Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Last season's squad was showing green shoots of promise but the only really positive addition is Rondon. Fernandez has started well but he's no better or worse than Lejeune. Ki is worse than Merino. Meanwhile, at least two of last season's best performers have massively regressed (Kenedy and Diame).

Then there's injuries, a rotten fixture list, another miserable cup exit, a squad that's starting to lose its fight and a smear campaign against the manager; all against the backdrop of a fanbase in revolt. Everything is horribly negative and it's all been caused by yet another appalling transfer window orchestrated by the incompetent board and their malevolent boss.

Everything added up and we've basically got a lot worse. It'll take either Rondon coming out firing or another shrewd January if we're to come anywhere close to the remarkable 10th-place finish of last season. A year in the bottom four or five seems a lot more likely at this point.

For me it feels like we're a club with no heart this season. Rafa will do his best but from the very top of the club the apathy, carelessness and vindictiveness is killing the team, killing any hope.

may be something in this i guess, last season was about exceeding expectations and so forth

this season we've deliberately had the chair kicked out from under us by ashley, has probably had an impact on everyone

Aye, last season was more of an unknown as we'd just come up (again) but actively sabotaging your own club this season really is peak Ashley, then again he's been doing it for years.

To me it is understandable why the players will be demoralised this season.  I guess everyone could see it happening apart from Ashley and his cronies.

They played their hearts out last season and got us to a decent position in the league.  Then what happens?  The players all come out asking for the manager to be backed.  Ashley won't do it because Rafa won't sign the contract because Ashley won't sanction improvements to the infrastructure.  The result being that he is only allowed to bring a player in if one leaves.  This leads to players like Ritchie and Gayle being unsettled because they don't want to leave and neither does Rafa want them to leave but he needs to improve the squad and is not allowed to add to it.  Hayden wants to leave - even does the decent thing and actually puts in a transfer request - but is not allowed to leave because Rafa knows he will not be able to afford anyone  better.  Then comes the annual dispute with players over bonuses - supposedly based on unattainable targets.

So why should the players feel motivated to repeat last season's efforts?  The owner clearly isn't interested or grateful for last season or even capable of comprehending what an enormous effort it was from everyone.  His attitude is if they finished 10th, then that cuts him some slack as they can afford to drop a few places.  He has no interest in rewarding them or motivating them to do better than last year.

And the players brought in?  All from relegated clubs or ones that were involved in relegation battles.

Along with the difficult start and the gradual realisation that this season is going to be even more of a struggle and certainly not one to enjoy - either by players or fans, then it is not hard to see why players are not performing to the same levels.  I am sure they are giving their all but will have been subconsciously affected by Ashley's decision making.

And Rafa's situation is probably the main issue.  The players have all bought into him but if he leaves, where does that leave them?  It has never worked when players know a manager is leaving and almost always, the manager does end up leaving before the end of the season.

So what happens next?  Palace and Leicester will be difficult, then it is Man Utd.  Where will we be then?  If Ashley wouldn't back Rafa with 12 months left on his contract why would he do it with 6 months left?  Does that mean he sacks Rafa?  I wouldn't be surprised if he is waiting for the opportunity just like he did with Hughton.  And no doubt the next manager will be given significant transfer funds as another kick in the teeth for Rafa with the underlying message that it was all Rafa's fault for not signing the contract.

Genuinley think Rafa could win us a trophy and we'd still have some fans saying "Yea but we were boring weren't we"

Were going to win fuck all - ever. This I (and many other NUFC supporters i'd guess....) have accepted. So, a bit entertainment now and again shouldn't be too much to ask.

I wonder if we are seeing players not happy with the style they are being asked to play? Our captain was dropped (ankle injury...hmmm) for a disagreement apparently.

Maybe there are some players who would prefer us to push forward more, but we have generally defended fairly well this season so they are putting the effort in. The problem is we can't pass the ball out when we have possession, I think that's just down to a lot of players not being very good, not so much that they feel a bit down.

Last season's squad was showing green shoots of promise but the only really positive addition is Rondon. Fernandez has started well but he's no better or worse than Lejeune. Ki is worse than Merino. Meanwhile, at least two of last season's best performers have massively regressed (Kenedy and Diame).

Yes but it's not like we have sold Lejeune, we have added Fernandez to an already strong area meaning we are certainly stronger there. Fernandez is an upgrade on Mbemba in this league for sure.

Also think it's unfair to say Kenedy has regressed, we're only 5 games in.

Yes but it's not like we have sold Lejeune, we have added Fernandez to an already strong area meaning we are certainly stronger there. Fernandez is an upgrade on Mbemba in this league for sure.

problem with the mbemba/fernandez swap is that mbemba could actually do a decent job at FB as well and i'd have had him in the team ahead of manquillo every day of the week

Fair. :thup: I wrote squad where I meant first team.

In which case I'd agree. Although it's a good job we got Fernandez with Lejeune being injured, otherwise we would be significantly weaker there until his return. We certainly didn't do enough in the transfer window, not even close; but I personally don't think it was horrendous (not saying you do, like). I think we're stronger, just about.

problem with the mbemba/fernandez swap is that mbemba could actually do a decent job at FB as well and i'd have had him in the team ahead of manquillo every day of the week

I really like Fernandez, he's not only a proper defender who does the dirty work well, he showed some nice touches going forward as well when we were chasing the game. That cross was a belter, shows what we are missing by not having quality full backs.

We are stronger in terms of squad depth but our starting eleven is more or less the same.

Is it though? We've replaced Mbemba with someone I'd have thought would at least replace Clark as 3rd choice yet we've still started Clark for the majority of the season over Schar, Ki isn't as good as Merino imo, and I don't care whether Mitrovic was suited to Benitez's game or not, I don't think we've got any strikers on the books better than him. We don't have a single back-up left-back (not even a Gamez or Haidara) either.

For me it feels like we're a club with no heart this season. Rafa will do his best but from the very top of the club the apathy, carelessness and vindictiveness is killing the team, killing any hope.

may be something in this i guess, last season was about exceeding expectations and so forth

this season we've deliberately had the chair kicked out from under us by ashley, has probably had an impact on everyone

Aye, last season was more of an unknown as we'd just come up (again) but actively sabotaging your own club this season really is peak Ashley, then again he's been doing it for years.

To me it is understandable why the players will be demoralised this season.  I guess everyone could see it happening apart from Ashley and his cronies.

They played their hearts out last season and got us to a decent position in the league.  Then what happens?  The players all come out asking for the manager to be backed.  Ashley won't do it because Rafa won't sign the contract because Ashley won't sanction improvements to the infrastructure.  The result being that he is only allowed to bring a player in if one leaves.  This leads to players like Ritchie and Gayle being unsettled because they don't want to leave and neither does Rafa want them to leave but he needs to improve the squad and is not allowed to add to it.  Hayden wants to leave - even does the decent thing and actually puts in a transfer request - but is not allowed to leave because Rafa knows he will not be able to afford anyone  better.  Then comes the annual dispute with players over bonuses - supposedly based on unattainable targets.

So why should the players feel motivated to repeat last season's efforts?  The owner clearly isn't interested or grateful for last season or even capable of comprehending what an enormous effort it was from everyone.  His attitude is if they finished 10th, then that cuts him some slack as they can afford to drop a few places.  He has no interest in rewarding them or motivating them to do better than last year.

And the players brought in?  All from relegated clubs or ones that were involved in relegation battles.

Along with the difficult start and the gradual realisation that this season is going to be even more of a struggle and certainly not one to enjoy - either by players or fans, then it is not hard to see why players are not performing to the same levels.  I am sure they are giving their all but will have been subconsciously affected by Ashley's decision making.

And Rafa's situation is probably the main issue.  The players have all bought into him but if he leaves, where does that leave them?  It has never worked when players know a manager is leaving and almost always, the manager does end up leaving before the end of the season.

So what happens next?  Palace and Leicester will be difficult, then it is Man Utd.  Where will we be then?  If Ashley wouldn't back Rafa with 12 months left on his contract why would he do it with 6 months left?  Does that mean he sacks Rafa?  I wouldn't be surprised if he is waiting for the opportunity just like he did with Hughton.  And no doubt the next manager will be given significant transfer funds as another kick in the teeth for Rafa with the underlying message that it was all Rafa's fault for not signing the contract.

Very well made points, in particular about why the players are down and struggling to hit last years highs.

If Rafa doesn't want to play a player, you should take him away from the equation. Aarons, Mitrovic, Lazaar, Mbemba, in a way Gamaz etc. So in this perspective the number of players that we "would" and "could" play definitely improves.

Our squad massively overachieved last season imo. Merino didn't play much in our 2nd half of the season and it's Shelvey Diame and Perez trio that really shined in our midfield.

I ain't that concerned about the results so far.  Any point is a bonus. What I concern is the signings.  I don't understand why but it seems Rafa doesn't trust them.

Guest neesy111

If Rafa doesn't want to play a player, you should take him away from the equation. Aarons, Mitrovic, Lazaar, Mbemba, in a way Gamaz etc. So in this perspective the number of players that we "would" and "could" play definitely improves.

Our squad massively overachieved last season imo. Merino didn't play much in our 2nd half of the season and it's Shelvey Diame and Perez trio that really shined in our midfield.

I ain't that concerned about the results so far.  Any point is a bonus. What I concern is the signings.  I don't understand why but it seems Rafa doesn't trust them.

Probably because most were 4th to 5th choices.

I thought Rafa has said he felt some of the new signings needed time to adapt or get fit and thats why they are being eased in. I dont believe its a trust thing.

It's nearly two months into the season now, you would like to think someone like Muto can offer a bit more than Perez or Joselu. They might press the defenders as per Rafa's instructions, but they just don't offer enough threat in the penalty area.

I thought Rafa has said he felt some of the new signings needed time to adapt or get fit and thats why they are being eased in. I dont believe its a trust thing.

It's nearly two months into the season now, you would like to think someone like Muto can offer a bit more than Perez or Joselu. They might press the defenders as per Rafa's instructions, but they just don't offer enough threat in the penalty area.

Bearing in mind most of them didn't really get a pre-season with us it doesn't surprise me in the least. They may be better players who can offer more individually but Rafa's all about the collective. He probably wants to have coached them for longer, hence all his comments at the beginning of the window about getting players in ASAP.

Surely it's better to not sign them then and not get judged on them as your signings? That's what my dad keeps saying when I'm on about Ashley. Just keeps saying he's right not to trust Rafa with money even though I point out they aren't his choices he just says don't sign them then

Surely it's better to not sign them then and not get judged on them as your signings? That's what my dad keeps saying when I'm on about Ashley. Just keeps saying he's right not to trust Rafa with money even though I point out they aren't his choices he just says don't sign them then

Well at least now we know where you get it from.

Don’t disagree at all that Rafa “doesnt care” which I’ve seen in some prior posts. He’s committed as ever to succeeded at his job. Whatever it is.

He def made some mistakes in team selection IMO.

But then again our fixture list is redic, 2-1 losses to spurs, Chelsea, city and arsenal.

Great post, absolutely nailed it.