Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

If he's signing a new deal, I'm presuming the club have provided him with a convincing development pathway

He should be loaned out to a Championship side for the season in any case

Championship regular is the plan for next season mate, not this.

True enough mate, but at least he'll have that championship experience for when we need it  :D

In any case, I like Matty Longstaff, but he's way too raw for the Premier League, I would speculate that the reason many fans were demanding him starting more, was because of how utterly abject Bentaleb and Schar were in midfield.

Figuring out how to make Sean Longstaff and Shelvey work as our main pair is really the best way forward. Hayden as a defensive option in scenarios and Matty as a spell to Sean or Jonjo makes sense to me as well.

Sean looked better further forward in a more attacking role but also Miggy looks better there. Just cant see him working with shelvey as he would end up doing the defensive work.

This.  Sean has always had his best displays for us when he has been given the no 10 role

Sean looked better further forward in a more attacking role but also Miggy looks better there. Just cant see him working with shelvey as he would end up doing the defensive work.

This.  Sean has always had his best displays for us when he has been given the no 10 role

I disagree here. I think Sean is perfect for the holding type role picking passes like where he excelled under Rafa. Bruce pushed him further forward and he didn’t look like he had the attributes for it to me, he looked awkward. I know he got a couple of goals in the cup and played well there away to Bournemouth but it’s the Carrick comparisons that got people excited for his future.

Guest reefatoon

I disagree here. I think Sean is perfect for the holding type role picking passes like where he excelled under Rafa. Bruce pushed him further forward and he didn’t look like he had the attributes for it to me, he looked awkward. I know he got a couple of goals in the cup and played well there away to Bournemouth but it’s the Carrick comparisons that got people excited for his future.

Don't really agree with that. He played his best football under Rafa alongside Ki, and it was Ki who sat the deeper of the two. The best part of Longstaff's game is when he gets into the final third and think he could be so much more for us pushed further up.

Don't really agree with that. He played his best football under Rafa alongside Ki, and it was Ki who sat the deeper of the two. The best part of Longstaff's game is when he gets into the final third and think he could be so much more for us pushed further up.

It was those timed driving runs from deep though that he couldn’t recreate in the 10 position Bruce was playing him in.

Like a new signing he will be one of the four new bodies bacon boy mentioned no doubt. He’s not even that good is he? Probably turn out to be a decent enough champo level player

I quite like him as a player tbh. He gets around the pitch, gets himself into decent positions and got a goal or two in him.

• 5 weeks later...