On this day...

Tooj

I was 9. All I can remember is standing on my bed singing Newcastle songs then doing a lap of the house when Bellamy scored that goal. It was quickly followed by my Mam saying if I don't shut up she will turn the TV off.

It's those little things that stick in the memory..  :smitten:

http://www.nufc.com/html/2015-16html/2015-11-21leicester-h.html

We lost to Leicester at home 0-3 in an utterly dire performance. Fans against each other, discontent, shite team, awful circumstances. Felt like Ashley was gonna be here until he died. 2 years on the club is now unrecognisable to what it was then. At least in some fashion. This takeover gets finished the Ashley years are probably going to be looked back on and recited as probably the worst period in this club's history. I wasn't around for the period 1988-1991 but surely the apathy and disgusting way the club has been run fans have had to endure under Ashley is worse?

Was only young when that debacle happened, but I remember the side shot of Allardyce on the TV when it was 0-3 towards the end of the game and the fans next to the dugout shouting deserved dog's abuse at the fat cunt.

Kinda shows how much Ashley has driven the fanbase into apathy in the past, the vitriol aimed at Allardyce and the atmosphere as a whole was utterly toxic, and the closest we've came to that is a dilute version in McClaren's final game v Bournemouth. Not the other Liverpool humiliations or mackem defeats.

Was only young when that debacle happened, but I remember the side shot of Allardyce on the TV when it was 0-3 towards the end of the game and the fans next to the dugout shouting deserved dog's abuse at the fat c***.

Kinda shows how much Ashley has driven the fanbase into apathy in the past, the vitriol aimed at Allardyce and the atmosphere as a whole was utterly toxic, and the closest we've came to that is a dilute version in McClaren's final game v Bournemouth. Not the other Liverpool humiliations or mackem defeats.

Ashley had only been there a few weeks man, we thought he was decent then ha

In his pre-match press conference, Benitez had repeated the phrase: "I am only focused on training and coaching my team" in response to virtually every question asked of him - a reference to his ongoing feud with the club's American owners.

They are reputed to have reminded him of the extent of his responsibilities using that terminology when Benitez sought assurances regarding the availability of transfer funds next January and the need to put deals in place now with agents ahead of the next opening of the transfer window.

:laugh:

Was only young when that debacle happened, but I remember the side shot of Allardyce on the TV when it was 0-3 towards the end of the game and the fans next to the dugout shouting deserved dog's abuse at the fat c***.

I think the point he’s making is ten years ago there was still a hell of a lot of passion within the fan base. Which now doesn’t exist to the same extent.

I remember the abuse Souness, Roeder and Allardyce and latterly Wise et al received because we knew we deserved better. You forget we were quite used to being half decent then.

So many of those Allardyce performances were turgid. Even the victories! My god, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Derby at home still invoke anger to this day :lol:

I think the point he’s making is ten years ago there was still a hell of a lot of passion within the fan base. Which now doesn’t exist to the same extent.

I remember the abuse Souness, Roeder and Allardyce and latterly Wise et al received because we knew we deserved better. You forget we were quite used to being half decent then.

So many of those Allardyce performances were turgid. Even the victories! My god, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Derby at home still invoke anger to this day :lol:

Yep, I couldn't believe the kind of apathetic passiveness we've had recently, especially during Pardews terrible runs, losing 6-0 to Liverpool, the mackems defeats etc. Games like when we lost to Sheff Utd under Roeder the crowd were so toxic, it was a horrible place to be, but there was a passion

• 1 month later...
Guest firetotheworks

Ah Christ. I'll never forget going into school that day and my teacher telling us. I think about three of us immediately burst into tears. :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Selling Cole was devastating and made all the more painful having to watch Kitson try to fill his boots for the rest of the season.

Guest firetotheworks

£7m

How much would we get for him today?

Around whatever Jaime Vardy is values at I guess.

Nearer Kane than Vardy. Cole was a more well-rounded player with a much better goal scoring record. Cole was also 23 at the time, whereas Vardy's 30.

Guest firetotheworks

Selling Cole was devastating and made all the more painful having to watch Kitson try to fill his boots for the rest of the season.

There was one miss in particular vs Nottingham Forest that I honestly couldn't believe he missed. Kitson probably wasn't that bad a player, but among that lot he stood out like a sore thumb as nowhere near good enough. We'd probably kill for a striker like him now. :lol: