agreed to sell him.

Bit of both wasn't it. he had an OK season, they wanted to keep him but he was desperate to come and we offered a decent price.

Bit of both wasn't it. he had an OK season, they wanted to keep him but he was desperate to come and we offered a decent price.

Ok season might be a fairer assessment - can't remember the stats re goals and assists but I think he was a fair way off an excellent season.

People were in a rush to write off almost every one of our players 2 games in tbf.

Definitely. Me included like, a lot of it has to do with the fact we're managed by a sex god but we probably need to hold off on our critisism of players.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/matt-ritchie.1245021/

I always find this topic on Ritchie from RTG hilarious.

The topic went from "The deluded mags think they're signing Matt Ritchie, 'I shit you not'."

more mackem shite - "Not one of the 18 comments I read even, for a moment, questioned how a Premier League club's star player, whom they have recently turned down a huge bid for from a club in Europe in West Ham, could viably be a realistic and likely signing for them. Delusion and ignorance beyond belief!"

The topic then went to this after it became obvious we were signing him...

Why are Bournemouth selling him? Clearly he isn't as good as most are making out.

and...

Clearly he's been sold the prospect of Champions League football.

and

A mag coming on a premier league clubs forum getting excited about signing Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie oh how the mighty have fallen

and

So it was all a big joke when this was first mentioned, smilies, deluded etc. Now it looks like it could happen he's not that good anyway!

This place man!! :lol::lol:

and the best one...

They forgotten there playing at Burton Albion next season...  :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-ritchie-eager-part-era-13635251?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ritchie was one of the many heroes against the Potters after weighing in with two assists to help set up a respectable win against Mark Hughes’ side.

Afterwards, he told the Chronicle: “It’s time to make new memories.

“You are as only as good as your last game and we are as good as we played in the Premier League on Saturday.

“We will build on that for the minute and there is a positive vibe around the place.

“We need to keep that and the only way we do that is through grit, determination and hard work.

“If you take your foot off the gas you will soon start getting beat and dropping points.

“We need to make sure that we keep getting better and when you are doing well it’s the time to stay focused and continue to work hard.

“That is the message the manager will give for sure and likewise all the players.”

And when asked about his own excellent form Ritchie was eager to underline the fact it’s very much a team effort.

He responded: “The assists are helping the team and that’s fantastic and I am really delighted but the team performance is really good.

“It wasn’t quite the same as the West Ham game where we could get on top straight away and take control.

“Stoke were very good in the opening 15 minutes and made us be patient in the way we wanted to play.

“We showed real patience and maturity in the first 20 minutes or so because we didn’t go and press when it wasn’t on to do that.

“We wanted to get the fans behind us early in the game (by getting an early goal).

“But it didn’t work out that way.

“So it was a fantastic performance to battle and I was really delighted with the result.”

Newcastle’s clever game plan warmed 50,000 United fans on Saturday with Ritchie delighted by the crowd’s understanding of what the team are trying to achieve at the moment.

Ritchie said: “The fans were fantastic.

“After 10 or 15 minutes I was thinking we needed to get on the front foot a bit more and get up the pitch.

“They were dropping deep and switching the play well and their two central midfielders were getting too much of the ball than what we’d hoped for in our game plan.

“Luckily enough our fans stick by us because they know we are trying to do the right things.

“That’s exactly what they did and it makes a big difference when the fans are behind us.

“In the end, the performance was fantastic and showed real maturity.

“We stayed compact and didn’t let Stoke get into the game or create chances.

“We then grew into it and we could have led by more than one goal at half-time.

“But the positive thing is we are creating chances.”

I quite strongly disagree with a lot of this. I think you can use his pace and lack of skill/trickery as a reason why he may struggle to step up a division as a wide man, but you're painting him as no more than a grafter with little ability that's going through a bit of a purple patch with his end product; something that his career to date has shown is not the case.

He has always had very good technical ability; he's a superb passer of the ball and thinks quicker than most. He's decisive, doesn't hold on to the ball longer than necessary and when the opportunity presents itself to either shoot, cross or play a killer pass he often does so with quality. I'd be very surprised if anyone in our team comes close to him for assists, come the end of the season.