Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Bruce will have no idea where to play him, so it's "centre midfield please Sean" as an instruction. He then has to work out for himself what his role is.

You could tell that Rafa was very specific with how/where Longstaff should play. Now he looks completely confused.

He needs a very good manager otherwise his career is done.

Bruce will have no idea where to play him, so it's "centre midfield please Sean" as an instruction. He then has to work out for himself what his role is.

You could tell that Rafa was very specific with how/where Longstaff should play. Now he looks completely confused.

Exactly this.

Where should he play then?

Number 10 role?

Number 10 role?

So if our strongest team, has Longstaff there, who do you leave out if we play 4-2-3-1. ASM, Fraser, Almiron?

I think he's much better in front of the midfield, but as to where he should play in our current team, under this manager, I'm not sure, as there are better options already.

Number 10 role?

So if our strongest team, has Longstaff there, who do you leave out if we play 4-2-3-1. ASM, Fraser, Almiron?

I think with fixture congestion, he'd still get 20 games plus in that role, in my opinion.

He looked really rusty last night, although he was hardly alone in that. No one really looked like they knew what they were doing. If there was a gameplan it must have been let Blackburn have the ball and defend for your lives.

He looked really rusty last night, although he was hardly alone in that. No one really looked like they knew what they were doing. If there was a gameplan it must have been let Blackburn have the ball and defend for your lives.

Isn't that Brewcies standard plan for whoever were playing?

Ah, so he's not being put in a position to succeed. Interesting isn't it.

This guy is done here. In just a year, he's gone from looking an exciting prospect under a quality manager, to looking like a midfielder that offers nothing under Bruce almighty.

It's incredible.

This guy is done here. In just a year, he's gone from looking an exciting prospect under a quality manager, to looking like a midfielder that offers nothing under Bruce almighty.

Bit of an over exaggeration.

He's trying to defend Joelinton based on it. The difference being Sean has already shown us, here, at this club, with mostly the same players, that he does have quality.

KaKa[/member] You seem to fail to understand my point - I have absolutely nothing against Joelinton, but he shouldn't be in the team. I really hope he flourishes wherever he plays, but it ain't happening. It's not personal to him, or to you. I hope one day he rediscovers the magic he obviously had when our scouts watched him, but until he does, he's a waste of a shirt and a salary here.

Bit of an over exaggeration.

He's trying to defend Joelinton based on it. The difference being Sean has already shown us, here, at this club, with mostly the same players, that he does have quality.

KaKa[/member] You seem to fail to understand my point - I have absolutely nothing against Joelinton, but he shouldn't be in the team. I really hope he flourishes wherever he plays, but it ain't happening. It's not personal to him, or to you. I hope one day he rediscovers the magic he obviously had when our scouts watched him, but until he does, he's a waste of a shirt and a salary here.

Fair enough man. It's just a discussion we're having on a difference of opinion.

Both players had a better team and manager the year before and clearly looked far better players.

I 100% agree on Joelinton that the club should look to move him on because it's a rough situation and at this point he's completely ineffective.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-lays-down-gauntlet-18941742

Bruce said:

"Sean is in the last two years of his contract – we all know what capabilities he's got he's got to show it more often and more regularly. I'm sure tonight he'll be a bit disappointed with how he's played, but we've got to make sure that we try to get him to maybe where he was. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's got healthy competition around him and as I said, he was another one who needed a game tonight and I think that showed. Certainly his best games for me last season were when he played off the front, number 10, at Bournemouth away and West Brom in the cup certainly in a more forward position. I played him in the centre of the midfield (vs Blackburn) in a two. Look, certainly he's a midfield player, but probably his best position maybe in the number 10 role.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-lays-down-gauntlet-18941742

Bruce said:

"Sean is in the last two years of his contract – we all know what capabilities he's got he's got to show it more often and more regularly. I'm sure tonight he'll be a bit disappointed with how he's played, but we've got to make sure that we try to get him to maybe where he was. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's got healthy competition around him and as I said, he was another one who needed a game tonight and I think that showed. Certainly his best games for me last season were when he played off the front, number 10, at Bournemouth away and West Brom in the cup certainly in a more forward position. I played him in the centre of the midfield (vs Blackburn) in a two. Look, certainly he's a midfield player, but probably his best position maybe in the number 10 role.

Shit. I'm agreeing with Bruce. Fuck.

I still think he’s better in a holding type role or more specifically how Shelvey plays but he’s more mobile. I don’t think he’s got the clever passes or movement to be a 10. To use everyone’s cliche comparison he looked a lot like a young Carrick.

Wolves away under Rafa seemed to be where he looked his best if my memory is correct. He looked really composed in that role and pressed well in Rafa’s system.

I’m a bit worried he won’t cut it now though.

Bruce said:

Shit. I'm agreeing with Bruce. Fuck.

I think number 10 is probably his best position tbh. Getting around the edge of the box/into box for cut backs from the wing, he can be dangerous.

Personally, I think ASM, Almiron, Fraser are my 3 behind Wilson, but I think Longstaff should defo get game time in number 10 position when possible.

I still think he’s better in a holding type role or more specifically how Shelvey plays but he’s more mobile. I don’t think he’s got the clever passes or movement to be a 10. To use everyone’s cliche comparison he looked a lot like a young Carrick.

Wolves away under Rafa seemed to be where he looked his best if my memory is correct. He looked really composed in that role and pressed well in Rafa’s system.

I’m a bit worried he won’t cut it now though.

That's what I find perplexing tbh, when he burst onto the scene, it almost looked like he had everything. Composure, bit of strength, and a decent enough passer. He should be ideal to play centre midfield regardless of the formation. Only thing which comes to mind is that maybe he needs a team with a bit of rhythm and direction, which you definitely got under Rafa. With Bruce it's still defensive, but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan to transition the ball forward, so everyone is just doing their own thing, and invariably when you've got bad footballers like Krafth, that means hoofing it, or passes which put team mates under pressure.

If we're going to get the best out of Longstaff as a CM he needs to play with Hayden; he probably needs to not be relied on for the aggressive long passes that Shelvey/Schar are used to doing. As a 10 or advanced CM he's a really striker of the ball and would expect him to get goals.

his good spell came in rafa's best period when the style of play changed not long after ki was injured that season - he was playing quite advanced but was well supported by the players around him at the time as everything had started clicking with Schar/Lejeune dictating play from the back freeing other players to get further forward

so tiring seeing the same arguments year after year that the players should just suddenly be better totally in isolation from what's going on around them :lol:

under bruce we have and probably always will play with a huge gap between defence/midfield and attack...that's gonna lead to wild variations in performance in both the team and players, it clearly doesn't suit longstaff

Sean looked every bit a rising star under Rafa. And no doubt he’d be looking that exact player if Rafa were still here.

I dunno. A lot of the things he did during his good spell was individual moments of brilliance, things that shouldn't necessarily be reliant on a specific system. Search "This is Why Manchester United Needs Sean Longstaff !" on youtube. He tried and did things he simply doesn't do anymore, and he looks in better shape/sharper then than he does now. To me it seems like it was either a purple patch, or his injury has affected him a lot and hasn't gotten back to the physical shape he was in back then.

It was so much fun watching him. The "old" Longstaff did everything. Was good in the tackle, could spray the ball around just as good as Shelvey, was really good at creating space for himself under pressure in order to pass the ball, had a mean shot, excellent crossing technique. I don't see how these things can get so much worse just because he plays in a less structured team.