Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

i agree, think he'll thrive once/if we add some better players and start getting a system that works a bit better with more movement wide and through the middle

When Shelvey is playing Richie looks much better, having said that so does the rest of the team!

I am still a fan of the three centre backs with pacey full backs operating as "wing backs".  Yedlin fits that role in my opinion for the right but, we have never had a suitable left back / left wing back in my history of supporting this club.

Beresford could have been the closest.

With that formation we can use Shelvey centrally with another playmaker and a defensive midfielder, then to finish off the formation we need a good #10 to back up whichever striker we go with.

I am half convinced that this is the eventual formation / structure that Benitez is aiming for.

I am still a fan of the three centre backs with pacey full backs operating as "wing backs".  Yedlin fits that role in my opinion for the right but, we have never had a suitable left back / left wing back in my history of supporting this club.

With that formation we can use Shelvey centrally with another playmaker and a defensive midfielder, then to finish off the formation we need a good #10 to back up whichever striker we go with.

I am half convinced that this is the eventual formation / structure that Benitez is aiming for.

Bernard was very promising, and with less defensive focus, Santon might have been possible.

I'm just kind of sick of inverted wingers.  Give me a pacy left footer on the left and vice versa on the right.  Beat your man and swing in a cross.

Same here. I could go for them if we set up a system where the full back overlaps and that provides the width, but it hasn't really happened this season, Ritchie has mostly ended up playing with Anita, and they both tend to cut inside.

Bernard? Enrique?

Bernard? Enrique?

Yeah can't believe I forgot about Enrique, was my favourite player for ages. Beast for us.

Actually yes, Bernard and Enrique were both very good left backs.

It shows really that - given I have supported and followed NUFC for close to 45 years (since my first ever match) - that I have to really think about who was a great left back.