On this day...

Tooj

Guest Howaythetoon

£7m

How much would we get for him today?

Around whatever Jaime Vardy is values at I guess.

Nearer Kane than Vardy. Cole was a more well-rounded player with a much better goal scoring record. Cole was also 23 at the time, whereas Vardy's 30.

Feel like Shearer = Kane, so Cole would be someone worth half a Shearer/Kane.

No way, Cole was the hottest property in the league when we sold him. Just as valuable as Shearer.

Not sure about that like. It's not as if he kept Shearer out of the England line-up; not even next in line.

He was like, Shearer was still recovering from a major injury and don't use his lack of England senior appearances as an indicator of his worth at the time as back then younger players tended to gain their stripes in the under 21s before getting into the senior side.

Guest firetotheworks

£7m

Nearer Kane than Vardy. Cole was a more well-rounded player with a much better goal scoring record. Cole was also 23 at the time, whereas Vardy's 30.

No way, Cole was the hottest property in the league when we sold him. Just as valuable as Shearer.

Not sure about that like. It's not as if he kept Shearer out of the England line-up; not even next in line.

Nor did Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler or the other brilliant strikers England had then. Cole was constantly mentioned as someone who should be playing for England at the time as well, with Rob Lee getting his first cap along with the obligatory 'but still no place for Andy Cole'' mentioned afterwards.  Cole had just scored over 40 goals in a newly promoted side. At the time of Cole being sold he was in the same bracket imo.

£7m

He was like, Shearer was still recovering from a major injury and don't use his lack of England senior appearances as an indicator of his worth at the time as back then younger players tended to gain their stripes in the under 21s before getting into the senior side.

Nah. Cole had one England B appearance and relatively few senior appearances. For a direct comparison with a contemporary from the same nation, why not use (amongst other things) whether this 'equally valuable' player kept their equally valuable counterpart out of the Striker berth. I was a big fan of Cole (right until the 'fat Geordie bastard' singing about Keegan) but Shearer was twice the player (almost literally if by value you're only talking transfer fees).

Guest Howaythetoon

£7m

Nah. Cole had one England B appearance and relatively few senior appearances. For a direct comparison with a contemporary from the same nation, why not use (amongst other things) whether this 'equally valuable' player kept their equally valuable counterpart out of the Striker berth. I was a big fan of Cole (right until the 'fat Geordie b******' singing about Keegan) but Shearer was twice the player (almost literally if by value you're only talking transfer fees).

No-one is denying Shearer was the better player, but Cole was the record transfer fee at the time and was worth just as much, the same or more than Shearer when we sold him regardless of who was the better player. He was literally the hottest property in England and one of the hottest in the world.

Guest firetotheworks

You're making a worthless point tbh, Venables had a preference for Shearer and he tied down the place. Using that as a measure of a player is just daft. Hindsight shows that Shearer was the better player, but we're talking about at the time Cole was sold.

Guest Howaythetoon

You're making a worthless point tbh, Venables had a preference for Shearer and he tied down the place. Using that as a measure of a player is just daft. Hindsight shows that Shearer was the better player, but we're talking about at the time Cole was sold.

No-one could get into the side ahead of Shearer and England had arguably the best pool of strikers, forwards and goalscorers in the world at the time.

I stand by my view that Andy Cole when we sold him was the most valuable player in the league. Lets not forget KK has since said he valued Gillespie at 4m or that's how much he would have bid for him - at the time.

Shearer was the best striker in the country at the time, but he was recovering from injury, slightly older and not available at any price until we smashed the world record fee for him.

I remember the caretaker at school telling me and I didn't believe him, absolutely broke my heart as a 9 year old.

Also whenever you hear Cole speak it's like he never played for us. He never mentions what KK did for him and all you hear is how good it was to play with Dwight Yorke and there's never anything about Beardsley in there (he probably racially abused him now come to think of it). Either way I think Cole's a Cunt.

£7m

Yet cost less than half a Shearer.

I hope you're intentionally being flippant here.

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember the caretaker at school telling me and I didn't believe him, absolutely broke my heart as a 9 year old.

Also whenever you hear Cole speak it's like he never played for us. He never mentions what KK did for him and all you hear is how good it was to play with Dwight Yorke and there's never anything about Beardsley in there (he probably racially abused him now come to think of it). Either way I think Cole's a c***.

He has given a few interviews and did a few talk ins where he has had nothing but praise for us, KK etc. He was here a short spell and while he was hugely successful I think personally it wasn't the best time for him. I've forgave him for the singing, I just think he was taken in by the moment and went along with it.

As a player on and off the pitch when he was with us... WOW! Again I loved the man and he still holds a soft spot in my heart for him.

Guest Howaythetoon

£7m

Yet cost less than half a Shearer.

I hope you're intentionally being flippant here.

2 years later after a 36 goal campaign and top scorer in the Euros and with a new TV deal and extra CL spot opened up...

Cole would have went for a similar figure if Man Utd looked to sell him then which they may well have done had they secured Shearer. I remember Villa, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal all linked with him not long after we signed Shearer for fees in the same kind of bracket.

Guest Howaythetoon

Looking back I still think we undersold him, given we paid 6m for Sir Les the following summer and Collymore went for 7.5m. I think that's more down to the fact KK badly wanted Gillespie though who KK obviously valued highly and you could see why. He wanted that head of Sir Les' to be crossed into on the wings to do what he did best, leap, head, goal.

Guest firetotheworks

Also whenever you hear Cole speak it's like he never played for us. He never mentions what KK did for him and all you hear is how good it was to play with Dwight Yorke and there's never anything about Beardsley in there (he probably racially abused him now come to think of it). Either way I think Cole's a c***.

He has given a few interviews and did a few talk ins where he has had nothing but praise for us, KK etc. He was here a short spell and while he was hugely successful I think personally it wasn't the best time for him. I've forgave him for the singing, I just think he was taken in by the moment and went along with it.

As a player on and off the pitch when he was with us... WOW! Again I loved the man and he still holds a soft spot in my heart for him.

In his XI on Sky it was all Man United players apart from Beardsley like. He didn't have much time to talk about it, but obviously said he was brilliant. I'm with Tooj though, he doesn't give anywhere near enough credit to Keegan and his time here imo. Whenever he talks about being here it's nigh on always about the attention being too much for him and his wife (saying that like, living in Crook was a mental choice [emoji38]) and it's all kind of fleeting comments before getting back to wanking off Man United.

He lived in Crook? The f***?

At first, then he moved to an apartment in Jesmond, my mate installed his mirror in his newly black and white tiled bathroom the week before he left.

Well, I’m making a point that isn’t compatible with your conclusion, so it probably doesn’t have any worth to you. And saying that consistently being selected above a very good pool of English strikers at the time is just to do with one manager’s bias and isn’t ‘a measure’ of a player’s value (to the team) seems ‘daft’ to me. Venables and others picked him because regardless of current form they knew his potential value.  Also, the season Cole was sold Shearer scored 34 league goals for the Champions. Cole scored 21 (12 for Manure). They had scored 31 and 34 league goals, respectively, the season before. Cole’s first full season at Old Trafford 95-96 produced 11 league goals for the champions (cunts); Shearer scored over 30 again for Blackburn who had fallen off the pace to a 7th place finish.

If I turn your worthless comment into something more sensible, then I have some sympathy for your view; in that any particular ‘stat’ doesn’t prove or disprove a point. Thing is though around ‘the time Cole was sold’ Shearer was having the best period of his career; absolutely in his pomp. Whether it is international caps, goals scored, all round contribution, there is not much support, imo, for your conclusion about their relative value. Cole was just never as good a player, imo. Not trying to persuade you; you’ll believe what you believe, doesn’t mean others who disagree are either biased or daft.

• 3 weeks later...