On this day...

Tooj

I was gutted leaving the ground but the feeling was 20 times worse leaving Ewood five days later  :'( :'( :'(

Last home game of this season, Rafa's last home game. Liverpool need a win to stay alive in the title race.

Your commentary team Martin Tyler and Jamie Carragher.

93rd minute, score is 3-3.  SJP is loud and singing about Rafa.

Tyler: Perez..hanging on for man of the match..Perez..Almiron..Perez..........still Ayoze Perez....Joselu closing iiinnnnnn!!!!!! Newcastle lead in stoppage time!!!!!

Carragher: You absolute divvy! Do one you soft spanish c***.

klopp goes bonkers. SJP goes wild. Rafa doesnt know whether to celebrate or cry.

• 2 weeks later...

Abysmal FA Cup semi final defeat in Cardiff and Shearer's farewell at the Mackems.

Reading the .com report on the former. Now sat all depressed in the Venetian sun. Champion.

That semi we stopped overnight  in Gloucester. Drove there then train to Cardiff. Same coming out but no overnight we made Wetherby and I rang a mate to see where he was........."Still in the fucking coach park in Cardiff!"

The night we stopped over there were a few Blackburn fans as they had played that day. Impromptu games of street football. We used a football to guide us to pubs. Punt it down the street and go in the nearest pub to where it landed.

Abysmal FA Cup semi final defeat in Cardiff and Shearer's farewell at the Mackems.

Reading the .com report on the former. Now sat all depressed in the Venetian sun. Champion.

Bus to Cardiff 3am Sunday, got back 2am Monday. Was in year 11, weeks away from my GCSEs and fell asleep in double physics on the Monday morning. Cool as fuck story, I know.

My favourite Shearer goal! Everyone seems to forget how good Shola’s was too! Look at the black and white shirts in the ground as well! Pride in the Club back then! I’m sure we helped Arsenal win the league this day iirc as they played Spurs away after this?!

My favourite Shearer goal! Everyone seems to forget how good Shola’s was too! Look at the black and white shirts in the ground as well! Pride in the Club back then! I’m sure we helped Arsenal win the league this day iirc as they played Spurs away after this?!

I have absolutely no memory of their keeper. I thought Cudicini was in goal that day :-D

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager with a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager and has a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.

What exactly were Fergusons full comments? I've searched a bit now and before and this is all I've found:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/15/sir-alex-ferguson-mind-games

Ferguson gave the interview that would eventually send Keegan into meltdown. "I can't understand the Leeds players," his diatribe began. "I'm absolutely in support of their manager. He doesn't deserve his players. If they had played like that all season they'd be near the top. They raised their game because they were playing Manchester United. It was pathetic. I think we can accept any club coming here and trying their hardest, so long as they do it every week."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11586896/The-full-story-of-Kevin-Keegans-I-will-love-it-rant.html

As United’s form started to look ominous, Ferguson decided to turn the screw by suggesting teams like Nottingham Forest might not try as hard against Newcastle as they did against his side.

It saddens me a little bit that a whole generation of people will only associate Keegan with the time he kicked off with his headphones on.  Sky in particular love bringing this moment up, but never seem to point out that Ferguson’s comments were out of order and they like to make Keegan out to be some silly little jumped up man who thought he could go toe to toe with Fergie.  The man was an absolutely legendary footballer and was also a very good manager aswell.  He has a 50% win ratio over his career, compare that to someone like Fat Sam who is apparently a good manager and has a 39% win ratio.  I wish he was recognised a bit more for that.

What exactly were Fergusons full comments? I've searched a bit now and before and this is all I've found:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/15/sir-alex-ferguson-mind-games

Ferguson gave the interview that would eventually send Keegan into meltdown. "I can't understand the Leeds players," his diatribe began. "I'm absolutely in support of their manager. He doesn't deserve his players. If they had played like that all season they'd be near the top. They raised their game because they were playing Manchester United. It was pathetic. I think we can accept any club coming here and trying their hardest, so long as they do it every week."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11586896/The-full-story-of-Kevin-Keegans-I-will-love-it-rant.html

As United’s form started to look ominous, Ferguson decided to turn the screw by suggesting teams like Nottingham Forest might not try as hard against Newcastle as they did against his side.

I don’t have the full quotes but he basically suggested that teams like Leeds and Nottingham Forest would try harder against Man Utd because it’s Man Utd and they’d rather Newcastle win the title or something along those lines. 

Some would call it clever from Fergie i guess, a bit like a player who deliberately “wins” a penalty.  Personally it’s not a part of the game i enjoy.

That was Keegan's strength and greatest weakness, very sensitive and very emotional. it's what made him such an inspiring manager and put him so closely in touch with the fans and the city. But ultimately why he couldn't handle management at the top level for very long.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-kevin-keegans-i-11261446

Sorry for just posting the link. The site crashes my pc when I try to scroll due to all the horrible ads, video ads and buggy scripts they force onto it so I'm not able to. Appreciate if anyone with a high end PC could copy&paste article so I can read it in its entirety as it seems to explain a bit more what Keegan meant with his Stuart Pearce comments etc.