South American football

Flip

If we are going to have an american one we'll have a South American too where me and Disco can talk to ourselves :p

Anyways, interesting stuff reading this morning. Ramires wife have gone raging on instagram calling the Brazilian national team a mafia for not selecting him to play the Confederations Cup while news has come out that Willian (ex- Shaktar now Anzhi) father paid some marketing group around £30k in 2011 to get Willian to get called up for the national team in the hope of helping with a move to England. Finally Teixeira the big thief is out and I really hope the new CBF president isn't as big of a thief, but knowing politicians in Brazil he might as well be.

In other news Copa Libertadores last 16 being played and Mexican team Tijuana sent out Palmeiras (last years Brazilian Wigan). I'd suggest people read about Tijuana a bit, their owner is a mad rich man who bought the club 10 years ago or so and changed it's name and location and won the Mexican league last year. He has a special affection for animals and was caught trying to get into Mexico with a white leopard or tiger or w/e animal it was and I think he owns something like 20,000 exotic animals and have 19 children with different women.

Ronaldinho and co. stuffed Sao Paulo and are through while current Champions Corinthians are down 1-0 after first game in Argentina against Boca Juniors. Some Peruvian team have made it to the quarterfinals on penalties against Nacional from Uruguay (where Loco Abreu plays).

Guest Roger Kint

Love hearing stories of the mad things that go on over there. Tim Vickery has a 10 minute segment on radio every Wednesday which i always try and catch to hear what things are happening and any news on decent players. He was drooling over the young Columbian CB at Independiente(i think) who is already getting rave reviews after about 5 games.

Some Peruvian team have made it to the quarterfinals on penalties against Nacional from Uruguay (where Loco Abreu plays).

Real Garcilaso, been in existence since July 28, 2009. They're are one of four teams in the Peruvian top flight founded since 2000 which is utter madness. They play in Cuzco which gives them a massive advantage in home games due to the altitude.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=2076318.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_caption

Unbelievably after tonight there could well be more Argentine teams left in the Copa than Brazilian ones which would be a massive turn up for the books given the financial disparity and depth between the two leagues. Fancy Atlético Mineiro to win it though.

Some Peruvian team have made it to the quarterfinals on penalties against Nacional from Uruguay (where Loco Abreu plays).

Real Garcilaso, been in existence since July 28, 2009. They're are one of four teams in the Peruvian top flight founded since 2000 which is utter madness. They play in Cuzco which gives them a massive advantage in home games due to the altitude.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=2076318.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_caption

Unbelievably after tonight there could well be more Argentine teams left in the Copa than Brazilian ones which would be a massive turn up for the books given the financial disparity and depth between the two leagues. Fancy Atlético Mineiro to win it though.

That's amazing, haven't read or cared for the peruvian league so that's interesting to hear. As for the Copa, I can see it being 3 teams from each country, but no way Gremio doesn't go through with Fluminense and Atletico Mineiro. I actually think if Corinthians go past Boca, they'll probably win it. They're for me the best (unbiased here :lol:) team with the most organized team. Guerrero and Paulinho are a bit too good for South America at the moment.

What's the Colombian league like these days?

I'd say it's =3rd best in South America with Chile but has a bit more depth than they and Uruguay do but I think that's always going to be the case with a lot of SA countries being very capital city / big clubs from there focused whereas Colombia has a lot of big cities with famous clubs.

Corinthians - Boca Juniors tonight think it's 2am British time. Replay of the final from last year except this time Corinthians lost the away game. Atmosphere will be massive and if anyone is awake it's worth the watch to see two of the biggest clubs in South America playing for a quarter final place. Corinthians is on verge of winning Sao Paulo regionals after beating Santos 2-1 in the first game while Boca is in the complete opposite side in the Argentinian league as they're in the relegation zone after 13 games with only 10 points having only won once.

Also Arena Corinthians is looking very slow to build and Valcke and FIFA are threatening to take it off the list as a World Cup stadium which obviously won't happen as Sao Paulo is Brazils largest city and also the fact that it's 76% complete and started being built a year after the others. It does look impressive and their big screen is going to be the largest screen in a sports venue in the world. 3x better image and almost twice the size as the Cowboys Stadium screen. (the screen looks like it will be on the outside on the entire wall of the eastern section) I wonder if fans will be able to watch the game through there?

In other news Copa Libertadores last 16 being played and Mexican team Tijuana sent out Palmeiras (last years Brazilian Wigan).

I watched the game highlights.....awful mistake from the Palmeiras keeper.

:lol: It was terrible. Bruno their goalkeeper has apparently been playing well of late too and the fans were starting to love him, we'll see what their opinion is of him now.

Corinthians - Boca Juniors tonight think it's 2am British time. Replay of the final from last year except this time Corinthians lost the away game. Atmosphere will be massive and if anyone is awake it's worth the watch to see two of the biggest clubs in South America playing for a quarter final place. Corinthians is on verge of winning Sao Paulo regionals after beating Santos 2-1 in the first game while Boca is in the complete opposite side in the Argentinian league as they're in the relegation zone after 13 games with only 10 points having only won once.

Also Arena Corinthians is looking very slow to build and Valcke and FIFA are threatening to take it off the list as a World Cup stadium which obviously won't happen as Sao Paulo is Brazils largest city and also the fact that it's 76% complete and started being built a year after the others. It does look impressive and their big screen is going to be the largest screen in a sports venue in the world. 3x better image and almost twice the size as the Cowboys Stadium screen. (the screen looks like it will be on the outside on the entire wall of the eastern section) I wonder if fans will be able to watch the game through there?

They're just in hugely shit form, complicated relegation system sees them 4th top of that. They do need to buck their ideas up for qualifying for next years competition though. Corinthians will probably progess though given Boca's inability to defend this season.

Cheers Disco. :thup:

Moving to Colombia next week and hopefully gonna live there for a while, in Medellin most likely. Any suggestions on whether I should be cheering for Nacional or Medellin?

Cheers Disco. :thup:

Moving to Colombia next week and hopefully gonna live there for a while, in Medellin most likely. Any suggestions on whether I should be cheering for Nacional or Medellin?

Nice one man, teaching over there? Supposed to be an amazing county, gutted I never went when I was over that way.

I have no idea. Go to a couple of games of both and see which you prefer, that's how I'd rock it.

Only thing I know about either is that Nacional were Escobar & Tino's team.

Aye, teaching is the plan. Proper excited about getting there, everyone says it's class. :)

I'll probably end up with Nacional as my team anyway, a former student who has moved back there is a big fan so good chance I'll head to a game with him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Barcelona_SC_logo.png

:smitten:

One of my neighbours is from Guayaquil, actually, came over the neighbourhood supermarket and bought a beer to everybody who was present when they won the league last year. They aren't doing too great this season though.

Is Eder Balanta the one that Tim Vickery waxes lyrically over?

aye.....apparently he`s played only a handful of games (5 or 6) for River and he was voted MOTM in most of them including the Boca - River game (IIRC).

Colombia are pretty lacking in quality central defenders (evidenced by an aging 37 year old Mario Yepes still in the squads) so to have someone with the potential of Balanta is great for them. Better for him if he stays at River for his development but money talks.

PS: what do you think about Dede transferring to Cruzeiro rather than go abroad?

Is Eder Balanta the one that Tim Vickery waxes lyrically over?

PS: what do you think about Dede transferring to Cruzeiro rather than go abroad?

I like it, he had a lot of injury troubles last season so I think he needs another season to play football again. I think he did the right decision and I think Scolari is going to pick between him and Rever come the World Cup. Depending on who's the better in the Brazilian league he will choose. Luiz, Dante and Silva have cemented their spot and rightly so.

Ref just missed one of the most blatant handballs ever. When Emerson appealed for it ge got a yellow, while the defender who boxed the ball had a yellow already himself. Referee has already lost control of this game missing stuff constantly.:lol:

Now the ref blows for offside when Romarinho scores and he was onside by a meter or two. f*** me, this is worse refereeing than the PL. And now Boca scores. f*** OFF REFS! Lucky cross from Riquelme that goes straight in.

Paulinho 1-1 in the 50th. Need to score another two. If it wasn't for the refs we'd be 3-0 up already, Boca are horrible.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  :'( :'(

Ref just disallowed a second goal for offside when Gil was clearly onside. Boca getting away with murder. Unbelievable.  And now Pato with one of the greatest miss of all times.

End of game.

Corinthians should've won this by 6. Boca really made a case for being last in the Argentine league and a fluke goal seals them through...Paraguayan ref was embarrassing.

I wonder how managing in the Peruvian Primera Division is likely to work out for Nobby in terms of moving on to bigger leagues? It seems odd that he wouldn't have taken more of a shot at trying to manage a League 1 or League 2 club.

Just watched the highlights from the Boca game, man they were lucky. Can't believe Newell's ran through against Velez too. Fancy them to do Boca in the next round.