Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

• 2 weeks later...

Sean is clearly significantly more gifted. Matty will have a Colback-esque career (which sounds inflammatory at this point but is inevitable).

He's a lot more positive than Colback and he doesn't hide from the ball. But physique wise, yes he will have the same limitations.

Tbf neither Longstaff look like they will good enough to have a long PL career, both probably end up in the FL, fans always get carried away with the hype of young players after one or two decent appearances

Both Longstaffs had this annoying habit this weekend of passing the ball backwards when they received the ball with their back to goal even though they had time to turn around and look for more positive options.

Besides that, and one awful pass by Matty in transition that could have lead to a good opportunity, I didn't see much wrong with either of their performances. Matty is clearly the pressing one while Sean is covering. Both did well imo with some really nice play a couple of times. Sean has struggled with the tempo of matches so far this season but felt he had a bit more spark about him, a bit more rapid more like what we saw last season so I hope it has just been a matter of getting back to form after his injury.

Guest reefatoon

The poor lad is going to get destroyed by Bruce. He shouldn't be starting every game and be eased in and nurtured, not have a useless manager hoying you out there hoping he save his job single handed. He doesn't stand a chance.

The poor lad is going to get destroyed by Bruce. He shouldn't be starting every game and be eased in and nurtured, not have a useless manager hoying you out there hoping he save his job single handed. He doesn't stand a chance.

His brother has probably ensured he gets another 3 games anyway.

I think they are pretty similar players, but I also think they should work well in Rafas system since they seem to be decent all-rounders, being able to support an attack, play a killer pass, have a decent shot in them, press the ball and fall back. As long as they have a good understanding of covering each other I don't see what the issue with them being similar is.

I think they are pretty similar players, but I also think they should work well in Rafas system since they seem to be decent all-rounders, being able to support an attack, play a killer pass, have a decent shot in them, press the ball and fall back. As long as they have a good understanding of covering each other I don't see what the issue with them being similar is.

They aren't similar in stature as I mentioned before. That does make a difference in covering the ground, especially when pressing the ball which you have mentioned there. With Matty being smaller and having a shorter stride, he would need to be a bit quicker to make him an effective presser of the ball IMO. I think he has the same problem Colback did in this regard, for the same reasons. Better suited to us sitting deep, but that means he's not going to be getting forward as much to support the strikers.

Guest Howaythetoon

Actually tried to watch the game at the weekend as the 5 year old was excited for the Liverpool match (how sad is that by the way) and from what I saw of the two brothers they are both neat and tidy, can mix it up physically, and obviously have talent, but there is not much attacking creativity between the two and any midfield needs that, it’s what Liverpool lacks and they are a great team. I feel they are the kind of players whose games will be better nurtured under someone like a Rafa tactically than under Bruce who will have them just putting a shift in which will see that they develop more into hard working neat and tidy clogger type players than anything else. There needs to be some attacking creativity in there (central midfield) and neither have that kind of instinct for me. Early days and it’s good they are getting games together and looking at least capable at this level, although this level can only really be considered standard wise based on the level of the team/position etc.

Actually tried to watch the game at the weekend as the 5 year old was excited for the Liverpool match (how sad is that by the way) and from what I saw of the two brothers they are both neat and tidy, can mix it up physically, and obviously have talent, but there is not much attacking creativity between the two and any midfield needs that, it’s what Liverpool lacks and they are a great team. I feel they are the kind of players whose games will be better nurtured under someone like a Rafa tactically than under Bruce who will have them just putting a shift in which will see that they develop more into hard working neat and tidy clogger type players than anything else. There needs to be some attacking creativity in there (central midfield) and neither have that kind of instinct for me. Early days and it’s good they are getting games together and looking at least capable at this level, although this level can only really be considered standard wise based on the level of the team/position etc.

This is a bold take.

I've been happy with their attacking/creating play in any case, both can play a killer pass.

Guest Howaythetoon

This is a bold take.

I've been happy with their attacking/creating play in any case, both can play a killer pass.

They can pass, but so can a lot of players these days who have similar games in that area of the park, but lack attacking creativity going forwards in terms of flair, drive and instinct. See Jordan Henderson, the fella at Man Utd, Rice et al. Under a Rafa I feel that area of the older brother’s game especially wouldn’t curtail him too much as tactically and positionally I think he’d develop into a more deeper lying playmaker/Carrick type. Under Bruce his and others’ attacking/creative shortcomings will be highlighted more and eventually the good sides of their game dismissed more as they chase balls, throw themselves into tackles and look long. I hope I’m wrong of course, as they are both talented, but alongside each other without creative player in there the midfield will always lack something going forwards.

What is being 'creative' anyway? A midfielder who can press effectively then move the ball on intelligently is miles better for me than someone like Shelvey who is a passenger but can ping the odd lovely 60 yd ball. I think both the Longstaffs use the ball pretty well and keep the game moving. But I think Matty is physically limited in his pressing because of his lack of pace.

Guest Howaythetoon

What is being 'creative' anyway? A midfielder who can press effectively then move the ball on intelligently is miles better for me than someone like Shelvey who is a passenger but can ping the odd lovely 60 yd ball. I think both the Longstaffs use the ball pretty well and keep the game moving. But I think Matty is physically limited in his pressing because of his lack of pace.

Someone, for me anyway, who can play quick forward attacking football at a high tempo further up the pitch in a way that dovetails the forwards. An Oxlaide Chamberlain to a Henderson or a Cabaye to a Shelvey... or a Longstaff.

Regardless, the team needs that kind of attacking play in midfield, under Rafa the team could kind of get away with it, under Bruce without such a player you’re left with players having to try and do it on their own, Almiron or the Gucci kid for example, while the Longstaffs huff and puff around in front of the back four like puppies chasing their own tail...

I’m obviously more concerned about this area or lack of their game more so being managed by Bruce in a Bruce team!