Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Nah. Defoe, Rooney, Crouch, Heskey and Walcott as a winger/striker for me.

Out of interest, given their respective seasons, why should Walcott be ahead of Owen? Wright Phillips and Lennon have impressed on the wings. Milner and Young would also be ahead of Walcott imo, at this current stage.

Lennon would start on the right for me but doesn't get nearly enough goals. Walcott is capable of that and I'd be much happier having him on the bench (pace, good dribbling ability, eye for goal) than Owen who will make the runs but will mess up the dynamics of the team and offer next to nothing in the build up. SWP wouldn't get in the squad if I was picking it either fwiw.

Nah. Defoe, Rooney, Crouch, Heskey and Walcott as a winger/striker for me.

Out of interest, given their respective seasons, why should Walcott be ahead of Owen? Wright Phillips and Lennon have impressed on the wings. Milner and Young would also be ahead of Walcott imo, at this current stage.

Lennon would start on the right for me but doesn't get nearly enough goals. Walcott is capable of that and I'd be much happier having him on the bench (pace, good dribbling ability, eye for goal) than Owen who will make the runs but will mess up the dynamics of the team and offer next to nothing in the build up. SWP wouldn't get in the squad if I was picking it either fwiw.

Walcott gets plenty of goals? Really? I know Lennon doesn't but he's just as "capable".

I'm prepared to give him a chance but he has a lot to prove in the coming months. If Owen is the one scoring the goals (and it's a big if, because at the moment I wouldn't) then I'd without doubt take him. Wouldn't start him like.

I also realise your point in that Walcott can play more than one position, but not effectively as far as I can see. We already have the likes of Lennon, SWP, Young to choose from in terms of direct pace, and Defoe in that respect up front.

I don't like SWP, he's not the player he was and tends to need about 3 attempts to get crosses right. Young is more of a player who'll recieve it, work a yard and then cross, which is fine, but I like Walcott because he's direct and prepared to run with the ball from deep and also gets in the box. He's got a good opportunity now with van persie and Bendtner injured to get a run of games (provided he doesn't get injured himself) and prove himself. He wouldn't start, but he's a much better option from the bench than Owen imo, Owen really doesn't suit our team at all, we'll be playing with two wingers and probably aiming for Heskey (ugh) I don't back Owen to pick up the scraps anymore. Obviously we'll see in the next months, but in this moment I'd take Walcott cos he's got more to his game.

Guest neesy111

Reckon he'll take 5 strikers & Owen will sneak in there. He'll get in over agbonlahor & Bent.

if owen get's in ahead of bent, bent has 10 league goals or something now, he has 2

capello will need shooting if he does that

He has the experience the others dont, thats the difference. He's played for us on the big stage before & is less likely to have his performances effected by the pressure of the situation. Bent/Agbonlahor are more likely to put in average performances for England at the WC, depends how confident theyd be going into it. If Owen has even a decent/good season though, i think he'll get in ahead.

You only have to look at how the England squad has done without him.

His only hope of going to the world cup is an injury to Berbatov and then maybe he can forge a partnership with Rooney in the league. At the moment he's not even getting league games let alone goals. He has a lot of convincing to do, he has to be playing and scoring regularly. A few goals against Wolfsburg and this debate has opened up again, it's absurd. It's years since he proved his form and fitness. Going to the world cup with excuses ready about match fitness is not something I imagine Capello will accept. He's looking to build a winning team and to date has not considered Owen a part of that. It'll take regular football and regular goals to convince him otherwise, not cameo appearances and a few goals in Europe.

His only hope of going to the world cup is an injury to Berbatov and then maybe he can forge a partnership with Rooney in the league. At the moment he's not even getting league games let alone goals. He has a lot of convincing to do, he has to be playing and scoring regularly. A few goals against Wolfsburg and this debate has opened up again, it's absurd. It's years since he proved his form and fitness. Going to the world cup with excuses ready about match fitness is not something I imagine Capello will accept. He's looking to build a winning team and to date has not considered Owen a part of that. It'll take regular football and regular goals to convince him otherwise, not cameo appearances and a few goals in Europe.

And this is my point. Of course at the moment he shouldn't be going, but say he was scoring regularly in the next 20-25 games. Surely he must be at the very least a serious consideration?

And this is my point. Of course at the moment he shouldn't be going, but say he was scoring regularly in the next 20-25 games. Surely he must be at the very least a serious consideration?

Surely this goes for most players?

Well let's have that debate when he actually starts playing and scoring regularly. It's a long time since he did that.

Manchester United strikers not named Wayne Rooney aren't having the most brilliant seasons, surely Owen will get his chance at some point.

He's got to find the goals which they have lost from Ronaldo. Good luck to him on that one. If the fickle manc fans aren't abusing him from every corner of old trafford by the end of the season he'll have done well. Little shit that he is.

There's as much chance of that happening as there is of me shagging Cheryl Cole tonight.

Surely this goes for most players?

It does. I'm just get the feeling that with what's gone on with Owen at Newcastle, people would refuse to see him there regardless.