Newcastle United 1-0 Blackburn Rovers - 15/09/2020

joeyt

Will Bruce play his strongest side or will he rotate the squad?

I can't imagine Carroll will be able to play again so soon.

Gillespie, Ritchie, Krafth, Fraser were unused subs versus West Ham. Joelinton, S.Longstaff and Almiron came on. You'd imagine a few of them will start against Blackburn.

I wonder if any of the fringe players like Atsu, Murphy, Yedlin, etc will play? It would cup tie them which NUFC may not want to do if looking to move them on to English teams.

Fernandez and Lascelles will probably play again as the other centre backs aren't fit (apart from maybe Clark who was in the training pictures).

Guest Cheesy Beans

This could be a typical ‘Ashley era’ limp cup exit.

League Cup will be so far down the list of priorities for the top sides, it’d be a great year to give it a real go..

You want to be winning to keep the feel good factor. Even if he plays 2 or 3 of the current first team, a loss would effect them. It’s so stupid having cup games so early..

Play the strongest side and make subs once the job is done.

Blackburn are by no means a foregone conclusion though, anything other than full effort and we’re out, again.

i think we'll see plenty of changes,  with the short pre-season i think we'll use the game to get game time into players who didn't play on Saturday.  Can see us lining up something like this....

DARLOW

KRAFTH  LASCELLES  FERNANDEZ  LEWIS

HENDRICK    LONGSTAFF

FRASER      ALMIRON        RITCHIE

WILSON or JOELINTON

That should be strong enough to get past Blackburn. 

Guest Cheesy Beans

Gonna be on some streaming thing for an Ayrton. Details tomorrow from the club.

No idea who set the pricing for that but it’s way off.

£10 would have been enough to see this game live if it wasn’t behind closed doors, can’t imagine there would be a huge uptake at that price for a stream.

Would it be daft to claim they’d easily get 6 times as many viewers if they were charging lets say £2.00?

I hope this sort of this becomes allowed more often even if Newcastle's cup attitude makes it more difficult.

I fully expect the return of the 3PM Saturday blackout, but considering weekday cups struggle for all clubs, makes total sense to allow clubs to broadcast it themselves if they aren't on TV, lockdown or no.

i think we'll see plenty of changes,  with the short pre-season i think we'll use the game to get game time into players who didn't play on Saturday.  Can see us lining up something like this....

DARLOW

KRAFTH  LASCELLES  FERNANDEZ  LEWIS

HENDRICK    LONGSTAFF

FRASER      ALMIRON        RITCHIE

WILSON or JOELINTON

That should be strong enough to get past Blackburn. 

That's a pretty decent "reserve" lineup and is, as you say, enough to beat Blackburn (on paper, anyway...) Big Joe likely to start, and possibly Barlasar instead of Hendrick, but otherwise...

I’d start 5 of the outfield subs from West Ham and give Fraser 30 minutes or so. Think Darlow should stay in goal though, important he gets used to playing. Possibly play Hayden as a centre-back since we’ve only got two CBs fit at the minute.

Darlow

Krafth

Lewis

Hayden

Fernandez

S.Longstaff

Shelvey

Hendrick

Almiron

Joelinton

Wilson

Should see us through and you’d think Blackburn will do similar. We’ve then got a kind 3rd Round and a tough schedule in terms of shortened length of the season, so whoever’s played both on Saturday & Tuesday, rest them in the Third Round. Should be able to get to Round 4 using the squad.