Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

He created a few chances that nobody attacked and would have won a penalty if not for appalling refereeing. If you don't think he was our best player by far last night you're a bit of an idiot, frankly.

Yep.

Created nothing and missed out best chance, best player on the pitch :yao:

I'm not saying he played badly but we have strong cases of confirmation bias on here [emoji38]

Thankfully not as weak as Messi or Ronaldo, though.

He created a few chances that nobody attacked and would have won a penalty if not for appalling refereeing. If you don't think he was our best player by far last night you're a bit of an idiot, frankly.

If directed at me:

I never said he wasn't our best player was merely highlighting the fact his performance wasn't out of this world and contrasting this with some of the over the top criticism [emoji38]

But of course you aren't an idiot so you know this.

Best player on the pitch last night

For us, definitely - thought Aluko was the standout player on both sides though, provided the cutting edge and unpredictability we were totally lacking.

Best player on the pitch last night

For us, definitely - thought Aluko was the standout player on both sides though, provided the cutting edge and unpredictability we were totally lacking.

Aluko was fucking shite, and he is fucking shite. His sister is genuinely a better player.

One of the few bright points last night. His game has a lot of energy and tempo, he just wants to get on with it. Will be so important for us going forward.

A fair few of our plays should observe how he plays and try to learn a thing or two. 

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160813/well-keep-working-hard-vows-matt_2281670_5803672?

Matt Ritchie says Newcastle United have "a lot to work on" ahead of Wednesday night's visit of Reading, after they were beaten 2-1 by Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

Substitute Jack Payne grabbed the winner for the Terriers, after Dwight Gayle had levelled the scores following Nakhi Wells' opener.

The result means the Magpies are yet to get off the mark in the Championship this season.

But Ritchie - who replaced Rolando Aarons at half time at St. James' Park - says that Rafa Benitez's side have got the "bit between their teeth" as attentions turn to the clash with Jaap Stam's Royals in midweek.

"I don't think we need to be too disappointed. It wasn't the result we were looking for, but there's a lot to work on and there's a lot to analyse, and we'll go again on Wednesday," he told nufc.co.uk.

"It's not the start we intended, but we'll work hard. I think it could be a blessing in disguise - we could look back on these two games and think they really made us, because we've got the bit between our teeth and we need to make sure that we really do continue to work hard, continue to get better and build relationships on the pitch.

"I think we'll be OK. Obviously it's been a tough start, but we've got another game on Wednesday, we'll go again, we'll work hard and we look forward to it.

"There's new players, a new team, and we need to make sure that we stick together with the fans. I just don't think there's any reason to panic.  We're a new team, we've got probably seven or eight new players in the door in the summer, so we just to relax, and we will get better, we will get stronger and we will start winning games."

Over 52,000 fans packed St. James' Park on Saturday, and Ritchie says that they'll need that outstanding support to help push them on this term.

The 26-year-old also welcomes Reading arrival on Tyneside on Wednesday, saying it gives United a chance to get back to winning ways.

"It's what we need. We need the fans behind us, and we need the fans to stay onside. I understand it's frustrating for them, but we will start winning games, I'm sure," he said.

"I'm not sure whether (Reading) getting beaten today has anything to do with it, but it's going to be a tough game. They're a good team, but I look forward to the game.

"That's the good thing about the Championship - games come in quick succession, and you can put your losses right."

Sensible Mad cunt.

Rafa Benitez admits that he did not want to risk Matt Ritchie during the 2-1 defeat against Huddersfield Town.

However, the Spaniard insists that something was “wrong” with Newcastle United’s attacking play and he had no option but to bring the winger on.

The 26-year-old Scotland international suffered a knock in training last week and sat out the last few sessions of the week, so Benitez did not start Ritchie against the Terriers.

Yet, with United trailing 1-0 at half-time and struggling to create clear-cut chances, Benitez insists he “had to” bring Ritchie on to the field in order to try and add greater invention and flair to Newcastle’s play.

Newcastle United's latest transfers

Sissoko latest

Knockaert latest

Latest on winger search

Galloway latest

Though Ritchie did improve Newcastle going forward, his introduction was still not enough to prevent the Magpies slipping to a second-successive defeat.

“He was stiff during the week and he was not training, but we put him on the bench just in case we needed him,” Benitez said of Ritchie’s absence from the starting line-up.

“In the end we had to play him.

“I am happy because he was good when he came on, but I’m disappointed because that was something we didn’t want to do. We didn’t want to take the risk.”

Thankfully, Ritchie did not appear to suffer any adverse effects from playing the second 45 minutes.

Benitez added: “He seems to be fine but it’s a pity because when you have to play a player when he has not trained during the week, it means something is wrong.