Lee Charnley

Dave

This could work out. All the happiness regarding Charnley, is essentially people getting excited about the signings, and the idea that the team is now in good shape. Pardew will have nowhere to hide once he starts playing strikers out wide and wingers at full back, and we get a healthy tonking.

The virtual desperation by some fans to believe everything at SJP is now rosy is almost certainly fuelled by their desire to see justification for their retention of season tickets, despite all the evidence against....the club still has a proven failure(sacked by all previous employers)as manager, they have not spent any more than they raked in from sales and apart from the fact that the players coming in are all raw to the PL apart from Colback, there are glaring deficiencies at CB and CF.

The jury is well and truly out on the new season until at least 6 games have been played and if we are struggling after that, the fall of inflated expectations will be something to behold and instead of asking Pardew for a wave, his 'fans' will be waving at him...with 2 fingers only.

We shall see.

Since all we can judge Charnley on is the players that come in, it's fairly easy to argue he's done a good job. It doesn't mean he's a magnificent human or the regime in general isn't shit, but it is what it is. Most impartial observers think we've had a good window.

It's his job obviously, and he's doing no more than he should be, but even so someone who does their job must deserve a decent rating.

Guest neesy111

Since all we can judge Charnley on is the players that come in, it's fairly easy to argue he's done a good job. It doesn't mean he's a magnificent human or the regime in general isn't shit, but it is what it is. Most impartial observers think we've had a good window.

It's his job obviously, and he's doing no more than he should be, but even so someone who does their job must deserve a decent rating.

He was in charge last season of running the club, why didn't we sign any players then?

He was in charge last season of running the club, why didn't we sign any players then?

I don't know. Maybe his own incompetence, maybe Kinnear, maybe lack of funds from Ashley, maybe all of those. I think it's understandable that people  might judge his performance more favourably now the signings are arriving.

He's done the bare minimum considering the disgusting form for the second half of last season, the state of the manager and the players that have been sold, let go or been frozen out of the existing squad. We're still gambling massively in at least one key area, as per usual. And of course we've no idea how these new players will actually perform in the Premier League.

The real test is investing when the club isn't at risk of going backwards. It's too early to tell if he'll oversee that.

They have not spent any more than they raked in from sales

NUFC net spend since we sold Enrique is £37m.

Not suggesting £12m a season should be the extent of our ambition, but it's not the profiteering many seem to think is ongoing.

Guest neesy111

Not suggesting £12m a season should be the extent of our ambition, but it's not the profiteering many seem to think is ongoing.

What about the 35m we got before than though?

He's done the bare minimum considering the disgusting form for the second half of last season, the state of the manager and the players that have been sold, let go or been frozen out of the existing squad. We're still gambling massively in at least one key area, as per usual. And of course we've no idea how these new players will actually perform in the Premier League.

The real test is investing when the club isn't at risk of going backwards. It's too early to tell if he'll oversee that.

I agree to a certain extent. I wouldn't say he's doing the bare minimum, for me the bare minimum would have been the summer when we only signed Lee Bowyer, or shifting Santon to RB and playing Dummett every week instead of signing a quality replacement. Stuff like that.

I'm not saying I'm totally satisfied with our squad or we shouldn't be looking for more transfers, I was just responding to how people are judging Charnley's performance.

How many points did we get without Cabaye and/or Remy? 3? In about ten games or so?

Of course it's been the bare minimum, in fact since they were our two best players and neither has been replaced with proven quality, you could argue it's not even been that.

I'll be desperately disappointed if some discontent is not shown on Sunday. I just hope that all this new season optimism doesn't distract people from the same problems that havent just went away in 3 months.

If we can just have the Cardiff game from now until pardew leaves please.

I'll be desperately disappointed if some discontent is not shown on Sunday. I just hope that all this new season optimism doesn't distract people from the same problems that havent just went away in 3 months.

If we can just have the Cardiff game from now until pardew leaves please.

Doubt the £5 a ticket crowd are going to kick up much of a fuss in replacing the angry walkouts from Cardiff who've not renewed and vowed to never go back.

Also does that figure account for the £2.5m we've recieved for the Forster transfer?

If not, those two fee take us into cash positive.

It seems to me that the policy is to spend all transfer fees recieved and bank the other revenue income streams. Thus making a profit.

The virtual desperation by some fans to believe everything at SJP is now rosy is almost certainly fuelled by their desire to see justification for their retention of season tickets, despite all the evidence against....the club still has a proven failure(sacked by all previous employers)as manager, they have not spent any more than they raked in from sales and apart from the fact that the players coming in are all raw to the PL apart from Colback, there are glaring deficiencies at CB and CF.

The jury is well and truly out on the new season until at least 6 games have been played and if we are struggling after that, the fall of inflated expectations will be something to behold and instead of asking Pardew for a wave, his 'fans' will be waving at him...with 2 fingers only.

We shall see.

Hard to disagree with any of that. If we don't start well, it won't take long for the supporters to turn. For those old enough - remember the optimism we had at the start of 1988/89? :D

Guest firetotheworks

Well done on not being Joe Kinnear. Lets all have a sexy party. Ridiculous man. This is what it's come to, celebrating not being absolutely horrific at your job.

Genuinely loling at the selected cut off point for your net spend. Incredible.

Make that £70m with the other £35m we got for Zoggy, Shay, Martins, Duff, Beye and Bassong.

My point was to draw a line under the miserly Pre-Europa approach and look at the level of spendthriftery since.