Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 4 months later...

been out of the loop too long, i guess. so, i'm wondering what's with the 'cans' reference when it comes to the takeover?

Presume its just because the pubs aren't open so it has to be cans to celebrate

been out of the loop too long, i guess. so, i'm wondering what's with the 'cans' reference when it comes to the takeover?

Presume its just because the pubs aren't open so it has to be cans to celebrate

cheers! :thup:

• 2 months later...

Why are Real Madrid top of LaLiga when level in points with Barcelona, even though Barcelona have a better goal difference. Guessing La Liga goes by number of defeats first?

Think it goes off head-to-head with the team you're level on points with.

Guest neesy111

Why are Real Madrid top of LaLiga when level in points with Barcelona, even though Barcelona have a better goal difference. Guessing La Liga goes by number of defeats first?

Think it goes off head-to-head with the team you're level on points with.

Correct.

Guest chopey

My opinionated father in law with a view on everything just came in and saw me watching this Arsenal match and said "nee wonder football is knackered, look how many fans are in that stadium!!"

I'm astounded how many people in this country walk around with their head firmly buried in sand.

Guest neesy111

Hope you told him he was a thick fucking cunt and to leave you in peace while you watched the football. :thup:

That'll go down well with the in laws. :lol: :lol:

Why can you never get our 93-95 home shirt with player names and numbers on the back? Were they strictly for the players only due to the way they were printed? Just you can buy the blue and green change kits from that era with name and number prints but never the home kit.

Why can you never get our 93-95 home shirt with player names and numbers on the back? Were they strictly for the players only due to the way they were printed? Just you can buy the blue and green change kits from that era with name and number prints but never the home kit.

They're just pretty rare - Classicfootballshirts have had a few in the past. I guess people who own them don't want to sell and getting names and numbers on wasn't common. Remember a lad coming into school with Beardsley 8 on the 95-97 top and everyone being amazed by it/asking how and where.

There was this game where I think Steve McClaren was losing 3-0 at half-time, or something like that. It was a European game with Boro maybe. Anyway, he brought on three strikers and they drew or won, or something. And he was roundly praised. (What else was he going to do in that position?)

Does anyone know what game I'm on about, or have it made it up?

Talking to my eldest son about the importance of experience yesterday (particularly in relation to players playing in centre midfield and the risk of title chasers such as Man City playing someone like Foden week in, week out) and we got to discussing where 'experience' is slightly less important in title winning/chasing teams. We agreed that you're very unlikely to win the league without a very experienced CB in the team (VvD for example).

He then asked 'Dad, do you think Liverpool would've won the league if you replaced their full backs with ours?'.

My feeling was no because of the way they play/the set up.

Views?

There was this game where I think Steve McClaren was losing 3-0 at half-time, or something like that. It was a European game with Boro maybe. Anyway, he brought on three strikers and they drew or won, or something. And he was roundly praised. (What else was he going to do in that position?)

Wasn't it against Alaves?

Pretty sure he had at least two games that ended up 4-4 that he got to by throwing strikers on

My views are, how old is your son? The opening lines of that made it seem like a coming of age tale starring your eldest; the middle made me think he must be more-or-less an adult, then the curveball at the end where I'm picturing you both silhouetted on the brow of a hill, credits about to roll. Just totally lost.

Guest neesy111

Wasn't it against Alaves?

Pretty sure he had at least two games that ended up 4-4 that he got to by throwing strikers on

It was against FC Basel and then Steaua București.

The alaves was vs Liverpool in the UEFA cup final which Liverpool won 5-4 AET.

What's the biggest decline in a topflight teams position from 1 year to the next. Is it us is from 2nd to 13th, or did Leeds eclipse it from champions League to relegation? Don't recall if their drop was just over 1 season