Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I think SL could learn a bit from watching Hendrick.  Hendrick does a good job finding space between the lines and that would serve Longstaff well.  I just don't see him as a regular 10.  Pair him with Hayden in a holding role but let him get forward a little bit and then arrive at  the box for a longshot option.

Sean looked every bit a rising star under Rafa. And no doubt he’d be looking that exact player if Rafa were still here.

I dunno. A lot of the things he did during his good spell was individual moments of brilliance, things that shouldn't necessarily be reliant on a specific system. Search "This is Why Manchester United Needs Sean Longstaff !" on youtube. He tried and did things he simply doesn't do anymore, and he looks in better shape/sharper then than he does now. To me it seems like it was either a purple patch, or his injury has affected him a lot and hasn't gotten back to the physical shape he was in back then.

It was so much fun watching him. The "old" Longstaff did everything. Was good in the tackle, could spray the ball around just as good as Shelvey, was really good at creating space for himself under pressure in order to pass the ball, had a mean shot, excellent crossing technique. I don't see how these things can get so much worse just because he plays in a less structured team.

At times during that spell he looked a complete natural. It was all so instinctive, which is really what you want, but those players struggle to thrive if the team isn't set up to capitalise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What’s the forum thoughts on this lad?

He was absolutely shit in the first half yesterday. Slow, safe passes, dispossessed, bullied by their cm, bottled a header. Second half he played a couple of nice cross field balls and went on that good driving run through the middle and I remembered  that was what he was about under Rafa. He pressed high, made those leggy runs through the middle of the pitch.

Is it a coaching thing? Confidence? Or he just a bit short of what you need at this level?

Coaching. He looked genuinely capable of being a top CM before getting hurt and under Rafa’s guidance.

Yeah I think this is the case. He strikes me as a lad that with right mentoring is a great learner, and follows guidance very well. No surprise Rafa had him playing his best, fast forward to now and all this time under Bruce and he's not developed, he's gone backwards.

What’s the forum thoughts on this lad?

He was absolutely shit in the first half yesterday. Slow, safe passes, dispossessed, bullied by their cm, bottled a header. Second half he played a couple of nice cross field balls and went on that good driving run through the middle and I remembered  that was what he was about under Rafa. He pressed high, made those leggy runs through the middle of the pitch.

Is it a coaching thing? Confidence? Or he just a bit short of what you need at this level?

I fell asleep in the first half and barely watched any of it while I was awake, so my opinion that I didn't even realise he was playing is useless.

I did see a close up of Hendrick, at a corner I think. Did we have any 1st half corners?