England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

that foden lad who plays for Man City is going to be a cracking midfielder

More excited about him than any of the others, he could be seriously special like. It's mad how the landscape of English football has changed overnight purely because Southgate's showing them a route through, he deserves so much credit for that.

More excited about him than any of the others, he could be seriously special like. It's mad how the landscape of English football has changed overnight purely because Southgate's showing them a route through, he deserves so much credit for that.

Mostly the work done at grassroots though no? What's Southgate got to do with Sancho and Foden?

These lads need first-team football though. Lookman needs to leave Everton imo.

Asking anyone to 'do a job' is the kind of backwards logic that ended up with Paul Scholes playing on the left wing. Pick players in roles they are suited to in a system that's design to get the best out of the collective group. Not bloody shoehorning. Thankfully Southgate seems to adopt the former approach.

Now I get this. Totally get it but I just think even as the deepest of a midfield three, Alli would offer more than Eric Dier. It's not completely shoehorning. It'll be a test for him. Unless he's willing to adapt to the team and learn the position, I wouldn't want him in the team. Even coming off the bench, what would he offer? Where would he play? We'd have to set the entire team around him even then. Would rather he learn the DM position rather than be used as a number 10 in a team where we have Kane, Rashford and Sterling who can play it better. Also Foden in the future.

In the summer, he played at the top of the midfield three and tbh, I barely saw him. We all kept saying he looked unfit. Aside from his goal vs Sweeden, he barely did a thing. He just ran around trying to get involved.

No because in the Spurs team, he has the ability to score and assist in advanced areas. They also play different. I'm not even sure Dier plays every game in that team. Honestly not sure Dier's a first team player. Thought he was more of a utility player like Phil Jones tbh. He plays as a CB, DM, anywhere in the back four or deep midfield. If Spurs signed a better advanced player than Alli, it'd make for an interesting experiment. Honestly don't think they should yet. He's got a special place in that Spurs team and it works for him.

Also I think Dier's good. He surprises me. But I have him down as the clogger type. Would like to see us have a more expansive style. If it's Dier's in that deep role, I can't see him having the same reaction time Alli would.

Spurs fans will know better. Hopefully leffe186[/member] can weigh in on this. Has Alli played deeper for Spurs? Do you think he could cut it there? What is Dier's place in the squad?

Guest firetotheworks

Mostly the work done at grassroots though no? What's Southgate got to do with Sancho and Foden?

These lads need first-team football though. Lookman needs to leave Everton imo.

The bit in bold already explained.

• 2 months later...

Can’t fault him too much.

He’s a kid so obviously will make mistakes and my “cunt” comment earlier was tongue in cheek but you can definitely fault him for completely denying that it was ever an option to switch when it first came up and kissing the badge when he has played for Ireland.

Will be interested to see how he does, personally think Grealish was/is a bigger loss as we’re so bad going forward