General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

2 tactics questions that ties in to player recruitment...

- What would it take in terms of new players for us to be able to have a non super low possession team with a 3 man center back system, what formation and players do we need to do that? Keeping in mind we keep the best of what we have and upgrade?

- same question as above but what would it take to go back to a 4 man defense and who of the current crop would fit into The best one? What midfielders and players elsewhere stay on to make this work?

Have my own opinions but want to hear some from here.

Wolves play this weird kinda 3-4-3 that would work with our players imo. Good luck on getting Bruce to coach it though

Wolves have some top quality wing backs IMO and 2 central midfielders who are well rounded - box to box, pick a pass, killer ball, score goals. then of course 3 forwards who can do it all.

3-4-3

Dubvraka

Schar        Lascelles        Lejeune

New RWB    New CM  Longstaff    New LWB

Almiron*      Joelinton*      Saint-Max*

*depending on these 3 actually learning to score goals consistently, or it won't work.

4-2-3-1

Dubvraka

New RB    Schar/Lejeune    New CB/Lascelles    New LB

New CM/Longstaff    New CM

New RW/Joelinton      New 10/Almiron      Saint Maximin

New CF/Joelinton

xLiaaamx[/member]

I think our team lacks power and pace in many areas of the pitch. To your point, particularly in the spine - a proper box-to-box CM who doesn't just win the ball and pass it backwards like Hayden. Our fullbacks are really wingbacks, and when we move to a 4 man defense I think we will find them severely exposed. New fullbacks with pace, positioning and power.

Midfield is our major weakness, IMO.  I think our front 3 of Joe, Miggy and ASM would be more likely to succeed with a more consistent midfield pairing behind them.  Longstaff is never fully fit for extended periods.  Shelvey is only good for random wonder passes/shots, Hayden lacks tenacity and Matty is too young, tiny and inexperienced.  I'd sell Hayden and Shelvey and bring in an industrious forward thinking but defensively sound box to box guy and more athletic guy who can pull the strings.  The Longstaffs are more suitable to deputy duties, IMO. 

The key being that this new midfield two would start a majority of the games together and bring more consistency to the middle of the pitch.  A strong consistent midfield would make the whole team look better.

:thup:

I think it's quite clear we need 2-3 dynamic center midfielders capable of doing the business on both ends of the pitch.

That’s really not easy to get

Would argue another winger and a new striker would be easier and make more impact

Watching the Leeds documentary now. Jealous to see how the people at the top care about their club. To the point of being in tears at not being able to sign players.

The Man City one is gutting as well, they’re so professional and desperate for success. It’s appalling to watch.

Not sure what thread to start this in, but there will be a load of 20 years since... bullshit going on over the next few days. For me though it's 25 years since:

Sale of Andy Cole

The summer of Ferdinand, Ginola, Barton, Hislop

Quarter of a fucking century since it seemed like we were going to be the real deal. Does not feel that long ago.

It's also 25 years since the Blur vs Oasis battle

The Cole sale day was so dramatic, stopped my school classes to listen to it :lol:

I was 14 and remember my Dad telling me. I can't see something being as dramatic in football transfers again, simply as social media and 24 hour rumours etc take the surprise element away. The first people will have heard of this would have been a Metro Radio news bulletin or maybe even walking past a Chronical seller

The Cole sale day was so dramatic, stopped my school classes to listen to it :lol:

I was 14 and remember my Dad telling me. I can't see something being as dramatic in football transfers again, simply as social media and 24 hour rumours etc take the surprise element away. The first people will have heard of this would have been a Metro Radio news bulletin or maybe even walking past a Chronical seller

Same when we signed Shearer, Dad faxed me the page from the Chronicle :lol:

Same when we signed Shearer, Dad faxed me the page from the Chronicle :lol:

Radios and ceefax all the way

His 7/10 match ratings are probably the most talked about merit marks in club history,

:lol:

'I remember the days of winning the FA Cups in the fifties, the entertainers in the nineties or Bobby Robson's Champion's League journeys in the early 2000s.  But I tell you what, none of that can hold a candle to the succession of 7/10's Lee Ryder bestowed upon Paul Dummett under Mike Ashley's stewardship'

I was fishing in south shields early in the morning when we signed Shearer, some random bloke driving past slowed down, wound his window down and shouted over at us "the toons just signed Shearer for £15m!!!" :lol:

:lol:

I really miss this club pre Ashley man.  :'(