Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic assist last night for Scotland. Inch perfect.

Aye he was brilliant, but for us so far playing on the right he has to check back on to his left foot. I wish Rafa would play him on the left so he can deliver like he did last night on the run. No pausing or cutting back.

He looked miles better against Fulham on the right than he did on the left, and Rafa has rightly played him there since.

He's played absolutely loads more games on the right wing than on the left because it's his best position.

Fantastic assist last night for Scotland. Inch perfect.

Aye he was brilliant, but for us so far playing on the right he has to check back on to his left foot. I wish Rafa would play him on the left so he can deliver like he did last night on the run. No pausing or cutting back.

Given he played on the right the majority of the time at Bournemouth I'm thinking he prefers to play there. Plus he was ineffective on the left against Fulham, total different player second half when switched to the right.

Didn't he play almost exclusively for Bournemouth on the right?  No idea who regularly played on the left for them, but I doubt he was stopping Ritchie from playing there. 

Not saying he can't do a job on the other side.  But I'd keep him in his preferred position, on the right.

Didn't he play almost exclusively for Bournemouth on the right?  No idea who regularly played on the left for them, but I doubt he was stopping Ritchie from playing there. 

Not saying he can't do a job on the other side.  But I'd keep him in his preferred position, on the right.

Me too, if that is his preferred position.

But isn't it wonderful that he CAN play on the left also, you know a little bit of versatility. Our problem, for a long time, has always been no plan B, Ritchie is a whole plan B just on his own.

Marc Pugh played on the left for Bournemouth. We've had Ben Arfa and Townsend who can play on the left but they were much more effective on the right by creating and scoring chances. Doesn't make sense to shift Ritchie to the left when he's playing so well on the right

Marc Pugh played on the left for Bournemouth. We've had Ben Arfa and Townsend who can play on the left but they were much more effective on the right by creating and scoring chances

We might end up playing a 4312 with our FB acquisitions, and limited winger options.

Ritchie with a free role could be effective.

We might end up playing that system but I'd be surprised if Rafa has ever played it and if we have 2 up front he'd likely want our best crosser of the ball playing predominantly  on the wing.

I was mainly objecting to bimpy saying that Rafa should start playing Ritchie on the left.

He might have been playing on the right due to our lone striker being Dwight Gayle. Now that we have the option of Mitro/Murphy up front, Rafa may see getting good quality early delivery into the box as a priority so may try him on the left, we shall see.

He's class on both flanks so a nice problem to have.

We might end up playing that system but I'd be surprised if Rafa has ever played it and if we have 2 up front he'd likely want our best crosser of the ball playing predominantly  on the wing.

I was mainly objecting to bimpy saying that Rafa should start playing Ritchie on the left.

If there is no argument that's his favoured position then definitely. If teams are prepared to leave space he'll be better running into that space from the right.

But if teams are going to sit back then he can get a quick ball in from the left that either of our forwards could benefit from.

He's a real asset to our chances this season.

With us probably moving towards full backs who can overlap, I don't think it will matter much which side he plays. I'm not even sure which foot he favours, but he'll probably be used in a way which suits him cutting inside for shots on goal.

With us probably moving towards full backs who can overlap, I don't think it will matter much which side he plays. I'm not even sure which foot he favours, but he'll probably be used in a way which suits him cutting inside for shots on goal.

Really? He's very obviously left footed

Without a target man up until now he was always going to play on the right because he's so dangerous cutting in to link  play or take a shot, with Mitro and to a lesser extent Murphy in the middle I think we'll see him switching to the left to knock some crosses in, more of a free role than touch line hogging.

Really? He's very obviously left footed

In which case there might be times he switches to the left if we go 4-4-2 or need service to Mitro or Murphy, but in Rafa's preferred formation he'll probably be used mostly on the right.